218 replies to this topic

#81 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

When I pointed to him, his palms slipped slightly, leaving greasy sweat streaks on the wall, and he hooked his thumbs in his belt. A strange small spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate, but as I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbor's image blurred with my sudden tears.
"Hey, Boo."

First time through the book, I said it with her. One of the single most powerful moments in a book I've ever experienced.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#82 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Still in the midst of the Night Angel Trilogy, but it's hard to carry around with all my work/class stuffs...

Just finished some Batman graphic novels. The Black mirror and Court of Owls 1. Just borrowed Hush from my friend Chris, as I see him like a library now. :) 

YYXNUYi.jpg

#83 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Started reading The Aeneid for reasons unknown.

Kinda like a Shakespearian era book, 

It's allgoods if you can decipher what they're on about lol.

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#84 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Started reading The Aeneid for reasons unknown.

Kinda like a Shakespearian era book, 

It's allgoods if you can decipher what they're on about lol.

Rob, you're about 1500 years off on your mark. Jesus probably owned a third edition of that book. And do you have a copy with a layman's transation on the side? We read that book in Latin and had to have the teacher expain a whole lot, even with the simple version on the opposite page.

And The Aeneid is even better if you read The Iliad and The Odyssey. The Odyssey is in my top five of all time.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#85 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Still in the midst of the Night Angel Trilogy, but it's hard to carry around with all my work/class stuffs...

Just finished some Batman graphic novels. The Black mirror and Court of Owls 1. Just borrowed Hush from my friend Chris, as I see him like a library now. :)

I loved the Night Angel books. If you really enjoyed them I totally recommend Brent Week's Lightbringer series. His writing really matures in this series, I have The Blinding Knife waiting for me to read but I have a lot of classes to take care of and I completely forget what happens in the first book because I read it over a year ago, so I might need to read that one again too. 

As for what I'm reading now, I am reading Head First Design Patterns as recommended by my prof. I have to say it's pretty interesting. I never thought I'd enjoy books on software design. I thought I was more for fiction. 

#86 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Rob, you're about 1500 years off on your mark. Jesus probably owned a third edition of that book. And do you have a copy with a layman's transation on the side? We read that book in Latin and had to have the teacher expain a whole lot, even with the simple version on the opposite page.

And The Aeneid is even better if you read The Iliad and The Odyssey. The Odyssey is in my top five of all time.

There we go, I now have a book to take with me on my flight.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#87 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I'm currently reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, I also started to reread the Harry Potter Series but I haven't gotten very far ^^

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#88 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm currently reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, I also started to reread the Harry Potter Series but I haven't gotten very far ^^

Is Eleanor & Park any good? I read Fangirl by the same author and I thought it was pretty good. 

#89 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Is Eleanor & Park any good? I read Fangirl by the same author and I thought it was pretty good. 

I only read about 1/3 so far but I quite like it. It makes me feel 15 again and in love for the first time... :wub: ;)

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#90 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

reading the hobbit and the lord of the rings (all 3 books)

200.gif

#91 bookfloss

bookfloss

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Just started Hunter's Planet1 - book 2 in the original AVP novel series2.     (...so far so good  :wub: )

1  http://avp.wikia.com...Hunter's_Planet

2  http://en.wikipedia...._(novel_series)

"Normal is what everyone else is and you're not."  Malcolm McDowell

#92 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

So I finished the book, I quite liked it, but the end is a bit unsatisfactory.. now I'm reading "the ghost bride" by Yangsze Choo but I'm not very far in and I'm still figuring out what's going on..

#93 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Yep I know :) I was merely explaining the complexity of the book. (Shakespeare era - 1600AD, The Aeneid - 1500BC)

Back in Classics we read the first 2 or 3 books? Still as confusing as ever.

Haha I do not have any translation books, but I am using somebody's blog to decipher certain chapters.

But it doesn't matter, I get the gist of the story.... sort of... :)

Here's what I've deciphered so far.....

Troy burns

Aeneis Escapes with the sword Prince Paris gave him

Gods fighting

Carthage destruction is predicted

Aeneis goes to the underworld to talk to his father? lol

The foundation of Rome is laid....

I'm still reading it piece by piece. A chapter a day :)

#94 Hypnotize

Hypnotize

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Neverwhere.   It rocks.

#95 Nerdfatha

Nerdfatha

Byte

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationThe suburbs

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

I just finished reading John Dies at the End. Loved it! I have a non fix about the sordid history of Marvel Comics that I'm about to start. I do also have to finish some borrowed comics: the Fear Agent series and the Age of Apocolypse.

Look! I have a blog! How lame.
http://Dropthecontrols.blogspot.com

I have a horror blog. Scary lame!

http://dropthesanity.blogspot.com

#96 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Currently reading Nihonjin101: Beginners Guide To Japanese

Ok I started reading Goosebumps, found an old stack of my books from primary school.

Started with One Day At Horrorland.

I duno if I'm going to finish it, it's sooooooo bad.

#97 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

I duno if I'm going to finish it, it's sooooooo bad.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! I'LL KILL YOU AND WEAR YOUR BOOTS!

You know, this is the reason I don't pick up books from my childhood. I know Goosebumps is probably shit, but when I was a kid, it was the shit. I can't even imagine how bad The Boxcar Children would be.

The one you're talking about, is it the choose-your-own adventure? I think I remember it, Or maybe not. Might be the monster blood one I'm thinking of.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#98 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! I'LL KILL YOU AND WEAR YOUR BOOTS!

You know, this is the reason I don't pick up books from my childhood. I know Goosebumps is probably shit, but when I was a kid, it was the shit. I can't even imagine how bad The Boxcar Children would be.

The one you're talking about, is it the choose-your-own adventure? I think I remember it, Or maybe not. Might be the monster blood one I'm thinking of.

LOL

Nah it's actually a part of the O.G series.

I collected the books, but never read them. I watched the television series back in the day and thought it was gods gift to this Earth.

Interesting, I did not know that a preteen Ryan Gosling starred in an episode

627.jpg

I'll try reading Night of The Living Dummy or The Haunted Mask next lol

#99 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I was always way more into Are You Afraid of the Dark? versus Goosebumps on telly. The books were okay, but I preferred Christopher Pike at that time for that sort of genre.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#100 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

I was always way more into Are You Afraid of the Dark? versus Goosebumps on telly. The books were okay, but I preferred Christopher Pike at that time for that sort of genre.

100th post wooooo

I think I've heard of that series before but I'm not quite sure. Sounds vaguely familiar.... but it's been soooooo long..... From what I think I know it was short lived.... 

Wait.... isn't Christopher Pike the original captain of the USS Enterprise????