218 replies to this topic

#61 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

I physically picked up a copy of that in my library some time ago. I looked at it, went, "Hey, rad." and put it back down.

I now regret that decision.

So far it is one of the better books I have read in a long time.

I haven't finished Boneshaker yet, which is book in in a series of four so far I think.

I have all four, I just need to find the time to read them.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#62 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Snow crash, Fahrenheit 451, animal farm, mirrorshades, neuromancer.

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#63 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Just re-read Days of Future past, because I'm rather excited for the movie. 

I think I'd like to go through a lot of comics I read when I was younger and compare them to newer ones.

I admit, when I was little it was so much easier in a sense to be into comics (and also afford them) but now with all the multiverses I feel so overwhelmed and behind that I just nab some from my friends. 

I've been reading the Night Angel trilogy -The Night Angel Trilogy is a fantasy series written by Brent Weeks. The story follows the life of Azoth (later Kylar Stern) as he struggles as a guild rat to become the ultimate wetboy (an assassin with magical talent, such as the ability to muffle sound or to block an attack), but then tries to leave it all behind and finally becomes the avatar of retribution: the Night Angel.

It's a bit big to carry with me though, so I've been slacking on my reading lately, which makes me a sad panda. :(

YYXNUYi.jpg

#64 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Oh, Night Angel tril was great. It's like finding a single thread of yarn that you slowly follow, tugging along until you find the tangled mess that is book two. Then Weeks weaves it into an epic ending of gold. And yet, so many untold stories. Damn, good stuff.

Also, Durzo might be the only man in fiction that could assassinate Batman.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#65 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm waiting for Brent Weeks to start the next Night Angel series. On his Facebook page, he seems to acknowledge that the world of Midcyru will continue. Personally, I want more Vi >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#66 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Yay, that is glorious that you two have read it. I'm honestly slacking because after work and then getting home from class really late it seems like I'll lay in bed and read for awhile... and then ultimately realize I retained nothing of what I read for the past few pages. 

Oh, if only there were more hours in the day! 

YYXNUYi.jpg

#67 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

I bought the entire trilogy (book store I shop at had a buy 2, get 1 free deal) and powered through the whole thing in 4 days. Since then I've probably reread each book at least 30 times. Weeks is up there with Margaret Weis and Karen Miller as my favourite authors.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#68 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm attempting to read "The Time Machine Did It" by John Swartzwelder. It's a super short book but it can be hard to get back into reading.

#69 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have re-picked up To Kill a Mockingbird, which was a recommendation from a friend years ago in college. Best book anyone has ever recommended to me.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#70 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have re-picked up To Kill a Mockingbird, which was a recommendation from a friend years ago in college. Best book anyone has ever recommended to me.

I was disappointed with that book, which taught me nothing about killing mockingbirds.

It did however teach me to not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but when the hell am i going to use that?

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#71 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I dunno, everyone's white, anyway, aren't they?

#72 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was disappointed with that book, which taught me nothing about killing mockingbirds.

Nope, but I know how to handle rabid dogs. Atticus Finch was my hero as a kid. Badass nerd and all that. Great book, and one of the few films based on a book that wasn't a pile of stercus.

I secretly like to imagine that if I ever had a daughter she would turn out to be Scout.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#73 HelloNerdySam

HelloNerdySam

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

At the moment I'm currently reading The Maze Runner. It lookes like a pretty good series to check out. ^_^

giphy.gif

#74 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Man, To Kill a Mockingbird was what got me interested in studying law for a little while. Third or fourth favourite book of all time.

Hmm, I keep meaning to get the Necronomicon out at some point and read the Call of Cthulhu finally but I can't be arsed to start it. Sometimes you have to psyche yourself up a bit to give H.P Lovecraft a chance. I might read Republic for the third time and actually try and finish it or Paradise Lost but...urgh middle English.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#75 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Java: How to Program.

I'm not sure where the plot is going yet.

#76 chipships

chipships

Byte

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

i start reading the harry potter saga 

now i am reading the prisoner of azkaban

#77 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

Java: How to Program.

I'm not sure where the plot is going yet.

Damn my being out of "likes" for today.

#78 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

No Angel by Penny Vincenzi. It's my second attempt, I got about 3/4 of the way last time and got bored.

#79 Draake

Draake

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm currently reading The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I had quite a few prejudices, because the book (series) was published by Harlequin, which is a romantic/smut trash book publisher, but apparently they have a side unit which is focused on vampire/werewolf/other low fantasy series. So far the book has gone waaay over my expectations, which is awesome, because now I know what to read next.

I'm also reading Alastalon Salissa, which is written by Volter Kilpi. Basically, it's a book which has been nominated as the best finnish book in our country. The whole book is 400 pages of compactly printed half-of-a-page long phrases, which cause the story to be well-portrayed and lyrical, but painfully tiresome and a pain in the you-know-what to read. I honestly would've never even read this damned brick, if I hadn't made a bet with my finnish literature teacher, and well.. Damn.

And I just recently finished reading Fahrenheit 451. It was a good book, depressing from time to time, with a lot of deeper meanings behind the story, and I recommend it for everyone.

#80 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

The Eagle & The Wolves, by Simon Scarrow. It's a pretty neat series of books overall, focusing on two Roman soldiers. I've never been a huge fan of things based on Roman history/mythology, but this is pretty good.

LL1Yc5i.gif