22 replies to this topic

#1 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

I just finished watching the original series and started on Enterprise.

I can't handle the theme songs guys.....

xD Why are they so off the wall?

#2 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

I can't actually can't get into it at all. I'm just not a fan

Ginger, is the spice of life

#3 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

I just finished watching the original series and started on Enterprise.

I can't handle the theme songs guys.....

xD Why are they so off the wall?

Because space, the final frontier, knows no bounds.

So why would it's theme music?

;)

I can't actually can't get into it at all. I'm just not a fan

To be in to Star Trek you have to have at least some level of appreciation for the cheese factor.

It likes to pretend it's a serious science fiction franchise, but in reality it's a goofball science fiction franchise with serious intentions.

That's why a lot of people prefer Star Wars.

The original Star Wars movies were securely science fantasy as opposed to science fiction, which was perfect for them.

Before they got all midi-chlorian on us it was just a family of space psychics romping around the universe fucking everything up with their bullshit drama and swords made of lasers. It was a simper time.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#4 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

I do like Star Wars and I can appreciate people imagination to further the movies, as long as it's not too far off. But I'm definitely way way way more into LOTR, hobbit, tenth kingdom, seeker type stuff. I just don't care about space

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

High fantasy is definitely in my wheelhouse too.

I like it all really, but science fantasy and high fantasy are probably my preferred mediums.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Also I have a fear of being lost in space

#7 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

I don't care for the Star Trek television series but the three newer movies are amazing.

Star Trek was always there but I preferred the medieval growing up. I had late school nights staying up and watching Hercules and Xena. Just couldn't get into Star Trek.

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

I don't care for the Star Trek television series but the three newer movies are amazing.

Star Trek was always there but I preferred the medieval growing up. I had late school nights staying up and watching Hercules and Xena. Just couldn't get into Star Trek.

Funny, because the newer movies are way more Star Wars style than any of the shows.

Fast paced space battles, super action filled, less science more fist to the face.

#9 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

I watched herc and zena after school!

#10 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Funny, because the newer movies are way more Star Wars style than any of the shows.
Fast paced space battles, super action filled, less science more fist to the face.

I was gonna say, I like the movies

#11 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

When it comes to television;

Firefly is really the only space series I love.

High fantasy, I'll take my sword & sorcery every which way I can get. Game of Thrones, Legend of the Seeker, the Shanara Chronicles, you name it.

Movies are a different story. Lots of love in both sides.

#12 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Nope, i just can't. I try, I'll try anything. But space never works. Librarians is good

#13 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

Star Trek is entertainment with underlying seriousness. I used to scoff at it but the more I watch the more it hits home. I absolutely love my fantasy but I'm talking SciFi. If you haven't read or watched Ender's Game I suggest everyone go do it. I think people prefer Star Wars (those that do) over Star Trek because it isn't "out there" enough for them. At the same time I can't get into ANYTHING where the primary point is love. Also as far as the music...oh em gee xD Enterprise theme is cheesier than the original. How many shows can you watch where everybody is mostly at each other over SPECIES not race and of all people its HUMANS teaching them that everybody should be equal. Especially shows that have lasted 50 years and continuing to add on. The new Star Trek is what got me into the old series. I rewatched Firefly and have been craving good SciFi since. I love space westerns and Star Trek had a Tombstone episode. Another underrated SciFi show is Red Dwarf which is full on cheese and goofball. Dune is on my to read list though... I think its SciFi/fantasy? 

#14 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

If you are saying Star Trek has morals to each episode, I understand but that was almost all shows back then. Plus it's a show not a movie.. which is also a big difference.

#15 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Like zena, and herc..

#16 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

It's Xena, I preferred Beast Master though, but I'm not talking about morals per episode or something learned. It was just known that you shouldn't be a shitty human from the start.

Also talking about Science Fiction not Fantasy.

#17 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

You are right I spelled it wrong oops. Yes it "taught" you how to not be shitty. Hahaha "morals" and I agree there is a difference between Sifi and fantasy and I see Star Wars as more fantasy than sifi

#18 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

I'm not saying there are morals to each episode. That is what you are saying.

#19 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

I am saying that yes, because you said it teaches you not to be a shitty person, to be good, humble, fair, just.. it was a popular thing to do in that time of making shows. It made it more family friendly. I'm not saying that's bad. I'm saying that is what they did. I've seen some episodes, and it happened. ANYWAY I just don't have a long lasting love for shows like that (except Merlin) because of the cheese factor. I watched a lot of shows with that essence, and I'm just spent. It's nostalgic but my enjoyment doesn't last long. Either way, I agree with you that they are two different genres and plus one is a show and one is a movie.

#20 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Sorry if I sound rude or upset, I'm not :D