20 replies to this topic

#1 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Guys, give me suggestions for good romantic comedies to watch. My experience with the genre is pretty much Toradora and The Taming of the Shrew.

Stuff that I won't hate. Stuff that I might actually finish. Doesn't matter if it's Netflix or Pirate bay (Did that get shut down? Whatever.)

Movie preferable. I probably won't have the patience for a long television series. Book would be great as well, so long as it's not harlequin romance levels of bad. Anime would be good as well. Golden Time is on my list, but I kinda hate that I missed out on it when it just ended. Fuck, I just remembered that author did Toradora too.

Also, those that like romantic comedies, why? What makes you like them? Usually I can't stand chick flicks. Is that what I'm thinking of? I watched Friends back in the day, but is that the same as You Got Mail? Rachel was pretty hot in Horrible Bosses. You know, with the lab coat?

I digress. Topic, go!

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#2 BloodPrince 2.0

BloodPrince 2.0

Megabyte

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

Ouran High School Host Club is pretty darn comedic - they make fun of a lot of stereotypes in there. One of my all time favourite anime.
“The exchange went unnoticed by the world, just one
other of many exchanges between a multitude of
strangers, acquaintances, friends, or enemies all around.”

#3 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

500 Days of Summer and Love Actually are among my favorites.

If you watch Adventure Time, Marceline The Vampire Queen is the little girl who sings at the end of Love Actually.

Oh and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#4 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'm having a hard time thinking of a romantic comedy I'd actually watch more than once...

Hrrm...

Hitch, maybe?

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#5 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Crazy, stupid love, crazy beautiful, Elizabethan town, my sisters keeper, what dreams may come, ps I love you

Ginger, is the spice of life

#6 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

500 Days of Summer and Love Actually are among my favorites.

If you watch Adventure Time, Marceline The Vampire Queen is the little girl who sings at the end of Love Actually.

Oh and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. :)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a good one. I'll probably actually watch that. I feel like I should force myself to watch Love Actually, but I probably can't do it.

Ouran High School Host Club is pretty darn comedic - they make fun of a lot of stereotypes in there. One of my all time favourite anime.

The only shojo I ever read was the one where the ugly girl lets four pretty boys live with her. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't get into the book. It was back when my buddy bought those thick comics that came out every month like Jump. I'll try the anime for this one cuz it looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a romantic comedy I'd actually watch more than once...

Hrrm...

Hitch, maybe?

Seen Hitch. It wasn't bad, but it made me miss the days when Will Smith was the prince instead of what he's became. Good one, though.

Crazy, stupid love, crazy beautiful, Elizabethan town, my sisters keeper, what dreams may come, ps I love you

PPS, love you too, babe.

Crazy, Stupid Love looks pretty decent. It's definitely on the list. The rest are perfect, but that one looks the most interesting. Exactly what I was thinking of, too.

Thanks, everyone.

#7 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

I'm telling you ALL, you have to watch what dreams may come! Hands down one of the best love movies EVER! RIP Robin Williams

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

What is considered comedy is sort of a personal opinion.

I tend to avoid the Adam Sandler, zany plot, loser wins the girl against all odds stuff.

True Romance is probably my favourite movie that lands near the romantic comedy mark.

Not your traditional pick, but amazing and definitely a romance with some funny business.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

The name is true romance? I'm gonna drown my sorrows in some sappy movies, about how true love exists and some ice cream.

#10 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

I actually really like Adam Sandler's movies. I do think he plays his weaknesses when he does comedy, though. The main movie I remember him from is Click, and it was really, really good. It's a little bit comedy, but it's mostly just sad. It stems from him being given a universal remote control, which can actually control the world around him. So he does some little silly things with it, and then he starts to use it the way most normal people would. Feel sick? Fast-forward to when you're not sick. Fight with your girlfriend? Fast-forward to the make-up sex. And then it all goes to shit, and the ending just kills me.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#11 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

Billy Maddison, water boy, big daddy, mr deeds, happy Gilmore

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

The name is true romance? I'm gonna drown my sorrows in some sappy movies, about how true love exists and some ice cream.

Yes, True Romance is the name of the movie, and it is a Quentin Tarantino flick, and it is amazing.

Back when Adam Sandler movies were all about immature jokes and vaguely romantic notions.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

a Quentin Tarantino flick, and it is amazing.

You said the same thing twice

Back when he was funny, you mean. There will be moments when my friends and I will have nothing to say, I turn to them and say, "That Veronica Vahn is one hot piece of ass, if ya know what I mean." That and "I make Bryant Gumble look lie Malcolm X, huh, motherfucker?" are the best lines to kill a comfortable silence.

When I looked up True Romance I realized I actually watched it not too long ago in an attempt to watch all of Tarantino's flicks.

I only like zany when it's either tongue in cheek or outright horrible. Stuff in the middle just gets on my nerves. 

#14 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Have you seen keeping up with appearances

#15 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

I haven't, but it looks funny. I like BBC sitcoms like that.

#16 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

Merlin?

#17 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Films from my childhood. Not really good romantic comedies but good peabrain humor :)

Add Little Nicky to that list and IT'S ON!!!!!!

I actually remember watching Bridget Jones' Diary and quite enjoying it.

I'd recommend that you watch it in the company of a female ;)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#18 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

That is a very good chick flick!

#19 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

my sisters keeper

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

MY SISTER'S KEEPER IS NOT A ROM COM, that's an emotional roller coaster ride of a move that will leave you devastated and in tears! I remember finishing that book at midnight when my sister hears me crying in my room and asks me if I'm okay. I go to sleep after finishing the book, and when I wake up and go get breakfast and she's on the couch crying at the same part! 

Most rom coms that I know of I've already seen you talk about! Haganai, Nisekoi, Nozaki-kun. Oh! Have you seen Nodame Cantabile

#20 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

I know that one isn't but it's so good