Ginger, is the spice of life

#722 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

I actually took the day off today so that I could sleep in for a change. I've had these really bad headaches all week. But unfortunately I forgot to turn off my alarm clock. So now it's 7.48am and I just can't get back to sleep  :(

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#723 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

That sucks! I hear Ya on the sleep thing, it never seems to work out

#724 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

I can try again tomorrow :)

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#725 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationThere, Inside your mind...

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Certainly. But is a simple joke really something that deserves all of that? 

Oh. I don't know, maybe joking about a situation where trans people have been killed, and on top of that, there are laws in 49 states where the murderer is let off the hook (Look it up, it's called Trans Panic), is...I dunno, a really F**kin' bad idea?

2pphi03.gif

#726 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Oh. I don't know, maybe joking about a situation where trans people have been killed, and on top of that, there are laws in 49 states where the murderer is let off the hook (Look it up, it's called Trans Panic), is...I dunno, a really F**kin' bad idea?

You mean the one that stemmed from the gay panic defence, because of an actual psychological condition? Trans panic, as in the defence that mostly gets laughed out of court due to there being no evidence of 'transgender panic' being a medical condition? (Whereas homosexual panic has been accepted as a medical issue since... 1920?)

The thing is, I can't find it being a law that people get off scot free if they use this defence. The only claimant of this is you. California banned its use as a legal defence, but all of the 'high profile cases' I can find info on which used trans panic were jailed anyway. If you can prove otherwise, I'd be happy to back down on this point, but... burden of proof, etc.

Yes, it's awful. But what the fuck does it have to do with a joke?

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#727 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

Okay, maybe not got off scott free, I messed up in my wording, but the point still stands that it's a defense that is still legal in forty-fucking-nine states out of fifty, in 2015 mind you. Taking that into consideration, the joke feels uncomfortable and offensive and shocking for the hell of it. My main problem with it is I feel it's too big of an issue to really make a joke about. For example, I feel comfortable making jokes about WW2 and Nazis because while yes, the Nazis were awful people, They're not as powerful or as big a threat as they were when WW2 was at its peak. Same goes for the Spanish Inquisition. I find the Inquisition musical number in History of the world hysterical, and same with the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition, but the Spanish Inquisition's been over and done with for millions of years now. Now, I won't make jokes about the conflict in the middle east because there are still conflicts going on there. It just seems tasteless when there are real terrorists killing real people in the real world (Although I can still laugh at jokes at ISIS' because anyone who sympathises with them deserves to have their sensibilities offended, I just don't laugh at the fact that they've killed a huge amount of people). 

And I feel it's just not right to make jokes about a situation where trans women and men have gotten killed (The trans person's murder would've been more likely than Fireborn's suicide). 

2pphi03.gif

#728 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

My fucking job is drowning me in festering shit.

Oh, Gol.  :(

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#729 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

So, In one of my classes, we've been learning about things like the fresh water shortage and world hunger and how corporations have pretty much screwed over a lot of people. 

To put it lightly, it's been getting me down and I've been kind of panicking about the future. I keep contemplating dying young because I don't want to live in the hellhole of a future that this is going to inevitably create. I've been thinkig about the best way to die with some dignity, right now I'm contemplating dying in combat with a dangerous animal or dying while trying to save someone or a large amount of people.

I don't know if I'm saying this because I'm just upset or because I genuinley think there's no hope for the future, but either way, the alternative is living long enough to die of thirst or see the world become a war-ravaged dystopia. Yeah, I think I'mma go with dying young.

And I'm by no means saying it's a bad thing to learn about what's really going on in the world, I'm just saying it's depressing as fuck to think about and know that you can't change anything.

2pphi03.gif

#730 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:26 AM

Mate, are you for real? I'm sure I'll receive some bitching for saying this to you straight up but for goodness sake pull yourself together. If you have an existential crisis every time you turn on the news you need to toughen up; the way you're talking is an insult to people who have taken their lives over real problems. Maybe the people actually experiencing what you're seeing on the news.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#731 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

Honestly I have to agree with Gol. I just couldn't say it.

If you really feel strongly about this maybe you should find a way to help make this world a better place. I mean it's not like you can end world hunger but maybe you can pay for one persons lunch. Or do some kind of volunteer work. There are always places to help. I mean no one can save the world by himself but if everyone does something we are able to change things.

#732 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

If he cares so much about it there are plenty of NGO's that will ship him off to Central Africa to build schools and roads.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#733 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

I agree! What about the people that lived through some great tragedy? They stuck with it, and so should you. Life in general is hard. That's a very real fact. If it bugs you, then go out and help. You can really be do that you know. And others do it. But you don't just die early because you don't want to deal with it. The media drives rating about crazy stuff.. You need to chill out and just live the best you can. I don't mean just money either. Whatever is important to you, seek it out and do you. That is what life is. Without children you have so many open possibiies of charity and travel, that I and other parents will have to wait to be apart of. I think if you start living more you will realize each day is a grand thing filled with opportunity. Even around now.. You can change things and make a difference.

#734 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:58 AM

...Oh fuck did I really just type that?

I....Really wasn't thinking when I typed that. Sorry. I was just really tired and wasn't thinking about what I was saying and I might have been exaggerating. It was 1:00 in the morning and I really should've gone to bed because I have a tendancy to say really stupid things when I'm tired, like it feels like I have a looser grasp on what I can and can't say. And that's something I felt I could say. And looking at it now, it feels like  a right overdramatic thing to say. Lemme try and reword it:

The things going on around the things going on in the world have upset me and I feel strongly about it, but I don't feel like I can do much about it, and the future scares me because I don't know how good the future is going to be and my mind keeps exaggerating it into a dystopia, when we don't know the future yet.

2pphi03.gif

#735 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

I....Really wasn't thinking when I typed that. Sorry. I was just really tired and wasn't thinking about what I was saying and I might have been exaggerating. It was 1:00 in the morning and I really should've gone to bed because I have a tendancy to say really stupid things when I'm tired, like it feels like I have a looser grasp on what I can and can't say. And that's something I felt I could say. And looking at it now, it feels like  a right overdramatic thing to say. Lemme try and reword it:

The things going on around the things going on in the world have upset me and I feel strongly about it, but I don't feel like I can do much about it, and the future scares me because I don't know how good the future is going to be and my mind keeps exaggerating it into a dystopia, when we don't know the future yet.

It's all perspective, mate. I don't think any less of ya.

And they've got a point: the thing to do is DO SOMETHING. Just go pick up trash in your own neighborhood for an hour even. It'll make you feel better.

You can't lose hope. I refuse to believe that we will let the future become that wasteland.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#736 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Funny you say that sympa. I take my kids to pick up trash at parks often. We pick up and then go play.. Donating food and toys and house good, volenteer at a homeless shelter (I lived in one with my son for two months) there are a million ways to help save humanity and the most important are the small ones people over look. anxiety can really twist your mind.. And using only text to explain thoughts can be difficult. Me and gol had at it, over something we agree about, but because I worded it wrong it made it seem like I was making excuses for dumb people. We are all common here, and most of us are understanding people ready to see your point of view, but also ready to teach you knew ones. :)

#737 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

You're not alone
I used to do that all the time, hence why I'm so reserved in the things that I post.

Because I can...

#738 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

I considered posting something similar to Gol, but last time I did that everyone bitched me out so.

The world is an awful place, no mistake. But the point is to find that bit of cleanliness, that minuscule segment of beauty, and cling to it. Letting fear turn you away from that is just silly.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#739 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

I considered posting something similar to Gol, but last time I did that everyone bitched me out so.

I think it's less the message and more the way you present your message.

I've noticed that you like to make a habit of pointing out the harsh realities of life, which can be a good thing, but sometimes you can be too harsh in saying it, there are more cushioning ways to present these things. But you do people a favour by telling them to get up and take a spoonful of cement to harden the fuck up, it's just necessary sometimes.

Because I can...

#740 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

Well yeah. In my past experience, being basically slapped in the face was the only way to bring me out of whatever problems I was having at the time. Being shh-shhed and coddled just made me rely more and more on people, and the moment they couldn't be there for me I'd just break down completely. But having my weaknesses, my insecurities laid out in front of me in plain words made me realise that I was being an absolute retard, and I needed to suck it up and deal with it. Because I had problems, sure. But all I was doing by wallowing and harming myself was hurting the people who were giving as much of themselves as they could to try to help me. It made me realise that I wasn't even trying to get better, I was just trying to get people to give me attention. Because I wasn't trying to fix myself. I was waiting for someone with all the answers to do it for me, and that's not right.

Sometimes to get rid of a constant pain, you have to rip out what's causing it. And it hurts a lot. But then it stops.

LL1Yc5i.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, sadness, confused, rob$tar