• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kragular

Kragular

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

I am curious about nerd/geek history. Specifically when that culture was considered bad and when it became so popular. An example of what I am talking about is the old and new avenger movies. The picture in the post is related. Nerd culture went from not being treated seriously to now it is the new sexy. Anything that you all could tell me about that would be great. Thank you in advance. arpRpm7_700b.jpg

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

I would say that is was taken very seriously by a smaller group of people in it's origins, and is taken far less seriously by a much larger group of people in it's present.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Pretty good way of saying it. I think the internet helped out a whole lot. Back before nerds knew how many like-minded people there were, they didn't embrace the culture they way they do now. The same could be said about a thousand other things, niche hobbies and the like, along with various philosophies, humanism and the like.

Also, the nerds from back then might have rose to power and secretly established the coolness of nerdy stuff.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#4 Kragular

Kragular

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

So when other nerds/geeks started to become more connected is when this kind of media was taken more seriously because of the increased number of nerds/geeks gathering together? Sorry if my question sounds confusing.

#5 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Nerds/Geeks generally communicate poorly IRL, due to social anxiety.  On the internet, one can calmly gather your thoughts before responding, thus making it easier to communicate your ideas.  

Anyone who was a social outcast before the internet probably remembers using some kind of lexicographic codec to hand write secret letters to your nerdy friends.  All 2 of them. Of course we were the first ones on the web all day/night when dial up became a normal household concept, so it makes sense that the 'seeded' content of the web came from our perspective.

From there, the web has exploded and all the nerdy ideas with it.  In contrast, some of the stereotypical social alphas (jocks?) feel more comfortable admitting they like the X-men on the internet, than they would in the football locker room.  All of the instant feedback on the internet i believe has pushed the idea to hollywood/mainstream that it's not just nerds that love sci-fi, but if done right has appeal to the masses.

Finally, i think nerds have learned to stand up for themselves better.  Trolls have provided the environment in which you can become accustomed to arguing a point while dealing with the stresses of your emotional responses.  Where as in high school you would just be shoved into a locker for trying to use logic and reason.  Or at work, disregarded or undermined by some program manager.  However bullying will never go away.

#6 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Nerds/Geeks generally communicate poorly IRL, due to social anxiety.  On the internet, one can calmly gather your thoughts before responding, thus making it easier to communicate your ideas.  

Anyone who was a social outcast before the internet probably remembers using some kind of lexicographic codec to hand write secret letters to your nerdy friends.  All 2 of them. Of course we were the first ones on the web all day/night when dial up became a normal household concept, so it makes sense that the 'seeded' content of the web came from our perspective.

From there, the web has exploded and all the nerdy ideas with it.  In contrast, some of the stereotypical social alphas (jocks?) feel more comfortable admitting they like the X-men on the internet, than they would in the football locker room.  All of the instant feedback on the internet i believe has pushed the idea to hollywood/mainstream that it's not just nerds that love sci-fi, but if done right has appeal to the masses.

Finally, i think nerds have learned to stand up for themselves better.  Trolls have provided the environment in which you can become accustomed to arguing a point while dealing with the stresses of your emotional responses.  Where as in high school you would just be shoved into a locker for trying to use logic and reason.  Or at work, disregarded or undermined by some program manager.  However bullying will never go away.

I really have no idea why nerd/geek culture is associated with "social anxiety". Yeah, sure, someone with social anxiety is going to lean towards activities that don't require socialization which would tend be things considered nerd/geeky but I cannot believe that it would account for more than a drop in the bucket of people you would label a nerd/geek.

#7 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

I really have no idea why nerd/geek culture is associated with "social anxiety". Yeah, sure, someone with social anxiety is going to lean towards activities that don't require socialization which would tend be things considered nerd/geeky but I cannot believe that it would account for more than a drop in the bucket of people you would label a nerd/geek.

Agreed.

I fall well within the realm of nerdyness and hardly fit the bill as far as the usual tropes go.

Physically able, normal levels of social anxiety, can talk to girls quite easily, and I haven't met many people that didn't end up becoming a friend due to my charms.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoy sitting in a dark, freezing cold room with six litres of iced tea and enough snacks to last me a week and going on a gaming bender for said week straight without any human interaction aside from maybe busting out my laptop and talking to you fine folk while I eat some of said snacks.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#8 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I agree, i also don't understand why that is.  However, i do notice that most "nerds" i see running around with their laptop and coke bottle glasses are socially challenged.  As well as some of the engineers i work with.  

Basically, it's a stereotype.  Although it's offensive to those encompassed, its true for a reason.

#9 Kragular

Kragular

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

Can any one point me in the direction of current events that would be about this sort of thing. good discussion guys. Thank you

#10 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20325517

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: history, pop culture