43 replies to this topic

#41 AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

Byte

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

My point in bringing this up is one, Holy fucking shit what the hell is wrong with the human species, and two, Why don't we hear about THIS shit? We (Americans, I'm speaking of) study WWII, but does anyone ONCE mention this event? Not commonly.

Also, I feel like I just need to talk about this now.

Why? America is an America-centric country. You're probably not taught much outside of things pertaining to your country. The Sino-Japanese wars were exceptionally brutal and undeniably devastating.

I think our education in general is based on what's interesting for the government's issues. I seriously doubt US citizens learn about how much blood is on Uncle Sam's hands (direct and indirectly), except maybe for the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs.

I wish I'd learnt more about Europe and Asia, but I think I had a pretty rich History education. It was about Greece, Mesopotamia, our Portuguese colonization of course, the Dutch invasion, Africa, the 20th century, Brazilian History in general, lots of wars, US policy, the 1800s and so on... the rest I get from books.

I always wondered what do you guys from other parts of the world learn in History. Also, you shouldn't forget that America is a continent, not a country.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

#42 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Speaking for the UK (I took it to A2 level), in primary school we did Celtic, Romano-British, Saxon and Viking England, it's really just skimming the surface though of course, they also give you an introduction to the Tudors and World Wars I and II.

In secondary school you start with Victorian Britain (industrial revolution and crime and punishment), the Dark Ages and the rise of castle towns. Then you spend pretty much every year from year 9 learning about World War II. Between the ages of 14-16 history becomes the most boring subject imaginable. Because of the personal prestige English people associate with the Second World War they teach it into the ground. It's repetitive and dull.

A level history is more interesting, you learn about Russia from 1885 to 1955, India from 1845 to 1945 (with a little on the East India Company from the 1700s). Some people learn about Ireland but my year didn't, we also did Germany (again) from 1845 to 1945 and American history from 1900-1945.

Most of it is very Euro-centric but at least when they teach about Britain in India and Ireland they teach it how it was, i.e. a largely brutal and oppressive regime that transmogrified two pleasant nations into war-torn and hate-filled countries. The British Empire left a stain on a lot of the world. :/

Our history classes were very bad in terms of how comprehensive they were too; we learnt nothing about the Napoleonic Era, The Roman Empires, Greece, the Ottoman Empire, East Asia or anything to do with South America at all. Most of the history I know is self-taught because of that. 

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#43 AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

Byte

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Well, I guess that just confirms what I said. While you, Gol, learned a bit about the East India Company (and I didn't even knew about it until now), it was taught to me about the WIC, which is the Dutch version of it.

God save the internet ^_^

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

#44 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

All I know about the DEIC is that the EIC swept in when the Dutch lost their prestige as a world power and their empire started falling apart.

I've been reading a little about Simón Bolívar recently, I knew who he was but nothing about what he did. It's a shame that we didn't touch on an entire continent of people in curriculum history. Although I think I did one term in primary school on the Aztecs I was way too young to remember.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: history