• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

I... don't even care. lol

And I don't care that you don't care.

The world is wack.  Wack, man.

I'm just trying to live in it.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#63 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Meh, it's a fun fact. The United States has the highest ratio regarding years in existence/years at war. Since 1776, the US has been at war for 217 years; Specifically, the US has been at peace for a total of 21 years.

Oh wow, I thought France had that title.

Yeah, because we're the most stable country since 1776.  Not really all that surprising.

Or did I miss the last genocide the American government did of its own people?

Oh, wait, that's never happened.*

*Fun fact!

600,000+ Americans mysteriously died between 1861-1865.

Plus, you know.

http://en.wikipedia....ilis_experiment

http://en.wikipedia....anese_Americans

These facts aren't fun however! Did you know that Goldfish were originally silver?

http://goldfish2care...sh-history.html

nmjUGDL.jpg

#64 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Oh wow, I thought France had that title.

600,000+ Americans mysteriously died between 1861-1865.

Plus, you know.

http://en.wikipedia....ilis_experiment

http://en.wikipedia....anese_Americans

These facts aren't fun however! Did you know that Goldfish were originally silver?

http://goldfish2care...sh-history.html

That was a Civil War, not genocide.

And those were terrible.  And, compared to the worst of every other country, against all the good we've done for the world, I think America wins that contest still.

Even if we only get Norman Borlaug we win.

And that's peanuts compared to the deaths laid bare by Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao, and others.  And those were genocides.

(Remember, France got its ass occupied by a foreign army in the middle of a war.)

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#65 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Violence just calls for more violence and hatred and death

Exactly. I shake my head at people who think introducing more violence into a situation will resolve it. People need to realise the source of the problem and deal with that (obviously not applicable in every situation, but in the long-term anything can be done)

I think that along with good education, and being taught respect for others, your own and others belongings, and the environment - Every child/teen should be taught a martial art. That itself would instill discipline among students, which is probably the most important quality people need to master (someones level of discipline affects their whole life, everything from diet and physical health, to achieving goals, and not being a dick and hurting others).

Judo is something I recommend for it's self defense qualities in subduing opponents and preventing being hit. Taekwondo is good if you like kicking. The only two I know, but the rest are probably as effective.

Oh did you know, Australia is a piss-weak nation that sucks up the arse of Mr Obama and the British Queen.

Well, at least that's how the politicians operate.

Oh! We also don't have any nuclear power, and our internet speeds are ranked 44th in the world. 90+% of our  natural resources are exported! Fuckin Straya!

#66 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Exactly. I shake my head at people who think introducing more violence into a situation will resolve it. People need to realise the source of the problem and deal with that (obviously not applicable in every situation, but in the long-term anything can be done)

I think that along with good education, and being taught respect for others, your own and others belongings, and the environment - Every child/teen should be taught a martial art. That itself would instill discipline among students, which is probably the most important quality people need to master (someones level of discipline affects their whole life, everything from diet and physical health, to achieving goals, and not being a dick and hurting others).

Judo is something I recommend for it's self defense qualities in subduing opponents and preventing being hit. Taekwondo is good if you like kicking. The only two I know, but the rest are probably as effective.

Oh did you know, Australia is a piss-weak nation that sucks up the arse of Mr Obama and the British Queen.

Well, at least that's how the politicians operate.

War is the final "BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY" scenario.

You really think militant Islam is gonna slink back under the pond scum it came from if something doesn't force it to?

#67 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

You really think militant Islam is gonna slink back under the pond scum it came from if something doesn't force it to?

I doubt it.

It's not Islams or Muslims as a religious people that're the terrorists, it's the extremists and the groups like ISIS etc that need to be shut down. Those religions are in themselves more peaceful than a globally dominating Christianity (taking history into account).

But anyway, I didn't wanna get into a discussion about politics or war, in a fun fact thread at least.

Opinions are such a  double-edged sword. They can be great and helpful but at the same time there's so many of them that in the end, everyone wants to fucking kill each other because they can't just shut their bloody mouth and chill. (I'm referring to society as a whole, not this thread. I hope that's apparent)

#68 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

I doubt it.

It's not Islams or Muslims as a religious people that're the terrorists, it's the extremists and the groups like ISIS etc that need to be shut down. Those religions are in themselves more peaceful than a globally dominating Christianity (taking history into account).

But anyway, I didn't wanna get into a discussion about politics or war, in a fun fact thread at least.

Opinions are such a  double-edged sword. They can be great and helpful but at the same time there's so many of them that in the end, everyone wants to fucking kill each other because they can't just shut their bloody mouth and chill. (I'm referring to society as a whole, not this thread)

And what will make ISIS fade away?  Hugs and endless negotiations at the UN?  Fuck no.

Shovel Knight, in an attempt to make it as SNES equivalent as possible, has few things a SNES game couldn't.  One of the exceptions?  The beige color of Polar Knight's woolly cape.

#69 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Please keep this to fun facts only, don't turn it into another political debate. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#70 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

#71 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Please keep this to fun facts only, don't turn it into another political debate. 

I really try.  Hard to resist it in such a friendly community sometimes.

Pluto is bigger than Mercury but somehow isn't considered a planet.

#72 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

Fun fact: We nerds can never be tamed.

;)

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#73 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Fun fact: We nerds can never be tamed.

;)

Obviously you've never experienced a taser. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#74 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Obviously you've never experienced a taser. >.>

I have been hit with cattle prods and pig prods, which might be the same thing, but are strong enough to motivate animals at least twice my size.

And I have pissed on an electric fence, which was by war worse.

Lotta voltage, right to the beans.

So I think I might have a fighting chance to remain rambunctious in the face of taser related adversity.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#75 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:24 AM

I really try.  Hard to resist it in such a friendly community sometimes. Pluto is bigger than Mercury but somehow isn't considered a planet. https://www.youtube....h?v=KBS1VsygjZM

Dude, Pluto is half the size of Mercury.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#76 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

How much alcohol was involved in getting you to pee on an electric fence? >.>

After a Hong Kong gangster kidnapped the son of Asia's richest man and extracted a US$130 million ransom, he phoned up the tycoon to ask advice on how to invest the money.

http://www.scmp.com/...oon-li-ka-shing

Also relevant fun facts; Pluto is 7,232km in circumference while Mercury is 15,329. The Earth's moon is 10,917, making it larger that Pluto. Titan, Saturn's largest moon is 16,178km in circumference, making it larger than Mercury. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#77 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ohoh speaking of Titan, the moon's hydrocarbon seas might hold extraterrestrial life. Not a solid fact but stillcool!!!

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#78 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I'm really hoping to see tiny fish swimming in methane during my lifetime. >.>

I know realistically it will probably be single cell organisms or something, but fish would be way cooler. Or like an octopus, they're already pretty alien. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#79 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

Fun fact I just learned, Houston has a huge number of consulates. 

https://goo.gl/maps/jR7nF

nmjUGDL.jpg

#80 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

Dude, Pluto is half the size of Mercury.

What?  Rhett & Link lied to me!  Those bastards!