21 replies to this topic

#1 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I am a rabid follower of current events.  If shit is goin' down, I likely know about it.

This primarily means politics and economics, as they are my forte of sorts.  Especially their general interaction.

To begin the 2016 speculation (because why not?):  Scott Walker/Susana Martinez vs. Hillary Clinton/Cory Booker.

Laying my chips down saying that would be the best match-up possible.  Who would win in such a situation?  Don't really know.  All depends on what happens in the 2014 midterms and the intervening two years after them.

But, brave souls, this is your opportunity to ask anything.  Want to know what's going on?  I can tell you.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

--F. A. Hayek, "The Fatal Conceit"

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Doesn't seem like a particularly contemporary debate. There are much more poignant goings on in Ukraine. ;)

Besides, speculating on an election occurring in 2 years is folly.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Doesn't seem like a particularly contemporary debate. There are much more poignant goings on in Ukraine. ;)

Besides, speculating on an election occurring in 2 years is folly.

Politics in general covers world affairs.  Worldwide oil and gas prices if Russia takes things further and Crimea becomes the new Sudetenland.  Interaction, dove tail, QED.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Recession, Supply and Demand, Oligopoly.

Yay buzzwords! 

#5 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Colbert!

I'm relevant.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#6 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Recession, Supply and Demand, Oligopoly.

Yay buzzwords! 

Recession:  We haven't technically been in one since June 2009 but we are currently in the worst "recovery" period since Post WWII-era America.

Supply and Demand:  Combined with a few other important concepts, like incentives and the price system, these laws govern most voluntary trade.

Oligopoly:  An interesting concept but can only really be enforced via government meddling, either through heavy regulation, taxation, subsidies, tariffs, and/or price ceiling/floors.  See the Agriculture Industry in the United States.

#7 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I know what they are mate, I studied economics for two years. I think you missed the point.

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've never seen a politics topic work out well

never

Seriously. This.

That forum that I was a member of for 10 years and we actually went around the world meeting up and such?

We couldn't handle it.

#9 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

It can depend, same is usually said for religious topics but it was a religion topic on a forum that made me realise God's not real and that it's okay to be bi. Literally would never have come out if not for those debates.

#10 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Oh, wow, Gol.

#11 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yeah. :/

#12 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

That's really rad, though. I mean, hey, TRUTH!

#13 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Honestly I really don't care about politics but I do know that I don't want Scott Walker anywhere near the White House. He has screwed Wisconsin residents royally in many ways and I really don't want to see what he would do with an entire country.

Check out my blog https://mygeekygirllife.wordpress.com/

Check out my photography on instagram @thegeeklifeblog

#14 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Most politicians are dicks, that's pretty much the only opinion I have on it.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#15 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Most? They're all dicks, some are just less so than others.

#16 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Honestly I really don't care about politics but I do know that I don't want Scott Walker anywhere near the White House. He has screwed Wisconsin residents royally in many ways and I really don't want to see what he would do with an entire country.

A billion dollar surplus with massive tax cuts is bad?  He cleaned up the massive mess of his predecessor.  The unions hate him because he said, hey, the state is gonna stop automatically collecting dues from your union members' paychecks.  No more compulsory union representation! And, guess what?  A lot of people left the unions.  Unions are dying a violent death in America.  They have far surpassed their usefulness and reason for being.

The fact that they basically own the Democrat Party doesn't help things (along with trial lawyers and environmentalists.)

#17 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Most? They're all dicks, some are just less so than others.

True.  Of those in Washington, D.C., I trust few.  My congressman, who has been a friend of my family since before I was even born.  Then there's Paul Ryan.  And maybe one or two others.  That's it.

#18 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Lol Paul Ryan.

The man who doesn't want rape victims to abort their babies.

#19 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Lol Paul Ryan.

The man who doesn't want rape victims to abort their babies.

High-minded politics are important here.  That's a talking point spread by the Daily Kos crowd.

And Obama voted against giving life saving care to babies who survived abortions. Not difficult to make politics a tit for tat.

I didn't come here for that.

#20 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

A billion dollar surplus with massive tax cuts is bad?  He cleaned up the massive mess of his predecessor.  The unions hate him because he said, hey, the state is gonna stop automatically collecting dues from your union members' paychecks.  No more compulsory union representation! And, guess what?  A lot of people left the unions.  Unions are dying a violent death in America.  They have far surpassed their usefulness and reason for being.

The fact that they basically own the Democrat Party doesn't help things (along with trial lawyers and environmentalists.)

I'm actually talking about a huge increase in health care costs and then cutting the pay of thousands of workers. Not to mention all the cuts to the education program to the point where schools that need repairs can't afford them. He's screwed over the middle class.

Check out my blog https://mygeekygirllife.wordpress.com/

Check out my photography on instagram @thegeeklifeblog