• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:53 AM

Okay, so I had an interesting, yet somewhat disturbing idea. If a time-traveler travels forwards or backwards in time and gets in a romantic relationship with someone there, does that make the traveler or their partner a pedophile?

Think about a scenario where the traveler goes back in time about 100 years and gets in a relationship with someone in that time period. If they stay together until the day they die, there will be a day where the partner of the traveler could witness his spouse's birth. That is a very uncomfortable scene to me.

Think about the opposite. The traveler goes into the future about 50 years and gets in a relationship in that time period. How would the traveler feel knowing that if they didn't travel forward in time, they could witness the birth of their partner?

You could also take this outside the realm of theory (in some sense). What happens if someone makes a fictional piece of media that takes place about 20 years in the future and they put a fanservice character in it. If we assume that character is in their 20's or so, they are infants to toddlers around today. Does that mean if you are attracted to these characters, you are a pedophile?

I know these are weird questions, but it's just something I've been thinking about. I'm also not a pedophile, so don't be all up in my grill homie.

#2 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

Not really. Since the time traveler will be the age they are when they traveled (say 25 for arguments sake) and the person they begin a relationship 100 years in the future is 26. Sure, when they go back to their own time, that person may not exist, but it isn't paedophilia because you can't fuck something that doesn't exist.

One thing I would question would be causality. If you went back in time and made somebody pregnant, what would happen to the timeline?

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#3 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

Or if you went back in time, made someone pregnant, go forward in time and had a relationship with that child?

#4 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Or if you went back in time, made someone pregnant, go forward in time and had a relationship with that child?

I think screwing your own child is already pretty close to that, but I guess time-traveling would change somethings.

#5 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

How many times do you think Dr Who has found himself in this situation?

#6 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

How many times do you think Dr Who has found himself in this situation?

Officially? Never.

On Fanfiction.net? 99/100 fics

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#7 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

You could have really weird stories, where a guy has a wife, he invents a time machine and gets trapped in the pasts and ends up meeting a woman there and fathering his wife.

It is like the Oedipus of time-travel.

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

All I can think of is Fry from Futurama. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I've actually put more thought into this than I care to admit, and MY problem with time-travel-genetics is that you CANNOT BY LAWS OF NATURE be your own parent. Genetics come to us from each parent, half and half. HOW THE FUCK IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET HALF FROM YOURSELF?!

(This isn't an idle rant; this genuinely bothers me.)

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#10 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

MY problem with time-travel-genetics is that you CANNOT BY LAWS OF NATURE be your own parent. Genetics come to us from each parent, half and half. HOW THE FUCK IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET HALF FROM YOURSELF?!

I've only heard of this sort of thing happening in Futurama (don't watch the show anymore, but still remember that episode). Do other, more serious stories have that plot-point?

#11 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Not plot point as such, but it is mentioned rather a lot in general. I know that Hitchhiker's Guide makes reference.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#12 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Well that is assuming that there is one single timeline and that you are going back to the exact same reality that you came from when you go to the present.

Now if you believe in the multiverse then you could kill your grandfather and just end up in a reality where you never existed.

#13 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

I've actually put more thought into this than I care to admit, and MY problem with time-travel-genetics is that you CANNOT BY LAWS OF NATURE be your own parent. Genetics come to us from each parent, half and half. HOW THE FUCK IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET HALF FROM YOURSELF?!

I don't agree, the recessive and dominate genes necessary to recreate yourself would be present in both you and the person you copulated with to create you.

As for the Pedophilia question -  the biggest problem behind it really, is the preying on the innocent, weak and immature. So if the person is of age, and therefor supposedly understands the emotional and sexual implications of entering into a relationship then... How is there any issue at hand?

Because I can...

#14 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

How is there any issue at hand?

Think about it this way. You date somebody for five years, and one day, they say in passing "Oh yeah, I'm like, getting born today. Ain't dat whacky?" I'm guessing time travel will not exist at the time they would travel back, but you get the idea.

#15 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Think about it this way. You date somebody for five years, and one day, they say in passing "Oh yeah, I'm like, getting born today. Ain't dat whacky?" I'm guessing time travel will not exist at the time they would travel back, but you get the idea.

I'd find the only problem I'd have with that is someone lying to me about something that big for so long. The fact that they'd mention that they're born on that day would raise questions of the disruption of the space-time continuum and causality rather than me considering them a pedo.

Because I can...

#16 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'd find the only problem I'd have with that is someone lying to me about something that big for so long. The fact that they'd mention that they're born on that day would raise questions of the disruption of the space-time continuum and causality rather than me considering them a pedo.

If we're bringing time paradoxes into this, does that mean there would have to be a law where you can't get in a relationship with a time traveler whose born within your lifetime?

#17 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

If we're bringing time paradoxes into this, does that mean there would have to be a law where you can't get in a relationship with a time traveler whose born within you lifetime?

I think that if the universe hasn't destroyed itself by then, you're fairly safe.

Because I can...

#18 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

If we're bringing time paradoxes into this, does that mean there would have to be a law where you can't get in a relationship with a time traveler whose born within your lifetime?

Well in order for people to know it is an issue something has to have happen, so by the time people realize it creates paradoxes there is no universe to make laws in.

#19 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Well in order for people to know it is an issue something has to have happen, so by the time people realize it creates paradoxes there is no universe to make laws in.

But everyone already knows the time travel rule that you can't come in contact with yourself.

#20 bookfloss

bookfloss

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Question: in seven years every cell in your body has been replaced. So, in what way - if I went back 10 years - am I actually meeting myself? I'm not the same person by means of life experience, phiilosophy, maturity, or accomplishments & I'm not the same person at a cellular level.

I mean if there's on one "self", then I could never see myself be born - could I? Would that be two selves in the same room or two occurrences of the same self? (assuming the selves to actually be the same)

Just curious.

"Normal is what everyone else is and you're not."  Malcolm McDowell