8 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

We need ~6TB of storage.  I need it to have fast throughput.(not USB)  I was thinking some kind of NAS device would be best.  Not sure if I want to setup a whole server just for pure storage.  We will be reading and writing a lot of data to this thing.  Any recommendations?  Not sure what my budget is, but keeping it under $1,000 would make things easier on approval.

#2 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

googling your issue would probably have helped better. when i needed a storage machine for multiple users, I took an old windows desktop I had laying around, put linux in it and stuffed it full of hard drives. configured the drives to be shared across the network, and plugged it into the router. 

that was my solution anyways. 

5A5DjRW.gif

#3 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm not sure jamming a bunch of shitty hardware together is the solution i am looking for to support a development team of more than 10 people.  

Additionally I don't want another server to maintain updates just for NAS capability.

I was hoping to get some product reviews/recommendations from someone who has used a NAS device with at least 1Gb/s throughput.

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

What sort of bandwidth are you looking at putting through it? 6TB can easily be had with 2x 3TB drives in a simple two drive case, if you don't need redundancy . 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm looking for something that is going to run with 1Gb/s ethernet. We just picked up one of these, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236122

But it looks like we might not get it back after we deliver to the customer, so i'll have to get another one or price something similar.  Whats the deal with the 800 Mhz processor?  Is that 'fast' for a NAS cpu?  

#6 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

RAID-1 should probably be the minimum.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'm looking for something that is going to run with 1Gb/s ethernet. We just picked up one of these, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236122

But it looks like we might not get it back after we deliver to the customer, so i'll have to get another one or price something similar.  Whats the deal with the 800 Mhz processor?  Is that 'fast' for a NAS cpu?  

That is very fast for one of those.

For redundancy, you might get off cheapest with an Atom setup and 4 3TB drives. Run a simple file server *nix on it and be good to go. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hmm.. I'll need to find a mobo/powersupply/ram/cpu/case combination for that.

#9 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

You can get an atom board for $70, a $20 case, and maybe $40 for a good antec power supply. If you don't have any ram laying around you can get a gig or two for under $20

nmjUGDL.jpg