#1 CyberTetsuo

CyberTetsuo

Byte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUSA,The South

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

hey everyone,

i just purchased a computer from a neighbor and it has Linux as its operating system.....is there any way that i can run a program to make games think i am running windows or any other method of keeping this a linux pc and still playing mainstream games? Also, from experience what can you say of linuxs perks as opposed to other OSs?

"how do you kill that which has no life?"-South Park Make Love not Warcraft episode

#2 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

if you're looking to play games, look into WINE. or you can partition your hdd to have linux and windows.

perks? everything. linux can be customized down to the kernel. of course, this is also its greatest hassle.

#3 CyberTetsuo

CyberTetsuo

Byte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUSA,The South

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

ah i see. atm im using playonline to try and get another version of WINE running so i can play guild wars. its nice to code again as my past psychotic break gave me amnesia toward alot of my teen years the coding included

"how do you kill that which has no life?"-South Park Make Love not Warcraft episode

#4 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Steam for Linux is also available on Ubuntu 13.10

#5 Darth Apple

Darth Apple

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

WINE will run some applications, so it's worth at least trying out. Codeweavers.com also has a product called crossover linux, which allows you to run Windows applications on linux. Unlike WINE, it's a paid product, but from what I hear, it's more stable and will run more applications.

Makestation.net - creativity, unleashed

#6 CyberTetsuo

CyberTetsuo

Byte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUSA,The South

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

after alot of doing i managed to get World of Warcraft to work using PlayOnLinux's WINE application....and man did that take work lol. had to put in terminal codes,rewrite configs,etc.which isnt that bad but....as a (tentatively former) console gamer its hard to have to wait and do work to play a game i just bought lol.

but yes thank you WINE does work especially through PlayOnLinux for those interested.

i think Linux is here to stay

#7 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

after alot of doing i managed to get World of Warcraft to work using PlayOnLinux's WINE application....and man did that take work lol. had to put in terminal codes,rewrite configs,etc.which isnt that bad but....as a (tentatively former) console gamer its hard to have to wait and do work to play a game i just bought lol.

but yes thank you WINE does work especially through PlayOnLinux for those interested.

i think Linux is here to stay

Be careful, Blizzard does occasionally ban WINE users without recompense.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#8 CyberTetsuo

CyberTetsuo

Byte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUSA,The South

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Be careful, Blizzard does occasionally ban WINE users without recompense.

I did the research and have found that there was one time where many users of an old WINE software got banned but Blizzard admitted it was a mistake so they were unbanned and given 20 days free gametime as an apology (im assuming they were banned that long).

In the other case only four users were banned and only one was confirmed to have WINE. There was controversy involved due to those four plus many other users who were banned who had WINE complaining that Blizzard was banning people for using WINE but Blizzard then stated those users were banned for Warden (the security bot i guess) recognizing cheating software being used. They stated that it was incidental that WINE was involved and that although the WINE  software isnt officially supporte it isnt viewed or registered as a forbidden third party software so users of WINE were not being targeted. (but im also guessing besides actual widespread server issues id better hope theres a  user made tutorial released immediately if something comes up-though using both Linux and WINE isnt incredibly simple but also not that much effort)

The discussion that arose after was that WINE used to be more capable of adding cheating software, but i cant confirm the truth of that nor confirm whether,if true, it can still have that function. Im new to the whole PC gaming thing somewhat so im not sure of the finer points, but from what ive researched WINE users are safe from bans. Im posting this to clarify because when i read your post this morning i almost shit a brick lol (already invested time and money into my account) and dont want anyone else to get stressed.

also...im really starting to like this Linux thing, ive done a good deal of customizing so now it fits my personal preference. As far as the internet browser goes i strongly suggest downloading Chromium-the Linux brand of Chrome as its definitely better than firefox (though it also is on windows but just for the record)

#9 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

People still get banned for using WINE in waves every now and then. Though from what I read it's usually people who arena a lot - maybe they are cheating.

Linux is pretty great. I think it has a way to go until it's truly desktop-ready though. I prefer windows at home, but I'd never run a development box on anything but CentOS or Debian.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.