Photo

D.I.Y Satellite, or harvesting the Moon?

satelliterocket orbit solid fuel liquid fuel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOoo

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Honestly I had no idea what forum to post this under, so here goes! :)

As naive as it might sound; as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to design, build, program, and launch a satellite/rocket into space! It's purpose? To say I did it.

Back in 2002 we were learning about the Apollo missions, in kindy or year 1. We learnt how they did it, the technology, and the plans they had for space, and some were definitely far-fetched. But it was more than that, I was incredibly amased about how they did it, and seeing Saturn V soar into the sky at an unimaginable speed, people floating freely, and photos of alien worlds completely tickled my fancy.

So for the past year or 2 I've drawn silly sketches designs and concepts of all sorts of rocket-like contraptions that I would love to have launched, much inspired by Planetes and some other films like Moon, but hello, Tyler, moron, you can't just shoot a rocket up into orbit like that... or can you? :huh:

SO fellow nerds, geeks and D.I.Y enthusiasts my question is how would an average Joe like me or you go about doing it? Launching something you made, into space, or a neighbouring planet, and why?

If you're interested I can explain, or show a diagram of my designs for various rocket concepts, although in saying that please don't troll, or judge! :P

Hope to hear from y'all!

nigel-thornberry-beauty-beast-2.gif

"Smashing!" - Nigel Thornberry

#2 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

Post some of the concept designs, although I do find it far fetched this could be an interesting mental game. Hit me with what you have, propulsion mechanisms, ideas to keep weight down (4 stage rocket?) Guidance and control mechanisms? Aerodynamics/current design, fuel. I am interesting but to play along I will need to know how you are heading this.

#3 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

Whoa, that's really ambitious.

I am part of the aeronautics, rocketry, and space society at my university, which started in early January. We've started with model rockets, with motors from A-D. We are building our own rocket that can fit reloadable G motors right now.

In Canada, the biggest rocket you can launch yourself is with a G motor. After that, you need to get certified to move to just H, and get certified to move on again, and so on. Certification doesn't seem difficult. For first level certification, you must write a written test, and then demonstrate that you can launch and retrieve a rocket safely

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uxgMhHOaUSY This is a 1:10 scale model of the Saturn V. It uses eight N motors and one P motor, which is super powerful. In retrospect, it is pretty heavy, so that's probably why did didn't go so far. 

I don't know much about satellites. A quick google tells me you can make your own for $8000 in the US. 

#4 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ambitious goal, space, DIY?  Love it.  I don't have too much to offer, but to recommend you start small(model rockets and weather balloons) and work your way up.  Also, you might want to get in touch with The Skycube Guys. 

That scale Saturn V launch was awesome, Sushi XD

#5 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOoo

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

You're not going to believe this... we had a massive downpour yesterday, from around 6am to 4pm and then on and off through the night, and guess who left their window which was next to his stack of sketchbooks open....

Most of my best sketches, designs/diagrams (not just for amateur rockets), fan-fictions - basically a LOT of stuff I've deicated time to on paper has effectively been destroyed  :( Sign of the gods? Just kidding, but in all seriousness I've set them up to dry so hopefully they'll revive, but when I get home (I'm writing from class) I should have some simple designs hanging around that I can put pictures of up, although their the ones lacking detail and the "science behind it" stuff (which the others are chock a block full of).

And great clip Sushi  :)  And Ratmastah I have seen SkyCube somewhere before and I just love their ideas, and it gave me some ideas also  :P

nigel-thornberry-beauty-beast-2.gif

"Smashing!" - Nigel Thornberry

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think the only real problem is getting something into orbit. Computers and related tech have become small and easy enough to use where it's no longer the barrier. It's all in the math now. Staged large rocket engines paired with a high altitude balloon would possibly be the simplest solution, though not the most graceful.  Float the rocket as high as possible before igniting it. You're also going to have to have an onboard fuel source for when you run out of o2. NoS + Paraffin wax is the old school way. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Question, if you could develop the technology to fire a legal, unclassed rocket far enough that it made it into orbit (So any rocket below H class) would you need a permit for having a satellite in orbit?

#8 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

It would make sense. I can't find anything about just an orbiting satellite license though, only a broadcasting one.