14 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

its buggy and the matches take forever to get into sometimes but it still kicks fucking ass. 6 into my 1st prestige and i havent left nuketown.

ps3 tag : Dead_Kitteh

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

its buggy and the matches take forever to get into sometimes but it still kicks fucking ass. 6 into my 1st prestige and i havent left nuketown.

ps3 tag : Dead_Kitteh

I am sure the glitchy buggy stuff will get sorted out sooner or later, that is what usually happens.

Guhh, nuketown.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

What are the killstreaks this time around?

[that's literally the only thing keeping me playing CoD]

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Well they're scorestreaks now. Most are similar to previous games (UAV, chopper, care package etc.) but they've also added new ones like swarm drones, hunter killer, guardian etc.

I like it, it's fun. Sniping is awesome.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Eww CoD.

It all went down hill from number four. The only respite is that 10 is supposed to be the finale.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#6 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well they're scorestreaks now. Most are similar to previous games (UAV, chopper, care package etc.) but they've also added new ones like swarm drones, hunter killer, guardian etc.

I like it, it's fun. Sniping is awesome.

Looked em up, i'm glad the K9s are back [so OP], the lack of interesting KSs is gonna turn me away though, they're descriptions all seem to be "exactly like X from the last black ops"

This new point based system actually reminds me of Homefront... god that was a fun game, but you didn't lose your points on death, they were more like "credits"

To me, the only challenge/reward in CoD was killstreaks, and once you learned a map well, those came naturally, so BO2 is just gonna be "Learn new maps, get lame Killstreaks".

#7 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

the scorestreaks are pretty sweet, and they are point based so you dont have to just kill to get them. the best part about black ops 2 imo, is the fact that pussy ass quick-scoping is almost nil. which is funny, b/c now that you have to use sniper rifles as intended, ppl dont want to use them as much.

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I was watching a buddy play it earlier today and I think what I liked most was the option to switch between three round burst fire and single fire action with the push of a button on certain guns.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

The only respite is that 10 is supposed to be the finale.

...Is this true? Black Ops II made over half a billion dollars within 24 hours. At this rate, I don't see why they'd end this Call of Duty thing anytime soon. It's a fuckin' juggernaut.

#10 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

...Is this true? Black Ops II made over half a billion dollars within 24 hours. At this rate, I don't see why they'd end this Call of Duty thing anytime soon. It's a fuckin' juggernaut.

God I hate juggernaut wankers.

#11 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

God I hate juggernaut wankers.

I hate when a game gets "set in it's ways"

2 prime examples

CoD Multiplayer and Assassins Creed

in their defense, they've been trying new things, just not new things that lend themselves to the gameplay

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yes, but their ways are what makes them different.
If you change the dynamics of a game series too drastically the people who liked it before often rebel and shun the game for its betrayal of their terms of what the game should be.
Gamers tend to be a picky bunch.

#13 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes, but their ways are what makes them different.
If you change the dynamics of a game series too drastically the people who liked it before often rebel and shun the game for its betrayal of their terms of what the game should be.
Gamers tend to be a picky bunch.

A perfect example of that; Mario:

Change it too much [Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy] people complain that it's not the same game, no matter how well the game stands by itself.

Don't change it enough [New Super Mario Bros] and people complain that they're being lazy and reusing ideas, no matter how well the game stands by itself.

That's probably what ushered in this new era of sequels being the first game with more content.

#14 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yeah it is sort of a lose lose situation.
People will never be happy, even when handed amazing entertainment.

#15 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

There's just too many two-sided events in gaming right now for it to deliver.

Gamers say "We want new, creative gameplay", but most people, when given $60, will buy the latest title in a franchise.

And I totally understand, you can spend $60 on a game you /might/ like, or spend $60 on an upgraded version of a game you already like. When put like that, the situation seems a no-brainer. Thankfully indie games pop up at reasonable prices, and due to their low cost of production, they can try all kinds of new mechanics and gameplay, which is the big thing stopping huge developers from doing the same. When you're pouring millions of dollars and man hours into a game, you can't just "hope" it will sell well. That's like betting with yourself, against yourself. So they play it safe, develop a sequel to an already popular franchise, and they won't have to fire anyone.

What I feel needs to happen is companies having an "indie branch", a small studio within the company that works with a fraction of the staff of big games. That would give devs a small arm to "test the waters" of new gameplay, while continuing to deliver their million dollar blockbusters, and the indie branch gets the benefit of a solid cash flow, and great resources. If one of the indie projects starts looking promising, they can bump it up to full development, with the whole team behind it.

Or, alternatively, you can go the Valve route, and just buyout promising indie teams and projects [it's how they got TF, CS, Portal, and Garrys mod]