• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

It is always nice to have some discussion on half-baked and semi-fleshy ideas that have been bopping around in your head for a while.

A couple of mine:

MUSIC:
A surging trend in the electro genre is the general assumption that every song contain a buildup and a "drop" of sorts. With that said, I would love to see someone implement panned drums (in a stereo recording system, panning is assigning more/all volume of a sample to one of the output channels) in their buildup kicks. I posit that it would add an extra layer of brainmelt to the buildup, as the drums would seem to kick from side to side with every pulsation.

PUBLICATION:
Humanity's greatest advances have almost always been a result of mimicking its natural world's mechanisms. I want to make a short film, narrated appropriately, that would go moreso as a slideshow than a comprehensive film. (Animation could make this pretty simple, really)
It would start out with the controlling thesis: "In the beginning, Man looked at the Sun...and wondered." It would go on to explain some "inexplicable" properties of the sun (its warmth, its brightness, et cetera), and then mention that the Sun seemed to complicated for Man, so it came to accept it as it was.
The scene would skip to lightning striking a forest, initiating a forest fire. "Man then looked upon the blazes beset on Earth's forests--and wondered." [Skip to man harnessing fire]
Mentioning penicillin, transportation, and other advances, it would finally conclude as follows:
"And in the End, Man looked again upon the Sun...
and this time, Man understood."
Cut to footage of a nuclear warhead's detonation.

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have an enormous document on an entire fantasy world on my laptop. One day I hope to make it into a book, thing is it's a huge project and I'd no doubt need to try something easier first.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Writing a bunch of small things may help hone your skills and techniques as a writer, which would make your piece de resistance a better overall product.
Though if you already have the skills nothing is stopping you from rocking into your big project and getting it done.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Except getting into university, exams, studies, guitar and work. ;D

I won't have time to do any story writing until May 2013.

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just move to some other country and ignore the real world.
Then when you write and publish a book you can come back, probably more wealthy than before.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 Epic?OhYes

Epic?OhYes

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationI should post more.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I had an idea for a car that ran on water, everyone rejected it and told me it wouldn't work.... ;_;

30c3cwj.gif

^ My future Wife

WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.

#7 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ter-fuelled_car

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

I like those ones that run on chip fryer fat.

#9 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Since I could literally drown this page in ideas, I'll keep them short and sweet

Game:
A text/visual RPG, aesthetics like the old-school tile-based RPGs, but multiplayer. In theory any number of players, but for the sake of this explanation, lets just say 6. The main "hook" for this RPG is the mechanic that made all the old tabletop RPGs so great: The human aspect of it. So essentially, we have 5 players playing as their self-created heros, while one player plays as the DM, with direct access to all in-game mechanics, for old tile-based RPGs, this would break down to pre-scripted events, with the ability to use mechanics on the fly [+/- health/stats/gold/items/skills], and the ability to generate text for story/ambience/what have you. Have as much of the DM's side of the game be as modular as possible, so the DM can create as in-depth an experience as they please.

That's just the basic gist, while I'm still thinking on the execution.

Possibly the DM creates dungeons and quests while the players go to town, upgrade, rest, and complete NPC-generated quests. A possibility for an MMO-type game arises, even though it's far outside of my means for creation, where the player can play alone in his SP world, and queue for a dungeon with other players. With the right number of heros they then go and play a DMs dungeon. A problem presents itself as there would be no constant rate of gold/item drops, as masochists would make skimpy dungeons with no loot, and other might make an extremely easy dungeon with a crapton of gold. Two obvious solutions would be to develop a min/max loot system, or have it be like Dungeons and Dragons, where your character only persists while playing with friends. Cons are that I wouldn't be able to make it as expressive as, lets say DnD, but It would allow for an amount of freedom currently not given in RPGs nowadays. Putting the Role-play back in RPG.

Half baked idea ftw

#10 Epic?OhYes

Epic?OhYes

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationI should post more.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

-.- Water cars already exist? Are you kidding me? -.-

30c3cwj.gif

^ My future Wife

WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.

#11 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

People figured out how to combust water forever ago.
I think I saw a video of a high school science teacher doing it in his garage like ten years ago.
The problem with making cars that run on this concept is the the oil companies would be out of business, and they don't want that, so it doesn't happen.

#12 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

People figured out how to combust water forever ago.
I think I saw a video of a high school science teacher doing it in his garage like ten years ago.
The problem with making cars that run on this concept is the the oil companies would be out of business, and they don't want that, so it doesn't happen.

The rich get richer, etc etc

#13 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Finally feeling good enough to read/post more than a line or two, so here goes.

Induction charged wireless mouse - pretty much what it sounds like. Imagine the Power Mats as a mouse pad and the mouse charges just by being on it.

massive MMO game - this has been discussed here before, basically a scale MMO where expansions are new cities instead of new lands because of how big they are. Would have to all be together kinda like Eve to keep population up.

Cheap, modular housing - Also discussed on here, and one of the few things that I really want to see come to light. Modular, self sustaining housing that can easily be transported and set up, used from anything from disaster response to starter housing for poor countries.

I could probably fill the post limit for this thread with my ideas, but we'll leave that as a start.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#14 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Modular housing is a must as far as I am concerned.
The benefits are too numerous to list, but I assure you they are very real, I promise.

An education system that actually makes sense is what the Americas needs most.
Europe pretty much has it right, so I can't take the idea for myself.

Canada and the States have it so that their citizens who pursue a higher education pay insane amounts of money for that education, which rarely pays off in the end because the jobs they get pay the same or less than the job you only need your high school diploma to work. The government doesn't care though because you owe them money for the student loan they gave you.

Most places in Europe, the wealthyish places anyway, go quite the opposite route.
If a citizen chooses to go through school and attend a higher learning facility they are not required to pay large amounts of money for that education.
Most foreign students I have met are having their tuition, rent, books and food covered by their government.
The logic there is that the government is paying for a student to learn skills of knowledge that will in turn benefit the country as a whole when that student applies those skills/knowledge in the work force.
That makes about as much sense as any one thing ever can.

Why the flying fuck doesn't that happen in the Americas?
Instead students are sapped dry by the government to get that education, shrugged off when there are no jobs to be had, then shaken by the ankles when it comes time to pay off those loans you had to take out just so you didn't end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life. Which you then turn around and do so that you can afford to pay off the loans.
The logic center in my brain poops itself when it realized the world it lives in.

#15 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Modular housing is a must as far as I am concerned.
The benefits are too numerous to list, but I assure you they are very real, I promise.

An education system that actually makes sense is what the Americas needs most.
Europe pretty much has it right, so I can't take the idea for myself.

Canada and the States have it so that their citizens who pursue a higher education pay insane amounts of money for that education, which rarely pays off in the end because the jobs they get pay the same or less than the job you only need your high school diploma to work. The government doesn't care though because you owe them money for the student loan they gave you.

Most places in Europe, the wealthyish places anyway, go quite the opposite route.
If a citizen chooses to go through school and attend a higher learning facility they are not required to pay large amounts of money for that education.
Most foreign students I have met are having their tuition, rent, books and food covered by their government.
The logic there is that the government is paying for a student to learn skills of knowledge that will in turn benefit the country as a whole when that student applies those skills/knowledge in the work force.
That makes about as much sense as any one thing ever can.

Why the flying fuck doesn't that happen in the Americas?
Instead students are sapped dry by the government to get that education, shrugged off when there are no jobs to be had, then shaken by the ankles when it comes time to pay off those loans you had to take out just so you didn't end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life. Which you then turn around and do so that you can afford to pay off the loans.
The logic center in my brain poops itself when it realized the world it lives in.

This

it doesn't help that the schools have the monopoly thing going

Sure, Harvard doesnt have to charge $500,000 for tuition

but nothing is stopping them, and all the other Ivy League schools charge just as much

Tell me why that isn't considered a trust...

#16 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I very much plan on it happening, I need the cost of solar panels to come down just a bit, but it's all very close to working.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#17 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

I very much plan on it happening, I need the cost of solar panels to come down just a bit, but it's all very close to working.

Here's our Spleenbegone Mad Villian quote of the day

#18 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hey, cheap housing isn't a villain thing. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#19 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

cheap housing evil?: no.

what you do to the people in said houses: yes.

*rocks back and forth in corner*

#20 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I don't know what you're talking about, they all signed the waiver. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg