27 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

What do you think will be the next game to really push the computer hardware limits?
nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Next Medal of Honor, probs. Frostbite 2 engine. I don't know if anyone played the last one, but it was extremely good looking with whatever engine so I'm excited to see the new one.

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

MoH used two different engines, didn't it? I recall the SP was made by a different team than the MP (which was made by DICE, so it was effectively a BF3 ripoff)

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

The Frostbite 2 engine is going to have some great things built on it. I'm also looking forward to see what gets built around Unreal 4 and Cry3
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

I can't imagine they'd use 2 different engines for graphics; the textures would appear different between multiplayer and single player if that was the case. (which I didn't notice, but I've been proven wrong plenty of times before)
The controls were a little different between the two, though.

The Frostbite 2 engine is going to have some great things built on it. I'm also looking forward to see what gets built around Unreal 4 and Cry3

True that. We'll see what it brings.

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm hoping the new consoles will hep increase the graphics as well. The Samaritan demo and above is what I'd like to see in 2013.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Medal of Honor did use two engines. a modified Unreal 3 for the single player portion and Frostbite for multiplayer.

#8 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'll never understand the appeal of consoles, tbh with you. They're a computer with a lot more limitations and harder to develop for. On initial release you can get a better computer for the cost. But hell, what do I know, lol.

#9 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Medal of Honor did use two engines. a modified Unreal 3 for the single player portion and Frostbite for multiplayer.

Damn, that is fucking retarded. If you're going to spend the time adapting a 3rd party engine why not just adapt your in house engine?

#10 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

hell if i know. i guess EA was so worried about the game not falling on it's ass they wanted a known team to handle MP (D.I.C.E.). the single player was done by Danger Close, a studio you may remember such classics as: ... other medal of honor offshoots?

#11 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'll never understand the appeal of consoles, tbh with you. They're a computer with a lot more limitations and harder to develop for. On initial release you can get a better computer for the cost. But hell, what do I know, lol.

I don't either anymore, though I admit I had a soft spot for my 64 and playstation. I think a big deal for developers is the controlled environment, not having to worry about different hardware, drivers, etc. But it honestly sucks that so much stuff is designed around console power over PC power.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#12 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

hell if i know. i guess EA was so worried about the game not falling on it's ass they wanted a known team to handle MP (D.I.C.E.). the single player was done by Danger Close, a studio you may remember such classics as: ... other medal of honor offshoots?

Fair enough, can't remember the last FPS game that had a good single player.

I don't either anymore, though I admit I had a soft spot for my 64 and playstation. I think a big deal for developers is the controlled environment, not having to worry about different hardware, drivers, etc. But it honestly sucks that so much stuff is designed around console power over PC power.

It's 50/50, you're stuck with a guaranteed size limit you can't exceed - this is your buffer, you cannot exceed it, I don't care how badass that fight sequence would look.

I'm not sure about how much automated testing you can do on consoles, as well. That's the kind of thing they wouldn't want the public to get hands on anyway though, so who knows.

#13 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think a big deal for developers is the controlled environment, not having to worry about different hardware, drivers, etc.

In a nutshell. It's why the consoles just go up a number instead of offering upgrades [san HD size now]

It's great for sony/ms/nintendo because they make profit on the console [except PS3 at release >.>], then get profit and sometimes IP from developers [see: Halo]

That, and they still think people are afraid of PC gaming

#14 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sadly, a lot of people are.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

I prefer console gaming for the plug'n'play aspect of it. I buy a console game, it works. I buy a PC game, I have to deal with the possibility of dicking with settings to get acceptable run speeds, changing graphics etc.

Since I prefer laptops to desktops, it's better for me >_> That said I do play lots of PC games.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#16 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Why don't you like desktops?
nmjUGDL.jpg

#17 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

I can't lounge on my bed with a desktop. Plus since I'm looking after my grandparents a lot it means I can move around and keep doing my work in any room.

Plus my desktop is shit. xD

LL1Yc5i.gif

#18 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ah, that's a good reason. I was going to suggest a mini itx desktop if it was a size thing.

When stuff settles down you should invest in a good desktop, and possibly virtualize it on a cheap laptop so you can still sit on your bed and play awesome games. Don't know what kind of lag that could cause though.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#19 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

My desktop is aboutttt...3 years old now. Passable specs, I just don't like using it all that much lol. Partially because the network card doesn't work so I can't access the net on it. Wifi USB things don't do anything either lol so it's basically a glorified...thing. Can't run an ethernet cable as there's too much distance between it and the router.

Once I get my own place, the first thing I'm going to do probably is set up a tech room. I already basically operate as a technician at home and at work, and I have about 6 computers I could probably fix up if I had time/space/money.

Tech room, weapon room, what else...

LL1Yc5i.gif

#20 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Ah, yeah that sounds like a pile of suck.

I too have a tech and weapon room at the top of my new home list, though I haven't decided the order. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg