21 replies to this topic

#1 Aayla Secura

Aayla Secura

Byte

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFelucia

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

There are not any Covid cases on Felucia, but I have noticed a lot of Earthlings who are using video chat services more often during the difficult times there. I have quite a few penpals on Earth, so I thought about using them myself. Facebook Room, Houseparty, Skype, and Zoom seem to be the most popular. Which ones have you tried so far and what do you recommend?

#2 Grolli

Grolli

Megabyte

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:02 AM

Wife uses Zoom for work.  seems pretty user friendly

#3 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,380 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

I use Google Duo for family and RingCentral at work. I like them both. If RingCentral is free or has a free version, I highly recommend.

I don't have an iphone so I can't use FaceTime.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#4 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

I haven't been using any. I think the only time I've ever been involved in a video conference was about 9 years ago and I was just in the background. Most of my friends are using Zoom and Facebook Messenger. (Is Messenger the same thing as Room?) I'm just ready for everything to go back to normal in all honesty. This bullshit has gone on long enough.

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

I've never used video chat of any kind.

I don't even like talking to people on the phone, or texting all that much either.

Which I'm now realising makes me sound like a crotchety old fuck.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:43 AM

My team has two meetings a week, and I'm the only one who consistently has the camera off. I ain't need to be reminded what my hair looks like or when the last time I showered was, thank you all the same.

#7 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:34 AM

I've never used video chat of any kind.

I don't even like talking to people on the phone, or texting all that much either.

Which I'm now realising makes me sound like a crotchety old fuck.

Same. I think I'm younger than you, but I'm pretty old school. I'm an old man at heart because I grew up around a bunch of older people when I was a kid.

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

There's something to be said for living slower and simpler.

The world moves insanely quickly these days and I don't think we're biologically capable of enduring the stresses that we apply to ourselves living the way we do.

I naturally lean toward simpler things, but I also intentionally try to live logically and sensibly based on what I need to be content.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

As was pointed out on QI ages ago, the telephone is inherently rude. You're demanding someone's immediate attention to talk to you, which is I'm pretty sure why younger generations prefer texting. "I'm leaving you a message, get back when you can" is infinitely preferable to "OI! WANKER! PAY ATTENTION TO ME."

#10 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

I definitely prefer texting over calling.

I've always hated talking on the phone to begin with, and now I've got one within arms reach for the majority of all time.

I fully appreciate the conveniences and usefulness of having a tiny computer in my pocket, but it also feels weirdly invasive because it's a phone.

Something that anyone can call at any time and directly speak to me, or at the very least startle and annoy me.

It's not a societal shift that I enjoy.

#11 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

You do have the autonomy to not answer, though. They can invade your space with a request to pick up their call, but you have the Power to Deny.

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:38 PM

I know I can ignore it, there's just something about it that doesn't sit well with me.

The weird, forced interconnectivity doesn't feel right.

#13 bombeast

bombeast

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

There were only phone calls before the internet and texting was a thing. Before phone calls, the only option you had was a letter. To wait that long for a response would annoy me a lot more than just a few strangers trying to call me.

#14 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:05 AM

There were also telegrams, which were basically proto-instant messaging. 

#15 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

There were also telegrams, which were basically proto-instant messaging. 

And you still had to go to a specific building to get them or have someone deliver it to you.

#16 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

Ah, man. I would hate to have to decipher Morse Code. You get one beep wrong and it's an entirely different message.

#17 Aayla Secura

Aayla Secura

Byte

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFelucia

Posted 02 September 2020 - 02:52 AM

It's a bit different here. We use holograms instead of laptops and we have been doing it for hundreds of years before your galaxy even started telegrams.

#18 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:59 AM

Ah, man. I would hate to have to decipher Morse Code. You get one beep wrong and it's an entirely different message.

I'm sure it was easy enough to understand once you heard it enough.

We're pretty great at pattern recognition as a species.

It's a bit different here. We use holograms instead of laptops and we have been doing it for hundreds of years before your galaxy even started telegrams.

Would have been nice if someone from your neck of the woods helped us out a bit back then....

#19 Aayla Secura

Aayla Secura

Byte

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFelucia

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

I could still send someone to earth. It's just that it would be pointless because you're almost up to having real lightsabers at this point. All you need now are blasters and spaceships. I would say droids, but you're pretty close to having those too.

#20 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

Last time I checked we weren't so far along with our portable crystal laser tech.