Photo

Building an underwater collesseum (Minecraft)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aresem

Aresem

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMichigan, the really white part outside Detroit. You know what, Detroit, let's say Detroit.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hey guys, thought some of you might find this interesting. I've been working on an arena for regulated PvP inside our minecraft server, and things are coming along pretty nicely.

I chose to go with a pretty unique design. I build a creeper statue on a little island I built in the water (since nothing strikes more fear into a minecraft player's heart), made it into an entrance structure and viewpoint, and I'm in the process of building the arena in the water beneath it.

Posted Image

The entrance is located under the creeper's torso, leading straight up into the head. From there, two separate ladders are available, one for competitors and one for observers.

I filled the space in the torso between the ladders with lava and made the shafts with glass for a cool aesthetic effect. Down the warrior's ladder, there are chests for safe storage of any inventory items and a chest filled with non-enchanted arena legal diamond weapons and armor. Then the warriors enter the arena, and the observers enter the deck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My goal is to have two arenas stacked on top of each other. The first will be a melee arena made of bedrock for durability. The second, located beneath, will be a glass arena (observation deck excluded) above a pit of lava, where a game involving bows will be played, the winner of which drops his opponent into the lava by breaking the glass or shooting him dead.

Once the whole thing is done I'll upload a couple pics of the project.
Steam: Captainakuto

360: Captain Akuto

My signature makes all the ladies moist.

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

That sounds pretty cool
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Aresem

Aresem

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMichigan, the really white part outside Detroit. You know what, Detroit, let's say Detroit.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, it's turning out really well. I finished the first arena and spectation area, but then I had a miscalculation involving the volume of a pool of lava and the exploditude of TNT.

The arena itself is fine, since I made it with bedrock, but I got set back in the overall project by a couple hours. Once I'm done fixing the stupid thing I'll probably find a way to make a video of it so I don't have to provide a bunch of different screenshots.

#4 Aresem

Aresem

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Herp derp average results :)

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

You are making me want to get minecraft more. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

You are making me want to get minecraft more. >.>

Thats the plan lol
Posted Image

#7 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Also I always thought it could be cool if there was a way to add rising water into the game... so that in a room you could switch water on and it would fill slowly and if you did not make it to the switch in time you would eventually drown...
Posted Image

#8 Aresem

Aresem

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

That is technically possible. What you'd need to do is build an underwater structure with a ceiling that pulls back with pistons.

Set it as a trap with a switch or pressure pad to activate it. It might even be possible to make the same mechanism seal off the exits.

Then the water from the ocean will just drop right in on them xD