9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkMatter

DarkMatter

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

I am just curious, and I have made my personaly opinion on this topic.
So my question is, from all Sci-fi and Fantasy series,cartoons, movies etc, what do you believe are/is the best Villain(s) of all?

#2 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:10 AM

The best villains are always the ones you sympathize with even just a little.

Or who have a good redemption arc (Vader).

Also, I am way better at naming Disney villains than any other genre... :<_<:

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#3 BloodPrince 2.0

BloodPrince 2.0

Megabyte

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:45 AM

Agreed. I find some of the best villains to be those who are human to at least small extent. That way I can actually feel something about their demise.

That said, my favourite villain is an awful guy with human flaws and I hate him. He’s the regent from the Captive Prince trilogy.

Another of my favourites has to be the Insidious Humdrum from Carry On. I have never seen a villain quite like this, where (spoilers!) the villain is actually a cleverly hidden part of the main character instead of being his own person.

A third example is the human kind mentioned before— Moral from Hamatora. He seems to just be doing evil shit for no reason until you slowly get to know him. Then you find out he’s actually a very kind person, at least he does what in his twisted view is kind. He’s simply insane to the point of believing that the awful things he does are truly the kindest thing in the long run. You get a glimpse into his mind when he’s escaped from one of his crimes and while walking away he sees a kid who is shivering and drapes his coat over their shoulders, walking the rest of the way home in cold weather himself- another form of kindness that he believes is right. By the end of the first season I’m both sad and terribly relieved that he’s gone.

These are the main ones that come to mind at the moment.
“The exchange went unnoticed by the world, just one
other of many exchanges between a multitude of
strangers, acquaintances, friends, or enemies all around.”

#4 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

Another of my favourites has to be the Insidious Humdrum from Carry On. I have never seen a villain quite like this, where (spoilers!) the villain is actually a cleverly hidden part of the main character instead of being his own person.

That sounds coooooooool.

Also, the argument can be made that Voldemort-Harry kind of fall under that. Similar but different.

#5 BloodPrince 2.0

BloodPrince 2.0

Megabyte

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

True. I think the similarity was entirely intentional, Carry On being based heavily off Harry Potter, but gayer and with lots of logical detail changes and cool twists. I highly recommend it. If the Humdrum already sounds cool, wait til you find out more information about it. Want more spoilers on the true villain of Carry On?

Voldemort only worked for me until I got into the later books tbh. I really didn’t buy the whole evil-simply-because-he-can’t-feel-love explanation. That was just weird and illogical in my opinion.

#6 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

True. I think the similarity was entirely intentional, Carry On being based heavily off Harry Potter, but gayer and with lots of logical detail changes and cool twists.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS AND WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF IT???

Also, for villains, Majin Buu was the best one out of DBZ. Absolutely terrifying.

#7 BloodPrince 2.0

BloodPrince 2.0

Megabyte

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

I DUNNO MAN DO YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK?
Kidding, I only know because I hang around the booktube community a lot. But yo, if this sounds interesting to you, definitely go find it because it solves all the issues I had with Harry Potter. I’ll assume you don’t want to hear spoilers at this point lol

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Wait, is Carry On that novel where the Chosen One becomes a barista...?

OMG, YES, I REALLY WANT TO FUCKING READ THIS!!

#9 BloodPrince 2.0

BloodPrince 2.0

Megabyte

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:43 AM

I don’t recall anything about Simon becoming a barista lol but regardless HELL THE FUCK YEAH YOU SHOULD WANT TO READ IT ANYWAY.

I’m currently rereading Harry Potter aloud to my sister, and really badly missing all the logic that exists in Carry On that isn’t in here!

#10 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

I'm excited. As soon as I finish the book I'm on, I'll queue that up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fantasy, Sci-Fi