Photo
- - - - -

Spleen's Atlantic Probe (all topics merged)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

That's still pretty cool in my book haha. We need to create a nerd collective and launch a trans-Atlantic camera-in-a-bottle at some point. >w>

We'll be like an amateur, more successful version of NASA, but for the sea.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#62 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Jaz told me the same thing. I don't have the resources to have an uplink across the atlantic, or supply the power that would need. Best I can do is use a SPOT to make a GPS map of where it's at. 

at least have it take photos every once in a while. And get them off it post voyage

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#63 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well again, pictures would add to cost and power draw, though it would be really cool. If I could guarantee someone on the other side of the pond could pick it up, I might try to figure that out was well.

As it stands, the GPS system I'd use can send location and low battery indicator. I could trick it into thinking low battery to send some other sort of information though. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#64 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

If there's some way you can steer it towards the Thames estuary I could have a whack at finding it haha.

#65 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well, in theory I could steer it anywhere. In practice, it's going to have tiny engines, so I'm not sure how well it will fight the currents to more accurate places. I think I'm going to get a hull and some motors in place and see what happens at the beach. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#66 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I suppose you'll have to study ocean currents a little before you launch then. As far as I remember the Gulf Stream is shifting southwards or something right now, which is why Britain is getting more unpredictable weather as of late.

#67 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, it's going to take some research. >.>

Vessel and basic control is first though.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#68 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

After considering things for awhile, I have some thoughts on the affair.

While I think that the sun dial is a cool idea, I feel like it will add needless complexity to the setup. Plus, you would really need there to be no waves or anything for it to work. I'm sure that you can find a cheap, small gps.

I sort of doubt that you'll be able to send something across the ocean on a single charge. You'll need some way for it to get power.

Immediately, solar comes to mind.

However, I was thinking of good ways to supplement solar power. It seems like there's a hell of a lot of kinetic energy in the ocean, and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. 

See, this thing is likely to be bounced around a lot in the water. Why not try and see if you can find a way to turn that power into electricity? 

You could have a kind of sea-saw (haha) inside of it, with weights on both ends. When the boat bounces in the waves, the sea-saw moves back and forth. Bang. Power. 

Perhaps you could also have it travel during the night, and charge during the day (or, whatever schedule makes sense). This may or may not be necessary, but it's something to consider. 

#69 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Solar is the current plan, a 30w panel. If I can, I'd like to have the thing run for as many hours as possible by keeping energy requirements at less than half of what the panel can produce an hour. Also, there would need to be some sort of measurement to power down the motors when the batteries get to x% in the case of days without enough sun. Two, 6v DC motors will be the propulsion and will make for a simple left/right steering. 

I like the idea of harvesting the kinetic energy though, I imagine something like a shake flashlight would work well.

http://www.walmart.c...shlight/5223244

https://www.kjmagnet...hake-flashlight

nmjUGDL.jpg

#70 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Yeah! Exactly like that. Not sure how much power you'll get from it, though. Likely there will need to be some tests done.

#71 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

That sounds intense Spleen... I have no idea how to pull it off. The Atlantic Ocean's super rough so whatever you build has to be able to withstand that, be waterproof for the voyage, and have enough power to propel itself in the correct direction. 

#72 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I am so fascinated by the idea of this. It will be interesting to see it unfold. Keep us in the loop!

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#73 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

That sounds intense Spleen... I have no idea how to pull it off. The Atlantic Ocean's super rough so whatever you build has to be able to withstand that, be waterproof for the voyage, and have enough power to propel itself in the correct direction. 

The more research I do, the simpler navigation seems to be. There's quite a few GPS and compass options for Arduino it seems, and from the research I've done it's easy to get information from them. I'd just need a set of points for it to aim to. Durability and power seem to be the real issues I'm going to be facing. 

For power, 30w solar cells seem to be about the size I'm looking at. http://www.amazon.co...30w solar panel

The Mega2560 board is what I'm currently looking at using and with a max power draw of 200mA, that's 1.2w at 6v. 

SPOT trace is what I'm looking to use to send the GPS information back my way; http://www.findmespo...d=marqueebanner

I'll have to get specs from the company again, but their older model ran at close to 6w max, back when I first started batting this idea around. 

That doesn't leave me much for motors, less than 3w each is what I'd realistically need to come in at to run them constant. I may be better off just running them for x amount of time though. I don't know that I could reliably move it under those restraints. I'll be doing a bit of testing with Lando's idea though, maybe get a little more energy. 

All of this would be hooked to a few LiPo batteries. Along with directions, I'd need to program it to shut down the motors in case of low power, say a storm or something keeping sunlight from getting to the panel. I'm also thinking a photocell that could shut things down if it's been dark for more than x hours. 

Durability I'm still toying with. I think a trimaran style would probably net the best results. Main components in the center hull and motors in the outriggers. It would need to be made of a corrosion resistant material, plastic, stainless, or aluminum. The biggest thing would be making sure that a big wave couldn't tip it over. 

I am so fascinated by the idea of this. It will be interesting to see it unfold. Keep us in the loop!

I absolutely will. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can get the Arduino I want local, if not I'll be ordering it and some parts and going from there. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#74 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Make sure to keep us updated!

#75 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Alright, so I couldn't source anything but an Uno or an Intel dev board, so I'm ordering one.

I found a motor shield as well, so that will make things a little easier. http://www.amazon.co...FY94C9VNAZBBFJ4

for the motors themselves, the selection is scarce. I think currently this is my best choice. http://www.robotshop...d-dc-motor.html

nmjUGDL.jpg

#76 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

Went to Fry's today, found these. 

jhrk9RI.jpg

nmjUGDL.jpg

#77 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Variables
location_current 	//Current GPS latitude and longitude
location_target 		//Next latitude and longitude target
heading 		//Current vessel heading in degrees, adjusted so that degrees to target is 0 
heading_target 		//Heading needed to reach location_target
daylight 		//On or off, dependent on minimum sunlight needed for solar cell
motor_left 		//Left motor on/off
motor_right 		//Right motor on/off
battery_percent 	//Percentage of battery remaining 

Basic control 
If daylight=yes andif battery_percent >20
Loop {
If heading_target >0<180{
Run right_motor until heading=heading_target
}
Else {
Run left_motor until heading=heading_target
}
Then {
Run right_motor + left_motor until battery_percent <= 20
}
}
Else{
Wait
}

Here's my idea of how I want the heading and heading target to work, so that I have left/right commands to steer 

KMXqsjx.png

So lets find problems an solutions. 

To start with, I think achieving an actual gps point will be hard to do. Is there a way to do fuzzy logic? GPS + say 1km before adjusting to the next point.

I'm also thinking there needs to be more checks for the heading. Every 5% maybe? Also, I feel like once the battery is run down to 20% that there should be a wait time before the loop starts again. 

Also, a bit more exploring on the idea, here.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#78 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

oh my word you're actually doing this. I'm way too stupid to help but I'm also excited.

#79 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Haha, yes I am. Going to go ahead and order the gps tomorrow and I'm still looking for motors. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#80 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

Openly stating that I know jack bollocks, do you have a protocol set up for if a wheel gets stuck?

OH, WAIT, FUCK, is this jet-powered?

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif