Photo

My MMO sampling thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: On the Topic of MMORPGs (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Stylized vs Photorealism

1. Heavily Stylized [Anime] (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Stylized with some Photorealism [WoW] (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Photorealism with some Stylization [Vindictus] (1 votes [25.00%])

4. Photorealism [Battlefield 3] (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What would be a creative level cap?

1. Lv 9 (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Lv 99 (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Lv 999 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Lv 9999 (1 votes [25.00%])

5. No level cap (1 votes [25.00%])

Skill trees, outdated?

1. Yes, would not be great, even if used creatively (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Yes, but used creatively it could have potential (1 votes [25.00%])

3. No, but if used without any deviation from the norm, will fail. (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

4. No, they are still relevant and successful in RPGs (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Seein stuff about stuff

Write in questions:

1. How do you feel about more dependance on Players instead of NPCs?

2. Should level be an indicator of skill, or should skill be an indicator of level?

3. While playing an MMO with a lot of available skills, do you find yourself preferring one skill above others?

4. If you had a weapon that was very powerful, at the cost of losing accumulated XP for using it. How often would you use it?

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'd like to see more dependence on players.
Level and skill never really go together.
I use whatever skills work best together.
I'm not sure. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

If it's post-apocalyptic you're going for, I'd love to see some sort of realism, if you don't drink water, you'll die, for instance. But I'm not sure how well that'd work in an MMO. Perhaps make it rogue-like perma-death. Upon death by PvC or PvP, you start all over again, makes people value their one life more. Perhaps make some sort of repercussion for killing players, like NPC contractors hunting you down or something.

Also, skill trees are vital to MMO's, but they need to be innovative and fluid with the game! =)

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'd like to see more dependence on players.
Level and skill never really go together.
I use whatever skills work best together.
I'm not sure. >.>

Better explanation:

Weapon of your choice, reduces XP while you use it, wont level you down, but can put you at -XP up to -99.9% XP

Basically, a trump card that evilly makes you play the game more, will be scaled to your level to prevent you from just using it to beat higher level areas, although its possible

Oh, and you get to name it

Golg: Not for the post-apoc MMO, for some side project im working on

an unnammed anime MMO >.>

The skill tree is... hard to explain

it basically lets the player pick their own potent combination of ranged or melee attack, with emphasis on defense or offense and dex vs str playing to both sides.

the trees are actually combined >.>

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'd use it after I level capped, or during PVP. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

As a long-term PSO player, I've grown used to dependance on players. However I've also been able to play alone without suffering a huge deficit. Of course playing alone makes it more difficult, but not soul-crushingly impossible like some MMOs make it. Due to a connection that isn't great, it's nice to know I don't always have to rely on others to help me.

2. Should level be an indicator of skill, or should skill be an indicator of level?
I would say that depends. An interesting idea I've had for an MMO level system would be leveling to a certain point, then capping until you can prove your capabilities against certain bosses, survival modes/wave attacks, etc. To prevent people just mindlessly killing level 1 enemies until they reach max level and cause problems for others on their team. So it would be both, to me. Level indicates a certain amount of skill. Say 1-20 = skill level 1, 21-40 = skill level 2 and so on. Effectively tiering players rather than creating a purely statistical metagame.

3. While playing an MMO with a lot of available skills, do you find yourself preferring one skill above others?
Usually, yes. It depends on a few factors. Damage compared to consumption of SP/MP etc, speed of use and cooldown, whether it's AoE or single-target, what weapon it's for, what element it is. Generally element takes precedence. If an enemy is a nature-style, I know fire will do more damage, so even if I have an earth skill that is a higher level, I'll use fire because most of the time it causes the same or better damage for a lower cost.

4. If you had a weapon that was very powerful, at the cost of losing accumulated XP for using it. How often would you use it?
It would mostly be for showing off. Assuming it is quite a high-tier weapon, it would likely only be available to exceptionally good players, as a kind of badge of honour.

I did something similar with PSO, as I was one of the few players to obtain two very rare weapons. Tsumikiri-J Sword and Dark Flow. TJS required 23000 kills with its weaker version without dying yourself, and Dark Flow required an item that had a very low drop chance from the Ultimate Mode final boss.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#7 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Danny: I didnt think about pvp >.>

It would probably become the standard pvp weapon ._.

Xaio: lemme explain my reasons behind the questions

1. im going to try to implement a "Players first" style of skill training. I want the skills to be the bread and butter of your stats and character, and I want you to be able to train with a Teacher [possibly a proffession type deal] player so not only are you leveling it up by using it, the player can actually give you advice "You should throw defence, try more counter, etc]

2. I just wanted to see how much people felt player skill played a role in MMOs. An idea I wanted to try is a "skillless %". EG: If you and the opponent just used your strongest skills, you have % chance of winning [of course it doesnt really matter, as player skill will decide the victor, but if you look and you have a 25% chance against your opponent, you will probably try to find a better chanced player]. This also plays a role in the amount of XP you can get from PVP fights [not too much experience when you had a 90% chance to win in the first place] giving players incentive to find more suitable people to fight.

3. This comes back to the level-able skills, Im going to try to prevent someone from going "I like X skill, X is strong, and if I put all my time and effort into X, i will be unjustly powerful."

4. Kinda transparent, and I'm torn between having it be a lone-n00b friendly weapon, or a later weapon, accompanied by ball-busting areas that require it

my end-game weapons are practically set tho, more or less you hit too high of a level, you get moved to a different area. You can still return to the main area where everyone is, but only by sealing your power in a weapon, giving you the stats of someone who would be in that area. So, people who hit, lets say, level 900 wont be able to just go around beating people up unless they are in the high level area, in which case they will be well matched, but they will have to temporarily revert to the power of someone who is level 850 to return to the main world area. Flip side: Use the weapon sealing your power , you get to be your real level before being sent back to wherever the fuck for a pre-set time. So you are still respected for being level 900, but you can't just openly abuse it. Still figuring out all the details, but I think people will like it >.>

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

It would make a great pvp weapon. <.<
nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

I would love to see more of it. I think it has tremendous potential. Real people are much more compelling than AI. And it solves some problems, too. Suddenly, griefing isn't necessarily metagame anymore. It's guerilla warfare, and it's a perfectly valid part of the game, and a significant challenge. And it's already been proven that players can drive in-game economies, when given half a chance. It's not unreasonable to believe they could drive every aspect of an in-game society.

I don't think level has ever been an indicator of skill, so much as it's an indicator of time invested. That said, I think that time invested should always be rewarded somehow.
On the other hand, I don't like when high leveled characters have free reign to run train on lowbies. I would love to see a game where leveling provides versatility, but a high-leveled character is still fundamentally (if not necessarily in-practice) as easy to kill as a level-1 character.

Always. I love having options. I generally stick to rogue-ish characters, and I love skills that let me use mobility and stealth to control the terms of combat.

Never? Or only in emergencies.
Or, if I was max-leveled, I'd probably use it a bunch and then use that as an excuse to run some end-game content again and level back up.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#10 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

What i've learned

1. moar player everything [I'm working on it, actually]

2. keep level, and skill, in two different categories [easily doable, in fact with a little work on a system I already had planned out, you'll be able to reference player skill just as easily as level]

3. accommodate all the things

4. Maybe...

maybe...

*stares into space*