#1 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:48 AM

Do you think
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarnia Of Time is overrated?

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

N

o

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Depends.

The game was an amazing first step into 3D gaming. PsOne had been doing 3D games for a while, prior, but anyone from the time can tell you the control schemes were usually lackluster. They were always a little too complex, with no natural/fluid way of controlling the camera. As such, most games stuck with a fixed camera [Crash bandicoot] or very open, empty spaces [Spyro]. Puzzles in these games were often simple, if they were even there. The emphasis was still usually on platforming.

Zelda OoT [and Mario64] came out, and suddenly everyone knew how to do 3D, both action and platforming. It really set a standard for its time that alot of games grew from trying to achieve. I feel like OoT, and Mario64 being produced by Nintendo, really helped 3D gaming as a whole, and it's something we can't just take for granted. It took alot of time, effort, and experimentation on Nintendo's part.

OoT took the established Zelda formula, and transitioned it beautifully into 3D. Aside from combat taking a huge back seat to puzzles and questing, the game was pretty much what every zelda fan wanted, and the game looked amazing, deep, and interesting enough to draw in non-fans.

Does this mean the game has aged well? Not really. Like many games of the era, it was the first iteration of a formula that would be refined by the original creators, and pretty much every 3D game afterwards. Nowadays, when you look at it the combat is very simple and gimmicky, the bosses weaknesses are extremely obvious, and the game world feels very, very small.

So, to answer your question: Ocarina of Time hasn't aged very well, and alot of people see the game through rose-colored glasses, but we can't take for granted everything it brought to 3D adventure gaming

#4 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

If the tidal wave of hatred on Arin and Dan's quest is any indication, yes. Yes it is.

It's a great game, but it isn't the Jesus of Zelda games.

...Actually, wait, maybe it is. Fuck, man, I dunno!

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

Probably. I didn't like it when I was a kid, I don't like it now.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#6 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

As such, most games stuck with a fixed camera [Crash bandicoot] or very open, empty spaces [Spyro]. Puzzles in these games were often simple, if they were even there. The emphasis was still usually on platforming. Zelda OoT [and Mario64] came out, and suddenly everyone knew how to do 3D, both action and platforming. It really set a standard for its time that alot of games grew from trying to achieve.

Interesting you mentioned Spyro. I actually think that game was superior. I have heard over the Internet that Ocarnia was the best game of all time. I was only making sure that I was not going crazy by being the only person who thought it wasn't.

#7 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Spyro was the shit.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

It's all about Croc: Legend of the Gobbos your cretins.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#9 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

It's all about Croc: Legend of the Gobbos your cretins.

You are right. I must be a cretin. I have never heard of that one. I might try it out when I get my gaming money back on track