Photo

Magic the Gathering Card game

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

• Members
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationThey're coming to take me away..

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

http://cardamajigs.c...igital-download

Good lord there so cute!

ΝΙΨΟΝ ΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑ ΜΗ ΜΟΝΑΝ ΟΨΙΝ

obazNZl.gif

#42 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

• Members
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

http://imgur.com/a/WUsSn

Just.. awesome.

obazNZl.gif

#43 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

Always loved cards. Many years ago, I did have some Magic cards (hand me downs) from a relative who has been playing since Beta. Lost them during a move and forgot the game until one fateful day whilst in Wal-mart I came across an end cap dedicated to M12. Filled with nostalgia and money in my pocket I bought up a bunch. It was soon after I discovered a co-worker was also sharing in my desire to get back into the game. We started playing after work and I got back in touch with my relative, and as it turns out he stilled played and from there met many new friends. Or as a Magic player would call it, a Meta.

And now I boast a collection of over $5, 000 worth of cards. The thing to know about Magic though, it doesn't have to empty your wallet to be enjoyable. I've often found myself playing pre-constructed decks with randoms, and having just as much fun as if I were playing a $1, 000 deck. It really is a game about who you're playing with and not what. Not only that, the many different ways to play Magic as well. I, myself, favor EDH (Commander) and Cube drafts. If you play Magic, then I tip my hat to you, good sir. If you don't play Magic and want to, then go out and buy a $13 intro deck and learn one of the best games on Earth!

#44 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

• Members
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3sjMQaA.jpg

Hnngg it's awesome.

obazNZl.gif

#45 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:28 AM

http://i.imgur.com/3sjMQaA.jpg

Hnngg it's awesome.

I like the Van Gogh version of this card. I've seen some really creative ones. I favorite the spill & shadow type of proxies. I don't own many myself, they are less value than the actual card so not many people trade them away. Make them for fun. Here's one I picked up a few months ago - not the best one I've seen but needed to make ends meet on a trade.

2wnwaqu.jpg

#46 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

• Members
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

I would love to be creative enough and good enough at drawing to make these kinds of cards. Cool trade, I like it

obazNZl.gif

#47 MCLemuelG

MCLemuelG

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

I love Magic, it's the height of nerd culture.

#48 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

I love Magic, it's the height of nerd culture.

It really is amazing. Can be spendy but worth it if you're with the right group of nerds. Of course that makes the difference for any game. You play with poisonous people it will ruin your experience anywhere.

What formats do you play?

Anybody hitting big in the Eldrazi block? 2 of 2 released today. I bought my usual fatpack and a booster box. Terrible luck. Well, not a complete loss. I scored 3 basic foils, a Kozi and Chandra. Other odd stuff. No big value. I love foils and I love full art, but...I have very mixed feelings about this block in general.

Those Expeditions sure are beautiful -- even if they are ridiculous. Drop and price wise.

ancienttomb.jpgwoodedbastion.jpgverdantcatacombs.jpg

drool

#49 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

It saddens me there are no other MTG players on the forum. Not that I don't talk about it enough with my IRL peeps, but still.

Just can't get enough.

The stories that Wizards have put up have been really exciting! Learning about Nahiri and Arlinn was an awesome read.

I just want to point out too that the new trailer for the set Eldritch Moon is by far the best one to date. Liliana, pictured as a hero? As brutal as ever. Love the narration in it.

I love it so much. It makes me giddy like a girl. I've watched it 2316457263 times already. It gives me comfort, solace in these dreadfully hot summer days.

#50 JCide

JCide

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

I play, I have for yeeeeears and I mean YEARS. It has been my go to nerd fix for as long as I can remember... well, that and Ultima Online but that's just because I'm old  :mellow:

But, speaking of good magic reading I used to buy the Fat Packs just to get my hands on the books... and the d20 of course. I have become eternally saddened since the day they took the books out of them.

Check out my newly opened Nerd based store.

http://www.zazzle.co...333304323999605

#51 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Fatpacks are going up to 10 packs now. I did not play during the time of the books, sadly. The fatpacks just come with the art image from the outer sleeve which is still cool and the themed D20. I got a few expansions hanging around my house. Dozens of D20's.

Those books were worth money, IDK how they fare these days. I know even the card image gallery booklet that came with fat packs would reach $3-5 alone. People wanted them to binder up their set collections.

I don't get to play anymore, really. Two of my closest buddies have travel jobs and they are home maybe 2 months/year. Other one has family obligations and really only wants to get together when we're all around. Another is in jail for 10 more years. Another got married and moved. Another is about to get married. It's hard to get everyone together these days to play. Of course I still throw money at it like crazy, it's a growing collection and greatest game in the WORLD.

#52 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have an awesome (very much an opinion) black Lilliana deck. Red is also a viable choice as I am a terrible tactician. They have battle decks that are really fun for short games now.

#53 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

Liliana is pure sex. It's much better than standard.

I'm assuming you play Modern? Or Legacy? Liliana discard/hand control?

Red Deck Wins? Turn and burn style?

There was one format that was gaining popularity but for the life of me can't remember, but it was fast games. Tiny Leaders is also quick, but very dumb and easy.

#54 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:38 AM

Bleed to death deck with plague rats and the such. Fire is just burn everything. I just throw stuff down and kill. This is what I do.

or try to....

#55 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

The only thing I try to do is contain myself. This game is expensive, but I love the art and the various formats are so fun. I have to stop myself from spending too much.

HEH. Rats. When I was part of a year long league the card Pack Rat was pulled (we did boosters from a different set each month) and it's amazingly good in limited/draft format. My buddy got second place and that one card got him there. Somehow that fucker had it within 3 draws almost every game.

Target, kill Pack Rat

- in response I make another Pack Rat

- end of your turn I make another Pack Rat

- end of your turn I make another Pack Rat. You scoop?

GG.

How long have you been playing?

#56 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have an awesome (very much an opinion) black Lilliana deck. Red is also a viable choice as I am a terrible tactician. They have battle decks that are really fun for short games now.

I'm also a terrible tactician. When I played I had a beastly red/green and red/white deck that either killed everyone by like turn 4 or I got my ass kicked. There were no long games. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#57 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'm also a terrible tactician. When I played I had a beastly red/green and red/white deck that either killed everyone by like turn 4 or I got my ass kicked. There were no long games. 

When that happens you make them work for that asskicking. Don't just give it to them :P

#58 m1splacedSan1ty

m1splacedSan1ty

Byte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

The only thing I try to do is contain myself. This game is expensive, but I love the art and the various formats are so fun. I have to stop myself from spending too much.

HEH. Rats. When I was part of a year long league the card Pack Rat was pulled (we did boosters from a different set each month) and it's amazingly good in limited/draft format. My buddy got second place and that one card got him there. Somehow that fucker had it within 3 draws almost every game.

Target, kill Pack Rat
- in response I make another Pack Rat
- end of your turn I make another Pack Rat
- end of your turn I make another Pack Rat. You scoop?

GG.

How long have you been playing?

I've been playing off and on for 7ish years. I get to the point where I spend half my pay on cards and back off. My husband creams me most of the time with his sneaky blue fodder.

#59 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

@Spleen, man I hope you had Kird Apes in that R/G deck! That's my nickname in my meta. I was teasing my younger sister on Facebook one day, and she called me something un-cool and I replied with "I'm cooler than a Kird Ape" (knowing she has no knowledge of the game) and my cousin who got me into Magic saw it and made a thing out of it.

@MS, dayuuum, playa. I was familiar with the game since I was like 10 but as I mentioned earlier in the thread I didn't officially get into it since M12. Really wish I had sooner. So, me, 5 years? Sounds about right.

I have my fond memories. My first foil was an M12 Giant Spider and I remember being excited. Like, "FUCK YEAH FOIL SPIDER!"

My first Mythic was Angelic Destiny, also from M12. Love the concept art and it's one of my favorites. Play it where I can.

I play EDH/Commander, that's my poison. I pimp out my decks if prices are not absolutely ridiculous.

#60 3raser

3raser

Byte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

I love playing cards and love the idea of this game, but none of my friends have ever been interested in playing Magic, so I still have yet to figure out exactly how the game works.