#1 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationThere, Inside your mind...

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

So, I should explain what this is.

Peeple is an app/cyberbullying tool that is supposed to be launching in November. Imagine yelp, but for people. 

You can rate and review various people that you know, or on the flip side, people you know can rate and review you.

Oh, and BTW, you can't opt out of this. Once someone puts your name into the Peeple system, it STAYS in the Peeple system, and you can't delete bad reviews of yourself.

Can you imagine the amounts of harassment and bullying that would happen as a result of this app? How many false or untrue things could be said about someone? And much like a resturant or car, people could very well judge you by the ratings that were given to you. This thing has the potential to ruin people's lives!

Anyone else hear about this abomination? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

2pphi03.gif

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Language warning.

I just saw this and was reminded of this. Absolutely insane and disgusting. 

#3 Benihime

Benihime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDee. Eff. Dub.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

Also goes along with the whole commandment on bearing false witness.

But it seems to be the one thing we humans are the best at.
image-54.jpg

#4 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationThere, Inside your mind...

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

Yeah. I just wonder what the intent behind this could be. At best it's hopelessly idealistic and actively malicious at worst

2pphi03.gif

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

So is it possible to get other information on people on it? Address, phone number, pictures, etc? If not, then who gives a fuck? If the info is only available to those who install the app, who gives a fuck? Sure, it'll be used for malicious things, but they're all things that are much easier to accomplish on [insert social networking site here]. Let the losers have their fun and it'll turn into a barren wasteland soon enough.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#6 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:54 AM

It reminds me of that one episode of Always Sunny where they rate people using an app. Good times. Dennis goes nuts trying to get a good rating. 

#7 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:48 AM

http://www.wired.com...peeple-the-app/

Also this article is interesting. Apparently Peeple was a thing before the app, and it was a pretty useful thing, basically a peephole for your door that you can see using your phone. Now his branding has completely backfired, I feel so bad for the team that created it, haha. 

So is it possible to get other information on people on it? Address, phone number, pictures, etc? If not, then who gives a fuck? If the info is only available to those who install the app, who gives a fuck? Sure, it'll be used for malicious things, but they're all things that are much easier to accomplish on [insert social networking site here]. Let the losers have their fun and it'll turn into a barren wasteland soon enough.

At the very least, on most social networking sites you can control your image. You won't have any control on Peeple, they can write whatever they want. Friends/Significant others you have a fall out with could get revenge on you, you could be accused of things that never actually happened (rape, theft, harrassment). Just think of the harassment that goes on on twitter when a celebrity does something that the internet deems "wrong", like Joss Whedon earlier this year. It'll be the same thing but you won't be able to defend yourself and damage control is much more difficult.

In a world where most employers google your name to find your social networks before they consider an interview, imagine the consequences it could have to have horrible reviews, lies, and slander from this website/app show up first.