• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

It hasn't happened in 33 years, and won't for another 18 years: Sunday evening, a total lunar eclipse will coincide with a "Supermoon."

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the full moon and the sun. The Earth's shadow covers the moon, which often has a red color, hence the "blood" moon nickname.

Although it's completely in the shadow of Earth, a bit of reddish sunlight still reaches the moon.

"That red light shining onto the moon is sunlight that has skimmed and bent through Earth's atmosphere: that is, from all the sunrises and sunsets that ring the world at any given moment," according to Alan MacRobert of Sky and Telescope magazine.

The total eclipse will start at 10:11 p.m. EDT (7:11 p.m. PDT) Sunday evening and will last one hour and 12 minutes. It will be visible across North and South America, Europe, Africa, and parts of West Asia and the eastern Pacific, NASA said.

Weather permitting, folks in the eastern half of North America can watch every stage of the eclipse, from beginning to end of the partial phases, with the moon mostly high in the sky, Sky and Telescope reports.

What a time to be alive.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

Hope it doesn't rain here. I'm pretty sure I can summon a demon or something when this happens.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

tumblr_nvbgzsXNV71qc2ixao1_500.jpg

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”