40 replies to this topic

#21 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

True that, I was thinking something similar on the way home from a cafe today, the deterioration of the English language is so noticeably substantial it's disastrous to me. I can't confess to understand or know how the Victorian English spoke commonly, but if anything can be gleaned from Victorian novels, such as A Picture of Dorian Grey, we've lost a lot of impetus in the evolution of our language. It's a crime, how the degradation of time has worn away how we speak, from the eloquence of the 1800s-1900s, to 2012. I can't even say I rise above it, when I'm in familiar company I bastardise my lexis and my accent into something all together shameful! XD

Does that make any sense? Probably not.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#22 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

:lol:
No, it does. I don't think it's a shame though, I find it very interesting how different areas bastardize it in different ways.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#23 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's not I don't find it interesting, I just think that we've been granted an enormous vocabulary, far larger than any other language in the world, and we don't harness its full potential, even in modern novels, let alone everyday discourse.

#24 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, I agree with that, most people have a very small vocabulary compared to what's available to them.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#25 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Directly proportionate to how much you read. Those who read less, obviously appreciate less, the English/ American-English language as a whole.

#26 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

No necessarily I think. I normally use simpler sentences both because I can't say some words properly due to my accent, and the people around me don't know what I'm talking about.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#27 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Mhmm, but you still know the words you want to say but can't, for whatever restraint, I imagine you have a comprehensive understanding and thus, an appreciation of English? And I imagine you read somewhat regularly, time permitting?

#28 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yes, I read a lot of technical articles and such. I spend a ton of time on sites like wikipedia and the Today I learned section of reddit.

As far as my reading comprehension, I scored college level in 4th grade. Not sure how much that means with our school system, but still. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#29 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well there you go then, it means nothing to you of course, but I would certainly define you as a learned person with an appreciation of English. Without sounding too condescending. XD

I forgot what my point was though...

I guess you just get a free compliment!

#30 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Head size +1
nmjUGDL.jpg

#31 evilevilmonkey

evilevilmonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Huh, interesting conversation. I can't say I expected to come across a conversation about the modern bastardisation of the english language when I came into diversity forum. I was just coming here to say I'm an odd mix of races. Whilst I was born in Australia I have no australian blood. I'm a first generation australian my mother is South African & my father Is Scottish. But I find the topic of the bastardisation of the english language so compelling I feel the need to join in on this conversation. Which is incredibly ironic in itself as I live in Australia probably one of the worst countries for bastardising the english language & I myself must have one of the strangest accents imaginable being a mix of south african, scottish & australian. But I think it is a terrible shame that having extensive vocabulary is also frowned upon these days. I grew up as an only child & my parents never spoke down to me, they spoke to me no differently than they would of spoken to an adult. Also my father who has always been very academic decided to teach me how to read before I started school. So I suppose that when I started school I had a rather extensive vocabulary for a 4 year old. Unfortunately of course the other children weren't impressed by an extensive vocabulary, they thought I was weird. Of course after a while I learnt that I had speak differently to the other children than how I spoke at home. I then made a few friends that I remained friends with throughout the rest of school. However I think it is a shame that more people don't teach their children, how my parents taught me. I think it would be wonderful to see more people use the english language to its full potential.

#32 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

That sounds like an awesome mix. :P

I agree, if more parents taught their children at least the basics before school, it would be much better.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#33 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Simply must find a Daily Mail article on the dissent of society and the degradation of moral values in context to English language and literature.

#34 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

PUERTORICAN HERE!! Yooo! XD

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#35 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Nice to see. Hopefully we keep spreading out. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

#36 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

We should get an IP map so we can see where people are logging into the website from across the world. =D

#37 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Nice idea o-o Also, there are a lot of geeks and nerds at my University. Its cuss its an art/video game/animation Uni. Its caled Atlantic University College :3
http://www.atlanticu.edu/index.php BEST university in PR. After I'm done with my bachelor's degree, I'm hopefully going to Full Sail in Orlando ~ But, were not talking about college xD

Zi9JkgO.gif

#38 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

We should get an IP map so we can see where people are logging into the website from across the world. =D

I had one for a site a long time ago, I'll see if I can find out what a good one is now. Analytics gives me a map, but it's nothing that can be publicly shown.

Nice idea o-o Also, there are a lot of geeks and nerds at my University. Its cuss its an art/video game/animation Uni. Its caled Atlantic University College :3
http://www.atlanticu.edu/index.php BEST university in PR. After I'm done with my bachelor's degree, I'm hopefully going to Full Sail in Orlando ~ But, were not talking about college xD

That's pretty awesome. :)
You should let some of your nerdier friends know about the place. :P
nmjUGDL.jpg

#39 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yeah tomorrow I'm gonna ask around, see thing is that most of my friends are asses xD They'd wreck this place up!

Zi9JkgO.gif

#40 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks. :)

Yeah, asses will get banned. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg