3 replies to this topic

#1 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

Hey guys, I need help with choosing an educational program (More that I need some perspective so I can help make a decision).

So, I have applied to the Early College at Guilford and the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, and gotten into both. They're both excellent schools and I can't find a clear winner (Newsweek's 2013 study of the best 2000 schools in America gave ECG 21st place and NCSSM 23rd place, so close that they're basically equal). My family all says ECG and my friends all say NCSSM. I'm really torn and would like input to help me make a decision. I'm slightly leaning towards ECG but not by any significant amount.

This is going to be a relatively long post, so I'll condense the material for each school in a spoiler bracket.

Early College at Guilford:

Spoiler

TL;DR? ECG is college without the residential aspect. 

North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics

Spoiler

TL;DR? NCSSM is a scientifically oriented boarding school.

Any and all input is appreciated, especially from those already familiar with any/all of the programs.

fl9Uov4.gif

#2 AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

AliceInTheHoleWithRabbits

Byte

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

I think you should go for NCSSM. That was my decision about the college I want, which is in another state. 

Getting into a new place, without your parents and people you already know, kind of forces you to create a sense of responsibility and independence. Also, since your focus is science, maybe it'd be a good choice.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

#3 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm not certain though. I find their class selection process to be rather asinine: you're given a time slot on a certain day to select classes, first come first serve. Time slot distribution is random. If you're not one of the first few time slots, it's almost impossible to get required classes in since everything is filled up.

This is pretty normal, actually. My very first term in college, I ended up signing up for classes three days before the term started, so I ended up having to take a freshman math class that I could easily exempt just to have a full load. Next term, I got with my adviser as soon as I could and picked choice time slots for the classes I wanted. If you can't control any of it at first, you might be able to do so earlier afterwards.

Also, try to take basic classes first, ie standard English, math. I started out in architecture, only to find that I couldn't stand it. Of the 40 credit hours I accumulated, maybe twenty would transfer to a new major. You might decide you want to do something completely different later on. The only classes I ever went to were creative writing and English and skipped math on a daily basis.

Also, also, don't skip class just because you can. Even if the teacher says, "Just show up on Friday for tests," commit to classes as much as you can. And keep your mind off of girls. Cuz one day you skip math and Mr. Dekkard walks through the lobby and sees you on the sofa next to a friendly red head and then he's all, "Mr. Stone, why weren't you in my class. Enough people didn't show and I called it off. Tiffany will get ten extra points on the next test because she showed up." And Tiff could have hurried out of class to warn me, because she left us in the cafeteria and knew I was gonna skip.

What was my point? Stay focused, work on core classes before your specialties, and don't let girls drag you down.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#4 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:11 AM

Two factors ultimately contributed towards my final decision.

Being as far away from home as possible as well as being close enough to visit from time to time (if that makes sense)

And how much I enjoyed the city. I really didn't factor in the institute, I only cared whether there was enough to do in the city and how well the people treated me. If your surroundings are good then you should gel in pretty well. 

But it really doesn't matter because I have attended various Universities/institutes of technologies throughout the years. You probably will outgrown your school at some point and move on :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???