6 replies to this topic

#1 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

http://fossbytes.com...began-on-earth/

This interested me on my morning science/tech news read, thought to share it here since we're all inquisitive on the topic. There isn't a lot of info on the page, but it's a good quick read.

... they produced in their paper that life has evolved from hydrogen sulphide, hydrogen cyanide and UV light, and those building blocks could have existed at the same time. Using just these three components, they have managed to produce more than 50 nucleic acids – the precursors to DNA and RNA molecules.

Recent debate among scientists has resulted in a schism of three opinions: RNA world advocates, metabolism-first supporters and those who believed that cell membranes were developed first.

The scientists have found a way to claim all the three opinions both right and wrong...

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Man that's so damn cool, I remember at school we were taught a lightning bolt struck a warm pool of proto-nucleic acids and amino acids and suddenly life. UV light makes more sense imo. >.>

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

I don't trust it.
The source links to a "Page not found"

Biologists have known that these building blocks have existed for quite a while. The conundrum is how organic macromolecules formed into organelles and eventually cells, because beyond that we know about.

UV light doesn't necessarily make sense. The Miller experiments prove that you can create organic molecules from inorganic molecules with an electric current; it is provable, it is testable. This article lacks so much data I can't really take it as real information.

Because I can...

#4 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:51 AM

I'm confused by the fact that they created 50 nucleic acids. I thought there are only 5: Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, Cytosine and Uracil.

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#5 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

Obvs it was God guyz

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#6 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:30 AM

I don't trust it.
The source links to a "Page not found"

Biologists have known that these building blocks have existed for quite a while. The conundrum is how organic macromolecules formed into organelles and eventually cells, because beyond that we know about.

UV light doesn't necessarily make sense. The Miller experiments prove that you can create organic molecules from inorganic molecules with an electric current; it is provable, it is testable. This article lacks so much data I can't really take it as real information.

I'm going to have to agree with you here, the title was very much clickbait, the article itself really didn't have very much information, and as fae has pointed out there are some errors. They really didn't say much of anything that we didn't already know.

I'm confused by the fact that they created 50 nucleic acids. I thought there are only 5: Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, Cytosine and Uracil.

Might be just a mis-type that slipped by the editor, still not a good sign to see in the article though.

Obvs it was God guyz

BY THE NINE, A HERETIC IS AMONG US

5A5DjRW.gif

#7 Helen

Helen

Byte

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIzhevsk

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

Did not hear such

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemists, science, life, began, Earth, evolution