• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shero77

Shero77

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

I am a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh!, I really like playing it, but recently it's unbalanced and I can't enjoy it anymore so I decided to make my own TCG. I don't want to copy anyones game so if I am I apologize. I'm having a hard time with rules because I want it to be balanced. I'll give you rules for now. So every player will start with 500 LP. When you reduce your opponents LP to 0 you win the game. Board for playing is divided into 3 rows. First one is for attacking monster, second is for defending monster and last one is for spells. Monsters have Power and LP (example 20/5). When two monster are fighting difference between there power is reduced from mosters LP. When monster is destroyed its player loses LP equal to monsters power, but only in attack mode. When monster is in defense mode player is safe. Destroyed monster goes to the graveyard. Player also uses mana (or something like that) to summon monters. LV1 monsters do not require any mana but when they are sacrificed they give player 1 mana. LV2 monster require 1 mana and when they are sacrificed they give 2 mana, etc. At the start of the match player starts with 0 mana. Monsters are divided into 6 elements: Water, Fire, Land, Wind, Light and Dark. Monsters are also divided into types (example: Dragon, Insect, Fish etc.). Players will start out with 5 cards in their hands. Players can only summon 1 monster per turn. For now these are all of the rules. If you have any suggestions for the rules or you think I should change some let me know. And if you really want to you could send me some art for the cards. Thank you :) 

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:09 AM

Sounds like Yugi-hearthstone

#3 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

This is definitely going to be the next MTG. I can feel it.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#4 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

I still play MTG ^^

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

And if you really want to you could send me some art for the cards.

In other words, you want someone else to do the hard work while you sit on your ass thinking you have a good idea. All you've done is ripped mechanics from various existing TCGs. Your card typings are just Yu-Gi-Oh, your battle system is Magic: The Gathering, and your summoning system is just some bastardized version of Cardfight!! Vanguard's system.

You don't want to copy anyone else's TCG? Everything you have so far copies other TCGs.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#6 Shero77

Shero77

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

I'm desinging my own cards and yes typings are Yu-Gi-Oh! but I have never heard of those other TCGs so I don't know if I copied. Guess I have to do it from scratch again

#7 Shero77

Shero77

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

And I meant buy some card art, guess I forgot to write that and also I don't want to sell it I'm just making it to play with my friends I don't want to sell cards, that is why I'm asking for suggestions for some rules and if should change something, I just want it to be interesting and I copied Yu-Gi-Oh! because it was inspiration for me to start this, I never played any other TCG.

#8 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Well, first, if you're going to design a game, you might wanna try some more games of the genre. TCG's are a rare breed, and even the smallest rules have huge implications on the gameplay and style of your game. And since the cards are printed and made, you can't retroactively change cards or rules [at least in most cases]

Like Alraune said, your card game has mechanics very similar to preexisting card games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with card games it incites the spirit of the original game more than anything. so chances are people are going to play and feel "This is alot like Yugioh, lets play that instead".

Before you design the most critical part of your game, the rules and mechanics, do some studying on trading card games, namely magic: the gathering. Before blizzard developed Hearthstone, they collaborated with a bunch of professional MTG players to make sure the game ended up being something fun, accessible, but with a high skill cap. The reason they focused on MTG instead of the hundreds of other TCGs is because magic is decades old and still popular, it's withstood the test of time and it's not a fluke. And that's what you should do, look at what works/doesn't work from existing card games, and build something using that.

Also honestly, card art would be the last thing to worry about. It has no impact on the mechanics of the game [at least for every pre-existing TCG, you could do something with it I guess] and in the long run it'll the the thing that "expires" fastest. So start with the cards and mechanics, and when everything is pretty much finished up throw some art on it.

Just my two cents.

#9 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

Well, first, if you're going to design a game, you might wanna try some more games of the genre. TCG's are a rare breed, and even the smallest rules have huge implications on the gameplay and style of your game. And since the cards are printed and made, you can't retroactively change cards or rules [at least in most cases]

Like Alraune said, your card game has mechanics very similar to preexisting card games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with card games it incites the spirit of the original game more than anything. so chances are people are going to play and feel "This is alot like Yugioh, lets play that instead".

Before you design the most critical part of your game, the rules and mechanics, do some studying on trading card games, namely magic: the gathering. Before blizzard developed Hearthstone, they collaborated with a bunch of professional MTG players to make sure the game ended up being something fun, accessible, but with a high skill cap. And that's what you should do, look at what works/doesn't work from existing card games, and build something using that.

Also honestly, card art would be the last thing to worry about. It has no impact on the mechanics of the game [at least for every pre-existing TCG, you could do something with it I guess] and in the long run it'll the the thing that "expires" fastest. So start with the cards and mechanics, and when everything is pretty much finished up throw some art on it.

Just my two cents.

This is the most serious I've seen Wolf in a hella-fortnight.

Also, I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh, and this seems like it's Yu-Gi-Oh.

Here's the game you should make. Call it Street Fight. Three card types: Equipment, Techniques, Items. Equipment is like weapons and armor. You play those to do more damage when you use techniques or reduce health lost when your opponent uses techniques. Techs are attacks, or magic or whatever the fuck you want. They do damage and are modified by techniques and items. Have some techniques require equipment or items. The card Stab can't be used without an equipment with the point or edge type. Throw requires you to sacrifice an item with a Damage or Weight stat.

Items can be anything. Potions to restore health, increase damage, food to buff your stats. Give somethings types that can be used with techniques. Cookies restore health and have a Delicious type. A potato restores a little health and has a Weight Damage of one, which can be used with Throw to do damage instead of heal.

Each player can play one of each card each turn, but no Tech card on each's first turn unless it's a Quick type Technique. 20 health to start. Food can't take you over 20. Potions can. Magic Techs too or whatever. I don't care. I'm just throwing together something as an example. 

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#10 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

^ Very good example of just brainstorming ideas. With a little refinement, I can see that loose set of rules being a very full, fun experience to play.

There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from a preexisting franchise, but you really want your game to be a unique experience, especially in TCGs. You won't believe how many 1-off Yugioh/MTG card series people and companies have tried release, but because they're essentially in the same spirit of an already well-established game, they get no traction people just play the original.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to use Yugioh as a point of reference, but don't use it as a mold for your game.

[game design is one of the things I get really hyped over]

#11 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

Man, here I was thinking I had an original idea for a TCG. Geez Danico way to make a guy feel un-special. :(

#12 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

You realize there are plenty of card games you can play with your friends that don't require a lot of money or time right?

Just move onto something new, play Magic or Pokemon. If you are feeling really out there try this game: http://shop.brotherw...ctCode=BMA-GAME

try that one, it is complete in the box up to 4 players for 25 bucks and a lot of fun.

There is no need to go through the trouble of making a crappy game when there are literally thousands of board, card, and dice games on the market. Especially if you aren't going to sell it.

#13 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Munchkin is a really good, fairly cheap card game. Comparatively cheap anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cards, trading, making, handcraft