2 replies to this topic

#1 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

Well i have not watched a whole lot of anime but im starting to get angry at the fact the two shows i have watched i believe where both cancelled at the end of there first season is this a normal thing? (just finished high school of the dead and dead man wonderland)

200.gif

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Kinda. What's different about anime is the purpose for making them. Over in the west, when a new show is picked up by a network, their goal is for lots and lots of season, which means profit through syndication and such. If a show is popular and people watch, a second, then third season will be produced.

Anime, on the other hand, is mostly made to sell other forms of media, namely manga, light novels, and blu-rays, not viewership as it airs. Most of the new anime produced every season is based on comics or novels, and this is meant to drive sales of said comics and novels. Blu-rays come out a few months after the show premieres and otaku buy them because they're otaku. Hell, some of the worst shows ever had massive blu-ray sales because they came with a ticket to some stupid shit and the idiot otaku bought them just to shake sweaty hands with some idol. Plenty of great anime will never get a second season, either because they weren't popular, their blu-ray didn't sell, or they failed to boost sales of their source material.

Now, this isn't always true. I believe Kill la kill wasn't based on anything and it was massively huge, studio Trigger is amazing though. That space opera, Zero Ahona or something? It wasn't based on anything and a second season is playing right now, I believe. I didn't watch. Plenty of people want a third season of Spice and Wolf, which will never happen. Many, many, many shows that deserve a second season never get it.

Now, there are exceptions to this, of course. Highschool DxD has gotten three seasons in just two years (I think) and the light novel is on volume twelve or thirteen. The anime sells well enough, keeps driving sales of the comics, novels, and spin offs, and I'm sure there are plenty of sweaty otaku with Rias body pillows between their lonely thighs at night.

Deadman Wonderland was dropped during its first cour, if I recall correctly. Manga is finished, and way better. HIghschool of the dead, on the other hand, I believe the manga was unfinished. There's probably no source material left.

If you want a show that keeps churning out episodes, go with something like One Piece or Detective Conan. Shit, Gintama is on episode ten billion by now.

The best way to know if a show will get a second season is to look at the blu-ray sales. If it sells well, studios are more likely to make a new season. If the first season covers most of the material, a la Pet Girl of Seko-whatever, then there's likely not going to be a continuation.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#3 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Okay thanks for answering my question.

200.gif