Ginger, is the spice of life

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

I used to hate V Day until I hooked up with my girlfriend. Now I've turned into the antithesis of the very thing I used to hate.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

:lol:

Those are awesome. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

i love valentines. it means the day afterwards i get to rid the pharmacies of their leftover 80% off candy, much like halloween.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#5 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

Another day to buy women crap.

Another excuse to eat chocolate and watch Dr Who in bed =)

Then again, I don't need Valentine's for either of those things. The girls at the Pandora shop recognize me when I go to buy their crappy polished metal. -__-

#6 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

I used to hate V Day until I hooked up with my girlfriend. Now I've turned into the antithesis of the very thing I used to hate.

Give it time and it will most likely become annoying again.

Once you realise that you are spending the rest of your life with someone and Valentine's day is another annual obligation to be romantic of buy s gift.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#7 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

I don't buy Things, we make them.. It's better that way

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Give it time and it will most likely become annoying again.

Once you realise that you are spending the rest of your life with someone and Valentine's day is another annual obligation to be romantic of buy s gift.

I don't see it like this. People get accustomed to the people they are close to; they become comfortable and can take them for granted, especially a significant other. People should treat their partners with the love and courtesy expected on Valentine's all year round but they don't, precisely because we are people, a.k.a human. To me, the holiday is a chance to make up for that but also to do something special once a year. There's no obligation to do anything, but it's nice to. I'm in a long distance relationship, I didn't get to take Otter out for a meal this year or anything like that, but the things I did do (I hope) made an impact as to the extent of how much I care about her, and that despite the distance, despite how I let it get on top of me, I do love her. Without wanting to sound like an edgy-cunt: I feel like I still rarely let my emotions show outwardly. Valentine's gives me a hall-pass to gush once a year and that's probably a good thing too.

So you can treat it like a consumerist holiday hijacked by companies to spin a quick quid off a fundamentally beautiful part of the human experience, and plenty of people do. Or you can use it to reaffirm bonds, patch up issues and display your affection for your s.o. whether that's in buying them a swanky watch or simply writing a card and telling them how much they mean to you.

#9 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

You guys are pretty cynical. Why is buying someone you love something bad? 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#10 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

I love love love Valentine's Day! It's fun to have a day where everything falls to the side and the one (s) you love are shown just how much they really mean. Some people aren't creative so buying something is how they do it.. But you can do anything. Last year I made it Malentines Day and gave him a heart shaped box of beef jerky, a 6 pack of beer with flowers tops on the caps to symbolize a bouquet, and well other things ;) it's about showing appreciation because everyday life can get in the way. Oh romance

#11 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

That was supposed to be my point,but I can't say things in less than 2000 words apparently. :P

#12 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Cos you shouldn't need a designated day for that. It ruins the surprise and stuff.

Plus I've worked the past two V-days, and the one I was unemployed for I was also single so

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#13 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Cos you shouldn't need a designated day for that. It ruins the surprise and stuff.

Plus I've worked the past two V-days, and the one I was unemployed for I was also single so

Well yes, you should do it without a holiday as well, but it's a good excuse. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#14 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

As I said before, you should treat your s.o. with love and respect every day but we don't. I don't, you don't, no one does. Valentine's Day is a day literally fucking dedicated to loving your partner, there is literally nothing bad about that.

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

I do ._.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#16 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

I don't see it like this. People get accustomed to the people they are close to; they become comfortable and can take them for granted, especially a significant other. People should treat their partners with the love and courtesy expected on Valentine's all year round but they don't, precisely because we are people, a.k.a human. To me, the holiday is a chance to make up for that but also to do something special once a year. There's no obligation to do anything, but it's nice to. I'm in a long distance relationship, I didn't get to take Otter out for a meal this year or anything like that, but the things I did do (I hope) made an impact as to the extent of how much I care about her, and that despite the distance, despite how I let it get on top of me, I do love her. Without wanting to sound like an edgy-cunt: I feel like I still rarely let my emotions show outwardly. Valentine's gives me a hall-pass to gush once a year and that's probably a good thing too.

So you can treat it like a consumerist holiday hijacked by companies to spin a quick quid off a fundamentally beautiful part of the human experience, and plenty of people do. Or you can use it to reaffirm bonds, patch up issues and display your affection for your s.o. whether that's in buying them a swanky watch or simply writing a card and telling them how much they mean to you.

Gol, I agree. Also your avatar is adorable.

I am, for the most part, ambivalent to the idea of Valentine's day. I have never been in a real relationship, so I am bitter at the idea of never having the opportunity to experience the romance of the day, but then I think "fuck it" because there's no real reason for me to care. I don't hate it, I don't love it, or you could say that I both hate it and love it.

Because I can...

#17 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

I am a romantic, I love Valentine's day! And I also don't expect the guy to do all of the romantic stuff.. If someone really wants romance, they should be willing to bring it to the table. Thoughtfulness is the best gift. A gift or date, or gesture that really shows how much you know them is always a super romantic! Flowers and chocolate and balloon and stuff animals are a cop out, unless it's actually meaningful. I mean, it's sweet, I love flowers, but not really on Valentine's day, unless it's say a bouquet of sunflowers.. If you know me well enough to give me a gift, I expect that you'd know something about me.

#18 Bloodangel

Bloodangel

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

Valentine's day was just made up the greeting card companies to sell cards apparently

How I Feel When People I Hate Have A Miserable Day

5pZjHAx.gif      200.gif

#19 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

That's not really true, but just like every other holiday.. It's mass commercialized. Making it the rule that if you care (even just a little) that the person/people that you love should be bought something.. Expensive.. Can't focus on what everyone else is doing or why. I think girls just want to be worth the thought. Guys and girls think very differently. That is a fact.

#20 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

Valentine's day probably just a modernization of some ancient pagan festival to scare away spirits and make spring appear or some shit like that. Cynical dateless pricks complain to hide their fears of dying alone and being eaten by their Hemingway-esq army of cats in a cum stained twin-sized bed. Sappy romantic fools defend the holiday while silently thanking the deity of their choice that they have someone who's willing to gob on their knob or itch their ditch.

That being said, happy let's-make-sure-spring-comes-this-year-by-burning-some-virgins day to everyone. I love you all as much as an asocial misanthrope can.

4nkGiY7.png

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store