22 replies to this topic

#1 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

So Nintendo is releasing a new Nintendo 3DS XL, very creatively dubbed the "New Nintendo 3DS XL."
Here's the trailer:

I plan on purchasing this and trading in my current 3DS XL for half off. What do you guys think? Is this a really new system or just a way of extending the life of the 3DS? Personally, I view it as the DSi for the 3DS cycle. It's got a ton of new features and it's in-between major consoles. That being said, the new 3DS being significantly more powerful will have exclusives, something I very much desire.

Thoughts?

fl9Uov4.gif

#2 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Just stop, Nintendo. You're not fooling anyone smart.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#3 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

I'm too lazy to pause Grumps and watch a two-minute trailer. What are the new features?

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#4 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

At this point I feel like Nintendo is just trying to milk one of the few good things it has left. Nintendo has to do something drastic to stay competitive inside the gaming world otherwise they will just continue to go downhill. You can't just keep relying on the classics to get you through. 

Check out my blog https://mygeekygirllife.wordpress.com/

Check out my photography on instagram @thegeeklifeblog

#5 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

Not gonna lie, it's worked so far.

Have you seen the extensive library of retro DLC?

#6 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm too lazy to pause Grumps and watch a two-minute trailer. What are the new features?

It's... a little bit bigger.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#7 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

It may have worked so far but it can't last forever. The only thing Nintendo has going is a handful of games that are the same namesake as the classics and the then there's the hand held system. I don't think a Wii U is worth the money right now at all, and the wii itself has already lost it's value as a last generation console. Microsoft and Sony are in a whole different league when it comes to gaming than Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I do love the classic Nintendo but I think they need to rethink some things to stay in the race with this one.

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'd buy a Wii U for Mario 3D World if I had friends.

Also, MAAARIO KAAART EEEEEEIGHT.

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'd buy a Wii U if it wasn't shit.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#10 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Why do you hate it so much?

#11 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

I'll copy-paste something I wrote on another forum for that. There's also a thread somewhere on NF where I posted my views too, idk where though.

-

Too lazy to quote, but.

Back when the Wii U was still in conception stages, there was a ton of hype from gaming magazines/websites, and even Nintendo themselves talking the console up. Before it released, Satoru Iwata expressed his desires to break into Sony/Microsoft's market of hardcore gaming, citing the Wii's bad control system and weak graphic capabilities as reasons why it didn't sell well with gamers who had already established their roots in the Xbox or Playstation. At E3 2012, Scott Moffat echoed this sentiment, claiming that "the Wii U could become the preferred way to play those games for some of the core gamers." (referring to games like Call of Duty, Mass Effect, other top-tier titles on the other consoles)

And a few months back, Papa Shiggy actually snubbed "casual" players in an interview, stating that

"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said. "Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."

The main reason the hype didn't get very far outside of Nintendo fans is because they tried, at launch, to cater to everybody. But a poor release library and poor scheduling of releases let it down. The same thing happened with the 3DS, it was a failure until Mario Kart 7 came out. (I love the 3DS, but still) With that said, they appeared to also try to ride the hype of Bayonetta 2. Did it work? (I don't know, I thought the first game was awful)

-

My issue with the controls is the same issue I've always had with Nintendo consoles. They tried to make it different just because they could. When everyone else had moved to disks, Nintendo stuck with cartridges. When everyone moved to DVD-ROMs, Nintendo opted for those shitty mini-disk abominations. When everyone used a conventional control system, bam. Wiimote. Like I said, there's something to be said for a traditional system. Know why it's traditional? It's good, and it works. Sony tried it with the Move, but it wasn't very good, so it got thrown to the side in favour of a simpler touch system (for the PS4 controller). Similarly, Microsoft threw their all into Kinect, and what is it now? It's an afterthought nobody really seems to care for.

And, the idea that "if you want to play games normally, buy a different controller" is a disappointing response. If they switched it around and made the screen pad thing the optional add-on, packaging a regular controller with the Wii U? I might be tempted.

Then again, the only titles on the Wii U I like the look of are ZombiU (but with the controller, ugh) and SMT vs Fire Emblem (not out for a year or two yet, and there's only about a 35% chance it'll get outside Japan to begin with)

-

And, going back to the Mario part. Yes, they're good games. If you like that kind of game. If you don't like mindless platformers, you're SOL. And this ties into another issue I have with Nintendo. They have so many GREAT IPs, but they ignore them in favour of an Italian plumber and his semi-retarded brother. Where's Metroid? Why is Samus relegated to being sex appeal in a Smash Bros game? What about F Zero? Advance Wars? Golden Sun? Mother?

All these great ideas that are just tossed aside. And that's not even taking into account  DS/3DS titles that would translate really well onto a home system. Pokémon, the Tales series, Etrian Odyssey (would work pretty well with the controller, too)

I'd also like to see some sequels to the Wii games I enjoyed, but those aren't actual Nintendo titles, so that's unlikely. Onechanbara, No More Heroes, Red Steel (I actually loved the motion controls on it), Rune Factory (even though I still hate Marvelous Entertainment for cancelling the Rune Factory 4 release in Europe. Dicks)

That turned out longer than I meant it to. Whoops.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#12 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

This is like the "New" iPad.

I don't see why a refresh of a popular console is bad though, as long as it stays at the same price point.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#13 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

Mostly because it makes it feel like, if you've bought a 3DS before, it turns out you bought an inferior product. Because this one is "bigger and better" and provides the "definitive" experience etc. etc. So if you want the best stuff, you're gonna have to give them money again even though your 3DS is in perfect working order, because they've decided they want more dosh.

So basically it comes across as Nintendo trying to grab money from the retards who are willing to buy the same console again because you get an extra half-inch screen size.

I object to it, the same way I object to game developers bringing out multiple versions of the same game (see: Super Awesome Ultimate Rapeface Amazing Brilliant Tremendous Street Fighter IV Ultra Alpha Omega with the crusts cut off, which STILL has DLC to buy if you feel like giving Capcom upwards of $60 for palette swaps)

LL1Yc5i.gif

#14 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Utterly valid points, all of them.

#15 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

I was excited for the new 3DS until I realized that literally everyone but North America gets the standard 3DS with the interchangeable face plates. I love personalizing my things and I was really looking forward to that. I won't be buying the new one unless they release the standard version, the big one is too big for my tiny hands and too big to carry with me.

#16 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

And, going back to the Mario part. Yes, they're good games. If you like that kind of game. If you don't like mindless platformers, you're SOL. And this ties into another issue I have with Nintendo. They have so many GREAT IPs, but they ignore them in favour of an Italian plumber and his semi-retarded brother. Where's Metroid? Why is Samus relegated to being sex appeal in a Smash Bros game? What about F Zero? Advance Wars? Golden Sun? Mother?

All these great ideas that are just tossed aside. And that's not even taking into account  DS/3DS titles that would translate really well onto a home system. Pokémon, the Tales series, Etrian Odyssey (would work pretty well with the controller, too)

I'd also like to see some sequels to the Wii games I enjoyed, but those aren't actual Nintendo titles, so that's unlikely. Onechanbara, No More Heroes, Red Steel (I actually loved the motion controls on it), Rune Factory (even though I still hate Marvelous Entertainment for cancelling the Rune Factory 4 release in Europe. Dicks)

I absolutely love Nintendo so I hate to admit it, but you're right on the mark. Where's Metroid U? F-Zero U? etc.? Those games would be amazing.

fl9Uov4.gif

#17 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

F-Zero U

WANT. NOW.

#18 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

Nah. I'll just stick to my 2DS. Unless this console comes with a pair of boobs. I ain't interested. :P

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#19 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

I'll copy-paste something I wrote on another forum for that. There's also a thread somewhere on NF where I posted my views too, idk where though.

-

Too lazy to quote, but.

Back when the Wii U was still in conception stages, there was a ton of hype from gaming magazines/websites, and even Nintendo themselves talking the console up. Before it released, Satoru Iwata expressed his desires to break into Sony/Microsoft's market of hardcore gaming, citing the Wii's bad control system and weak graphic capabilities as reasons why it didn't sell well with gamers who had already established their roots in the Xbox or Playstation. At E3 2012, Scott Moffat echoed this sentiment, claiming that "the Wii U could become the preferred way to play those games for some of the core gamers." (referring to games like Call of Duty, Mass Effect, other top-tier titles on the other consoles)

And a few months back, Papa Shiggy actually snubbed "casual" players in an interview, stating that

The main reason the hype didn't get very far outside of Nintendo fans is because they tried, at launch, to cater to everybody. But a poor release library and poor scheduling of releases let it down. The same thing happened with the 3DS, it was a failure until Mario Kart 7 came out. (I love the 3DS, but still) With that said, they appeared to also try to ride the hype of Bayonetta 2. Did it work? (I don't know, I thought the first game was awful)

-

My issue with the controls is the same issue I've always had with Nintendo consoles. They tried to make it different just because they could. When everyone else had moved to disks, Nintendo stuck with cartridges. When everyone moved to DVD-ROMs, Nintendo opted for those shitty mini-disk abominations. When everyone used a conventional control system, bam. Wiimote. Like I said, there's something to be said for a traditional system. Know why it's traditional? It's good, and it works. Sony tried it with the Move, but it wasn't very good, so it got thrown to the side in favour of a simpler touch system (for the PS4 controller). Similarly, Microsoft threw their all into Kinect, and what is it now? It's an afterthought nobody really seems to care for.

And, the idea that "if you want to play games normally, buy a different controller" is a disappointing response. If they switched it around and made the screen pad thing the optional add-on, packaging a regular controller with the Wii U? I might be tempted.

Then again, the only titles on the Wii U I like the look of are ZombiU (but with the controller, ugh) and SMT vs Fire Emblem (not out for a year or two yet, and there's only about a 35% chance it'll get outside Japan to begin with)

-

I cannot explain how much I love this post. You took the words right out of my mouth, well my head because I didn't know how to put all that into words.

#20 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

http://www.gamespot....ftag=YHR28b9ce3

Things to take away from this article:

-Confirmed for release in Japan and Europe, no information on whether it'll get a North American release

-There are games, dubbed 'New 3DS games' which will not work on previous models

-The 'New 3DS' does not support external attachments such as the Circle Pad Pro or the thing for Pokémon Tretta Labs

-Papa Shiggy has once again snubbed 'casual' gamers, claiming "because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives" which means basically, he wants to not make child-pandering bullshit that takes no mental faculties apart from colour-recognition.

-Xenoblade Chronicles has been confirmed as a title being released for the 'New 3DS' and will not support regular 3DS consoles

Jeez, Nintendo. Now you're really making me want to hate you.

LL1Yc5i.gif