• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Boo

Boo

Byte

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:27 AM

So way back when my world was all sunshine and puppy-dog tails before I learned about things like budgeting and politics, I collected comic books. This was during the glorious 90s. At least, they were (mostly) glorious for me. I still have a long box or two of those comics left and I have recently busted them out and started going through them again. Now I really want to get back in to it. I'm not a "collector" or anything like that but just like my novels, I would like to keep those issues that I read and add them to my collection. So I want to collect them again but I'm not a collector. Confused yet? I think it's a paradox that only comic readers really understand. 

Alas! I am overwhelmed by the huge overhauls that each major company (Marvel and DC) has gone through. Things such as The New 52 and whatever the heck Marvel is doing with what appears to be their re-introduction of the Secret Wars or something like it have me positively confuddled as to where I should start.

When it comes to DC, I would really like to stick with the New 52 and work my way onward from there. Some of the character who I am most interested in are Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash. I'm a long time fan of Batman and I'm pretty sure where I can figure out where to start with him. After watching Smallville, I've recently come to better appreciate Superman as a character as where I use to hate his guts. That's right. I was one of them. A Superman hater. 

As for Marvel.....I don't even know what to do. Marvel is definitely my favored brand. There was actually a time in my comic reading days where Batman was the only DC character I had anything to do with. But I find myself confounded by all of these different "universes" and all that jazz. What is up with this whole "Ultimate universe" and what does it exist in opposition to? The Marvel characters I would really like to get in to are Spider-Man (he's my all time favorite super hero and I feel a nerdy sort of guilt for having not followed the character for so long), Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and the X-Men (I've come to notice that I tend to prefer X-Men arcs in which they aren't dealing with other characters from the Marvel Universe such as the Avengers, Spider-Man, and other non-mutant types).

So there you have it. I'm at a loss. I think I might actually have a better handle on where to start with DC than with Marvel which is surprising considering my preferred affiliation. DC seems pretty straight forward in its motivations concerning the New 52 (from what I can tell, it was just an excuse to wipe the slate clean and start over). But Marvel just has me at all sorts of a loss. I was working at a bookstore when the Civil War story arc started and I remember really wanting to get in to that but the time was not right financially and probably still isn't but I'm tired of waiting. I'll start slow if I must.

So there you have it! What do you guys and gals think? And don't let my "specifications" limit your suggestions. I have a wide pallet in my comic tastes. I was just giving you an idea of what I most enjoy. 

And a question of less importance: does anybody have any experience with Marvel Unlimited? Is it worth the $9.99 a month? Is there any way to do with them what I do with Netflix which is to pay for a few months, cancel my subscription, and then pick it back up later on when I feel like they might have some more selections? I would really prefer to have physical copies but I'm not against reading some issues online, even if they're older. 

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

So much chatty.

The only comic worth reading is Archy. And not for that virginal cocktease, but for the slutty slut Veronica.

Anywho, Marvel is acting weird recently, DC stopped being interesting when they decided to bring Superman back, and I'm not sure Dark Horse is even still a thing.

There's an alternative universe Batman where Bruce Wayne's parents are Joker and Batman and he's dead. It's pretty fucking interesting. Harley Quin and Poison Ivy did a buddy comedy in prison thing a while back that was decent and sexy. Aside from that, I don't care for DC very much anymore. Oooh, except for slutty Starfire in the new Teen Titans. She's technically a catgirl, too.

Deadpool is about the only Marvel comic I read regularly, and I'm starting to get sick of the dick riding. I hate when something becomes too popular. Same reason I stopped watching Walking Dead and drinking cappuccinos.    

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store