#41 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

Turret is right though guys.

Even if you could have a literal light saber that you could see, there is nothing to say that the photons would contain enough energy to chop and cauterise a limb off. What's more likely is there will be people running around with a new meaning to cancer sticks.

*chops at someone's arm with light saber*
"Muhahaha maybe in ten years time you will have melanoma and possibly lymphoma, die fiend!"

Very effective :P

A superheated metal that glows is a more likely alternative, but it would probably take much energy and be quite unstable.

What about the whole laser thing though? Anything in the very narrow beam of a high powered laser will burn, anything outside it will not. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#42 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

What about the whole laser thing though? Anything in the very narrow beam of a high powered laser will burn, anything outside it will not. 

But in order to slow the light down, you need to change the medium through which it travels. How do you get the medium to travel exactly alongside the light wave? Additionally, if the purpose was for shooting someone, why would you want to slow down the laser at all? hitting someone with a "bullet" at the speed of light is a huge military advantage, I'd think. I'm not very knowledgeable about lasers, unfortunately, so I apologize if anything is wrong.

fl9Uov4.gif

#43 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:52 AM

You need to change the medium currently

Just because that's how it has to be done now doesn't mean that's how it will always have to be done, or that we won't find another creative way to solve the issue. It's not like computers still use vacuum tubes. 

Also, who said anything about shooting someone? I want to cut people. Swish, swish, stab. Think of like, a laser scalpel as a possible real world use. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#44 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

You need to change the medium currently

Just because that's how it has to be done now doesn't mean that's how it will always have to be done, or that we won't find another creative way to solve the issue. It's not like computers still use vacuum tubes. 

Also, who said anything about shooting someone? I want to cut people. Swish, swish, stab. Think of like, a laser scalpel as a possible real world use. 

I'm almost 100% certain that the ONLY way scientifically possible is to change the medium. Also I thought you said something about Star Wars-like blasters

fl9Uov4.gif

#45 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

It's not like computers still use vacuum tubes. 

Mine does :(

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.