7 replies to this topic

#1 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

So,
Basically I like this forum, even if its not really active and just a recreation of Spleenbegone.com

But more importantly is, what do we want for it?
Do we want a simple arcade?
Do we want an OpenRPG?
Do we want this, Do we want that?

I think this is especially important because I remember at spleenbegone, I would leave for years, only to come back because I love the place
But Lack of activity is most forums' biggest issue....
So what do we do?

This is more of a suggestion to brainstorm than a suggestion to do this or that

I know I watch a lot of starcraft videos
-HD Starcraft, Husky, etc
If we were to have an RSS feed that updates whenever they have a new video, that would be kinda dope
That way I don't have to go to youtube and check, I just can come here and check

Just throwing it out there

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm not a big starcraft player myself, but if you could find on or two willing to post their videos here, I could set that up I'm sure.

Is there anything else you'd like to see? Or anyone for that matter.

Also, as far as activity, today is the one week birthday of it, that's part of the problem. I'm taking all of what I've learned from my previous forum experiment and trying to make this one much better from scratch. So far it seems to be paying off. Every day since I opened it there have been more unique views, more page views, more keyword returns, and we're already on google, which is pretty awesome. So overall I have high hopes for the member base growing as long as everyone is willing to stick around while it gets started. Also, if you know anyone who may be interested in this place, please suggest it to them. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

I think the trouble for a forum is always that you have to find your own little niche in the ecosystem, if you manage to pull enough people who are also interested in your subject, then you are fine. If its mostly people posting you know and who have registered to do you a favor... well needless to say, they lose interest after a while.

I like the Arcade section by the way.
Posted Image

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to build up the user base now.

Thanks. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

I think the trouble for a forum is always that you have to find your own little niche in the ecosystem, if you manage to pull enough people who are also interested in your subject, then you are fine. If its mostly people posting you know and who have registered to do you a favor... well needless to say, they lose interest after a while.

I like the Arcade section by the way.

Finding your nitch makes you internet-famous

on Mugen-Infantry I created myself some internet drama, and it was quite successful
I made a name for myself
Likewise I constantly debated my points against experienced people who felt in the know because I believed I was right
I found my nitch

But have since not been back because I haven't had the time to get into mugen nor is it truelly worth visiting for fun

However, this is a new forum, fresh, that is more of a blank slate than it is truelly a gathering for a reason
Some IB regulars Supporting Spleen because he's a cool dude

Now, with that being said, for youtube videos
http://gdata.youtube...demo/index.html
Deviant art XML
You'd be suprised what xml can do, though its nice to have other peoples permission, you can hook their youtube accounts right into a feed

If any of ya'll know about "hangouts" in google+, you can watch videos togethor
I did this before, except it was just a television channel that was constantly going on
It was pretty dope imo

Now back to what we want
-I make a reasonable amount of cash (work as a barback in a pretty successful bar in hollywood), and I have no problem putting down a hundred here or there for the greater good

But its a very important question to ask, especially since I shifted in and out of spleenbegone.com all the time
What do we want to include here?
We don't have to be crooks and steal without permission
But I do believe we need something, to keep this forum interesting

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

The xml stuff is pretty nifty. I'm going to start recording more of the things I build and use that for integration.

I do agree however, we need some good content. A lot of this can just be good reviews, top 10 lists, anything that makes people stop and read when they click in from a search engine, or makes someone want to link to us. A good youtube channel would help a lot as well, with some nice interesting content and backlinks. It'd also be nice to have some more unique content to pull people in like a minecraft server,game tournaments, building contests, etc.

Like you said, this is a clean slate. I'd like to do everything right.

edit - Just realized today is the third consecutive day with over 100 visits as well, a great sign. We need to convert these numbers to visitors though.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 stonergoth187

stonergoth187

Byte

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

I like to make stuff, and to be taught how to make stuff, and to share things iv'e made with others, and have things shared with me

sharing is fun!

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

Well there's a section just for that. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spleenbegone, is, cool, dude