Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

"Heroes fade away; legends never die."

Just see the movie.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

From http://www.newyorker...-the-crosshairs

Spoiler

And:

Spoiler

Jessy Ventura sued him for lying about an encounter:

http://www.nationalr...wsuit-j-delgado

Sweet lines from his book, also from the New Yorker:

“I don’t shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.”

“Ninety per cent of being cool is looking cool."

He “hated the damn savages” he was fighting.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#3 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:40 AM

Sorry, here, did you just believe Jesse "I believe just about every conspiracy theory about the U.S. government ever" Ventura over Christopher Kyle?  Dude is almost more crazy than Alex Jones.  Almost.

The movie has some of those lines.

Just see the movie.  That's all I'm asking.  It seems almost everybody is this weekend.

Only a few critics hate it.  Basically, Movie Bob for the most part.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:52 AM

I feel like a broken record player but:

>Eurgh, glorification of gratuitous, morally ambiguous violence.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

I feel like a broken record player but:

>Eurgh, glorification of gratuitous, morally ambiguous violence.

*Clears throat.*

It takes zero stand, like most war movies that aren't the Civil War or WWII.

It just presents the dude for what he was.  And that's it.

Man was a gorramn legend.  Taken well before his time.  By somebody he was just trying to help.  Which happened only a few months after Bradley Cooper got cast in the part.

The movie had an ending no one was happy to film.  Because he sold the movie rights of his life before he was murdered.

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

I've yet to see the movie, but here's a quick interview with him before his death.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Jesse Ventura is a huge tool, without a doubt.

However, I have been reading and seeing a lot of stuff about this fellow with two first names and his general lack of reliability.

He is like that kid we all went to school with that made random shit up and basked in how cool it made him look to all the stupid kids.

It is all pretty sad actually.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#8 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

I've yet to see the movie, but here's a quick interview with him before his death.

He was a great guy.

Jesse Ventura is a huge tool, without a doubt.

However, I have been reading and seeing a lot of stuff about this fellow with two first names and his general lack of reliability.

He is like that kid we all went to school with that made random shit up and basked in how cool it made him look to all the stupid kids.

It is all pretty sad actually.

You mean all the hit pieces by people who didn't like the Iraq War?  The ones who say "I support our troops but not their mission"?

Because those people are not telling the truth.

Dude has done things few could ever hope to have accomplished.

That's the critic's fallacy:  Some critics become cold-hearted cynical bastards who tear people down if said people are better than they are.

It's like some critics just shit on good people for not being perfect (and for representing an ideal said critics are not in favor of.)

#9 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

really? again with this glorification of violence?

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#10 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

really? again with this glorification of violence?

"Glorification of violence," you say?

You mean every action movie ever?

Like all of them.

Or, do you only mean in cases where it's a war film based on actual actions of a person who actually existed?

#11 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Yes in my opinion there is a difference between a fictional film or a film based on real events.

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#12 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Yes in my opinion there is a difference between a fictional film or a film based on real events.

Wait, so the good guy in an action flick can be kill people with reckless abandon, but the second the movie is "based on a true story," the main character can't kill the enemy in a theater of war even if that's exactly what he did?

In all honesty, there's a reason we only get lone wolf cop (or buddy) action movies anymore.  Y'all don't want any sense of realism in your violence.  It gets too real for y'all.  I like all flavors in the action genre gumbo.

I watched Dark Angel for the first time a day or two before I saw American Sniper.  Two completely different action films.  Both fantastic.

#13 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Actual people died. And they make the film about this guy who gets off by shooting people from far away.

Honestly I haven't seen the film and I really don't care to.

#14 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Actual people died. And they make the film about this guy who gets off by shooting people from far away.

Honestly I haven't seen the film and I really don't care to.

Yes, evil people who were trying to kill members of the American military.

That's what war is.  Or did you forget that?

If you don't care, then why did you see the point to issue an opinion on it in the first place?  This is a discussion after all.  If you leave an opinion, no matter how well-meaning, don't expect everyone to agree with you.  That's not how discussion of art works.

It earned every single Oscar nomination.  Clint deserved one for Best Director, but he already has a few of those so I don't really care about that.

Bradley Cooper was fantastic.  Best dramatic performance he's ever given.

#15 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

You mean all the hit pieces by people who didn't like the Iraq War?  The ones who say "I support our troops but not their mission"?

Because those people are not telling the truth.

Dude has done things few could ever hope to have accomplished.

That's the critic's fallacy:  Some critics become cold-hearted cynical bastards who tear people down if said people are better than they are.

It's like some critics just shit on good people for not being perfect (and for representing an ideal said critics are not in favor of.)

Nope.

I mean the stuff that focused on how he was full of himself and clearly fabricated nearly everything he boasted about.

I am not doubting that he was a very skilled individual, but do you think that maybe his military history has an effect on how people see him?

America has this weird glamour hanging over its eyes when it comes to soldiers.

They nearly automatically defend the soldier simply because they are a soldier.

Military people are just people, and people are often dinks.

So maybe, just maybe, he is just a dink who everyone loves.

It wouldn't be the first time charisma overshadowed nincompoopery.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#16 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

Part of it is because they do stuff most of us can't or won't do.

I don't know how they do it, but I know why they do it.

#17 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

To secure oil, right?

#18 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

Yes, evil people who were trying to kill members of the American military.

So actually if the American military wasn't there in the first place there would have been no reason to shoot all these people..

And they were there to..?

To secure oil, right?

#19 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

To secure oil, right?

You mean the oil fields we secured and then handed right back to the Iraqis?  Those?

Because that's a lie that just won't die, apparently.

Or did you forget about the Oil for Food scandal that rocked the UN before the Iraq War?

So actually if the American military wasn't there in the first place there would have been no reason to shoot all these people..

Huh?  You mean the Middle East would be a stable haven of democracy without the U.S. intervention?  Sure if you think any of the tyrannical regimes would ever willingly give up power or stop refusing basic liberties to their citizens.  Saddam's rape and torture dungeons would totally be not there anymore if we didn't get rid of him!  His sons were psychopaths.

The Middle East continues to be a ridiculous hellhole of despair.  The Arab Spring didn't do anything long-term.  Yemen's gone to shit just this week.  Syria is a mess.  ISIS is terrible.  Boko Haram is terrorizing Africa by stealing and then marrying off very young girls whilst expanding its territory for an eventual caliphate.  Iran is getting ever closer to the nuke.  Lebanon continues to support Hezbollah.  al Qaeda is not on the run.

Terrorism isn't going away even as we leave.  Do you just expect it to go away once we're not there?  Of course not.  It was there long before we intervened and it will continue to be there long after we leave.  Until they're stopped of course.  But who will stop them, realistically, if America doesn't?  Nobody, really.

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:51 AM

I've never seen such a combination of denial and sensationalist bollocks at the same time, how do you do it, what's your secret?