25 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

It's actually from Canada, so I'm watching Canadian commercials. Hearing "F-150, Canada's best selling truck." is like bizarro world.  

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

We watch a fuck tonne of American T.V. here in Canuckland, so it doesn't really rattle us when we are exposed to your commercials.

Though I can imagine ours would be a bit different.

See any for Timmies and wonder what the fuck was going on?

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Not yet, what's a Timmies?

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

F-150s are awesome >_>

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

I got so used to Brit television when I was there that American shows were strange to watch.

When I was in France, though, I got to watch a bunch of Simpsons in French, and that was awesome.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#6 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Not yet, what's a Timmies?

I forgot that is a weird regional term.

It is Tim Horton's, the coffee and Timbit Mecca of the great white north.

When I was in France, though, I got to watch a bunch of Simpsons in French, and that was awesome.

That is how I bolstered my understanding of French when I was younger.

I already knew all of the jokes in English, so I just muggled it out.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#7 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

You speak French?

Ginger, is the spice of life

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

Damn you, Canada, and your bi-lingual television.

I do, Elf.

#9 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

That's sweet! I know toddler

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

F-150s are awesome >_>

There are better trucks. >.>

Also, it's pretty much american tv with a different name. There's super patriotic commercials, lots of truck ads, and fast food.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

And French.

#12 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

There are better trucks. >.>

Also, it's pretty much american tv with a different name. There's super patriotic commercials, lots of truck ads, and fast food.

It's the best selling, which is for its hauling power in construction and farming related professions.

And artisanal bakeries are not all that common in America outside the big cities.  What we do have a lot of are franchises of popular restaurants.

Popular doesn't mean bad, as long as you're not eating it every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner like Morgan Spurlock.

Oh, and patriotic commercials are a cheap advertising gimmick if the product is generally of poor quality but not always.

Classically-trained marketing guy, right here.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#13 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

That's really cool. I really admire people that can speak of understand another language

#14 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

That's really cool. I really admire people that can speak of understand another language

Well, in Canada, especially the French Quarter, isn't that essentially taught in schools very early?  Because of the commonality of the French language in those parts of Canada?

In America, we're generally not required to be fluent in any other language than English, and not even that in some places.

Although it should be said, if you're not fluent in English in America, you're probably not gonna get that job when you show up to the interview and can't communicate with them.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#15 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

Depends on the employer. Even here in the northeast, I've met people working who literally spoke five-ish words in English.

I'm surprised they can survive here. There aren't many fluent Hispanophones around here at all. I can only imagine what grocery shopping is like for them.

#16 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:00 PM

I learned French from grade 1-9 mandatory.

As far as I know that is country wide, not just in the provinces nearest Quebec.

#17 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Fucking Canada and your stupid, intelligent education regulations.

#18 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

Fucking Canada and your stupid, intelligent education regulations.

Well, America gets to skate on by with just teaching English because 1) it is one of the hardest to learn grammar-wise and 2) it is the international language of business because of the U.S. dollar's place as the world's reserve currency.

Knew a lot of Asian exchange students growing up and in college.  When I asked about knowing English they would say "Yeah, we basically have to know English if we ever want to leave our home countries."  (And since most of them were the children of generally well-off Chinese parents, of course they want to leave China.)

#19 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

In 6th grade I took German, Spanish and French, but I did care because well it was 6th grade haha but my son is learning sign language and I wou love for one of my kids to make language a career, it's so needed to translate between languages. My sons school has free clubs, he's in lego club, basketball club and sign language. He's rea smart.. Like not just I'm his mom, he's so smart, like top of his class for reading and math, and very interested in answers. I try to give him every chance in education. I was told that if I keep him on track and throw some community service in there, that he could do a lot for his community, or bigger. That's kinda hard to handle, don't fuck off now hahahaha

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:24 AM

Anglo-Centricity in terms of language will cause massive economic disruption in this century as China becomes the world's economic powerhouse. They are already the most significant holder of international debt and *the* driving force behind African development.

Unfortunately, if English speakers don't learn Spanish, Mandarin or one of the three main Indian languages, we will lose our footing on the world stage.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.