21 replies to this topic

#1 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

So this big name title in the MMORPG genre is fast approaching, was wondering if anyone else was looking into this game and was interested in it like I am. I haven't had the opportunity to make it into a beta as of right now, I'm hoping that will change in the future but we'll see.

From what I've gathered the PvP is going to be interesting. People are saying it's going to be a lot more drawn out and strategic like it is in WoW versus something like ArcheAge where it was a just a race to see who could get off the first skill and win. 

My only two major concerns with the game as of right now are if it's going to become a p2w game such as ArcheAge, and if there is going to be a lot of botting in it like a lot of free-to-play mmorpg's have these days. Other than that the game looks very solid and I'm hoping it will stay that way.

Website for game: http://black-desert.com/

Lp5M62Z.gif

#2 hasu

hasu

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Wait it says western realease early 2016. :/

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

Looks ok.

But between WoW and Destiny I don't really have the time, or desire, to play another MMO.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#4 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Wait it says western realease early 2016. :/

Yup it has another year before release, but I've been waiting for this game for a couple years now so it feels like the release is coming up soon.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#5 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

So Black Desert officially launched today and I have a 7 day guest pass if anyone is interested in trying out the game before buying it. If you want it send me a PM or something.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#6 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

If anyone here is playing Black Desert lemme know! I'm on the Orwen server.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#7 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

My outdated computer can't handle it, of course. It's something I'd be willing to try in the future.

I have a deep appreciation for games that allow custom characters with attention to detail. I really like a range of races to choose from, to. Giants? Awesome. No female giant though. =/

I know the game is still young but from what I see in pvp videos, it's very irritable. It's like, play a Ranger and win. GG.

Tell us a little about itemization and looting. Is looting satisfying in this game? I see in most videos posted that people are wearing matching garments and looting is too quick for me to make out anything. Is it like umm costumes like what Fable III did. I think in that one you got a private dressing room for your collected attires.

#8 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Na, as far as PvP goes every class is good. Ranger is simply the most popular because even a child could play it and it has good kite/burst. Sorc is the most OP in PvP. Valkyrie has the highest burst DPS in the game and it's my favorite class. All classes are extremely good.

As far as itemization goes it's fairly limited so far because we're still so early into the game, as more patches come more gear will be added to make it more unique. Looting is straight forward, mobs always drop trash loot and if you're lucky they'll drop a blackstone as well which you need to enchant your weapons and armor. Trash loot in the game actually sells for quite a bit compared to other games which is most often how people make their money. Making money and getting good gear is actually pretty simple as long as you put in some time to grind the loot.

Boss drops are what you ultimately want, certain bosses can drop boss gear which for some classes is the BIS gear, although there's other gear for cheaper that gives the very similar bonuses as boss armor so if you can't afford the GG gear then you'll still be able to compete with the big boys at least instead of getting left in the dust.

My least favorite part of the game is the lack of customization as far as costumes go. If you want a costume you have to buy it from the cash shop and they're 30$ a piece. They give small XP bonuses and Amity bonuses which is the only real reason they're worth getting. Costumes are how Daum make their money basically since there's no monthly subscription or anything. Also all the armor in the game looks the same so if you dont have a costume you're gonna look like a basic bitch. That's my biggest beef with the game.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#9 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

Microtransactions make up games now. It's actually for the better, I think. $30 seems like a waste for one piece though...

That kinda money can get me 3-4 skins in LoL, 10 or so chests in Smite which could be 4-5 skins. I like spending money though? I've probably put $500 or so into LoL over the two years I've been playing. $130ish into Smite already, but I don't plan on buying much more on Smite. It's real stupid you have to pay for voice packs.

When I played Neverwinter I probably dumped $200 into it before deciding that pay-2-win is real, and a thing, and that this was stupid. Real stupid. There are things that are attractive about that game but I can't bring myself to get back into it.

#10 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

Well, Sethre twisted my arm. He was like, "try this game or I'll never TALK TO YOU AGAIN. FUCK MINNESOTA!"

Nah, in all seriousness I have been trying new MMO's lately. Finally have a computer that can play games... I'm closer to the times now. Sethre had spare guest passes (and may possess a couple more is that right?) so here I am giving it a shot. Only got a couple hours in but here's my first impression:

Probably the best character customization I've seen. Not that I've sampled many games but let me tell you, I spent more time MAKING my toon than playing it. I enjoy the options and attention to detail. Pretty impressive.

I chose Sorceress for my first class. The attack motions seem aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It almost feels like Street Fighter meets up with WoW at a Yoga studio.

However, the attack animations (spell visuals) are very bland. I understand the darkness theme they kinda have to stick to? but tends to get boring. As a sorceress I guess I was hoping for more fire & ice; pillars of frost erupting from the ground and blazing meteors crashing to earth. Instead it's a whoosh of darkness. Still kinda neat, though.

As far as skill trees and itemization goes it is way too early to tell. I know the game has a learning curve to it, there's a lot of fucking stuff to explore that I have not begun to touch up on. I just run around and literally mash buttons and I fly around the field throwing dark ninja moves.

You have to choose a family name and every single good one on the planet is taken. Count on it for your character names as well. I ended up being a Rockbender. Even stuff like Ironside was taken. But after trying names for 10 minutes I landed on Starsea and made a character more fitting of the name. Here she is, my first anyways...

lndVbzJ.jpg

Turgoise-esque hair. Aqua with green tips, the same shades applied to the eyes as well as a star pupil. I think I went with a preset face, only changing the eyeliner and brows?

In the background is a Weasel, which many hath suffered my shadow dance moves. Still really don't know what the fuck is going on, like I said I am running around, button mashing, checking out my hair, and attacking whatever moves.

#11 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

It sounds like you should play Wizard instead of Sorc. Wizard has crazy meteor and lightning skills as well as fire and ice. They also have some crazy AoE heals which make them extremely nice to have in groups.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#12 Noir

Noir

Megabyte

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Well, Sethre twisted my arm. He was like, "try this game or I'll never TALK TO YOU AGAIN. FUCK MINNESOTA!"

Nah, in all seriousness I have been trying new MMO's lately. Finally have a computer that can play games... I'm closer to the times now. Sethre had spare guest passes (and may possess a couple more is that right?) so here I am giving it a shot. Only got a couple hours in but here's my first impression:

Probably the best character customization I've seen. Not that I've sampled many games but let me tell you, I spent more time MAKING my toon than playing it. I enjoy the options and attention to detail. Pretty impressive.

I chose Sorceress for my first class. The attack motions seem aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It almost feels like Street Fighter meets up with WoW at a Yoga studio.

However, the attack animations (spell visuals) are very bland. I understand the darkness theme they kinda have to stick to? but tends to get boring. As a sorceress I guess I was hoping for more fire & ice; pillars of frost erupting from the ground and blazing meteors crashing to earth. Instead it's a whoosh of darkness. Still kinda neat, though.

As far as skill trees and itemization goes it is way too early to tell. I know the game has a learning curve to it, there's a lot of fucking stuff to explore that I have not begun to touch up on. I just run around and literally mash buttons and I fly around the field throwing dark ninja moves.

You have to choose a family name and every single good one on the planet is taken. Count on it for your character names as well. I ended up being a Rockbender. Even stuff like Ironside was taken. But after trying names for 10 minutes I landed on Starsea and made a character more fitting of the name. Here she is, my first anyways...

lndVbzJ.jpg

Turgoise-esque hair. Aqua with green tips, the same shades applied to the eyes as well as a star pupil. I think I went with a preset face, only changing the eyeliner and brows?

In the background is a Weasel, which many hath suffered my shadow dance moves. Still really don't know what the fuck is going on, like I said I am running around, button mashing, checking out my hair, and attacking whatever moves.

Holy shit, is that what characters look like. That looks amazing.

Is the character creator highly customisable? 

8Kd33GJ.gif

'Cause I know, 
I'll kill my enemies,
When they come.

#13 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Holy shit, is that what characters look like. That looks amazing.

Is the character creator highly customisable? 

Extremely. I honestly don't think there's anything you can't customize. You can even customize how the hair lays on your characters head. It's pretty cool. And you can change the iris and pupil of the eye to whatever style, size, or color you want which I think is a pretty cool feature.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#14 Noir

Noir

Megabyte

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

Extremely. I honestly don't think there's anything you can't customize. You can even customize how the hair lays on your characters head. It's pretty cool. And you can change the iris and pupil of the eye to whatever style, size, or color you want which I think is a pretty cool feature.

Definitely should give this a shot at some point.

I had a look at it, and I'm seeing it's a paid game. Not looked too extensively though - is it a one-off purchase kind of like how Guild Wars 2 was originally? Is it a monthly subscription game similar to World of Warcraft. Also, does it utilise microtransactions at all? 

8Kd33GJ.gif

'Cause I know, 
I'll kill my enemies,
When they come.

#15 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

Its a one time purchase, but they really kick you in the gut if you want a costume... The costumes are $30. Its fucking dumb but i still bought some because they look good and they give nice bonuses.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#16 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Also I have 2 more guest passes so if youre interested ill give you one to use.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#17 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

Do it Noir! It's a pretty neat game. Not only does it have the best customization features I've seen but the boobs, man. They jiggle when you turn, walk, and bounce when you run! And there is a feature that auto runs you to your next quest destination. So you can turn camera and admire your handy work.

No doubt, I think I turned into 15-year-old Adam just then.

But I've noticed combat seems really dumbed down. It's easy to rape mobs. They move and attack slowly, unless that's intended to add to the super hype kinda attack styles where you appear to be super fast. Sethre how is the pvp now and does farming get more challenging?

#18 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

Grinding all comes down to your gear and level, early grinding is easy, later grinding takes longer and mobs hit harder, but if you keep up with your gear and enchant it then it'll help.

PvP also comes down to gear and level, there is no level cap, there's just a soft cap which is 50. Right now 56-58 is the typical level to be at if you want to PvP and as you can imagine the higher level you are the harder it is for a lower level to hit you because of the way the accuracy system works in the game. Also if someone has a fuckin TRI: Liverto or Kzarka weapon you're basically fucked. So the game is extreeeeemely gear centered, but if you get to +15 gear or PRI gear you'll still be able to PvP well enough.

TL;DR: Keep up with levels and gear.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#19 Photography Raptor

Photography Raptor

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

Really hard to tell what class I like the most. I've tried three so far. I like Sorceress and Ninja. My kunoichi is actually higher level now.

I managed to hop on and play for 20 minutes after the maintenance. I'm going to have to sit down tomorrow morning and get some good hours into and explore what the fuck all these tabs are. Here's my female ninja:

yEz1bOk.jpg

Couldn't hide the band for some reason. I'm not 100% sold on how bright I made the lipstick. love the eyeliner though.

Second impression will come tomorrow when I get a few more proper hours in. So far it is likely I'll buy the game but at this point IDK how many hours I'll put into it. It might be one of those things when I'm in a mood to combo smash hordes of enemies. I doubt I'll ever devote time for end-game.

#20 Noir

Noir

Megabyte

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

yEz1bOk.jpg

Are the boobs always that large? Can.... I make them smaller? (I feel that's offensive to 15 year old Adam, I'm sorry.)

Also I have 2 more guest passes so if youre interested ill give you one to use.

That sounds great. But right now, I might hold off. Between work and university, I might not have the time to get into a new MMORPG. Especially since I'm still paying for WoW. 

8Kd33GJ.gif

'Cause I know, 
I'll kill my enemies,
When they come.