28 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

Also, I was gonna make a thread for this, but, eh.

If I wanted to normalize volume on a ton of mp3s, what would be the best way to do it in a batch?

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#22 CrazyRabbitParty

CrazyRabbitParty

Byte

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Locationsitting on a blade of grass floating in iced tea

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:18 AM

I've never heard of ATF Cleaner, honestly. 

Well here's a picture of it anyway.

ATF-Cleaner-1.png

I've used it for years now on a few computers. I haven't had any problems with it and it's completely free as far as I can tell. As I said, a family member gave me the program. Looks kind of dodgy with the comic sans font but it does the job.

I hope you're having a nice day. :)

#23 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Also, I was gonna make a thread for this, but, eh.

If I wanted to normalize volume on a ton of mp3s, what would be the best way to do it in a batch?

Audacity can do batch work. http://manual.audaci...automation.html

Well here's a picture of it anyway.

ATF-Cleaner-1.png

I've used it for years now on a few computers. I haven't had any problems with it and it's completely free as far as I can tell. As I said, a family member gave me the program. Looks kind of dodgy with the comic sans font but it does the job.

Ah, nifty. I've always just done that stuff on my own when stuff doesn't work right. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#24 CrazyRabbitParty

CrazyRabbitParty

Byte

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Locationsitting on a blade of grass floating in iced tea

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Ah, nifty. I've always just done that stuff on my own when stuff doesn't work right. 

I use it every time I shut down the computer just to make sure everything is cleaned out. It usually deletes megabytes worth of data each time, sometimes just kilobytes but not often. Computer gets clogged quickly.

I hope you're having a nice day. :)

#25 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

I use it every time I shut down the computer just to make sure everything is cleaned out. It usually deletes megabytes worth of data each time, sometimes just kilobytes but not often. Computer gets clogged quickly.

My suspicion is that unless you are disabling caching, the reason you're deleting megabytes everytime is because the browser is rebuilding the cache every time. Methinks you're functionally doing this: 

Caches expire as well, in general unless your storage is incredibly restricted or you're experiencing an error of some sort, the browser cache doesn't expand to fill every available space. If you are planning on dumping the cache basically between every use, may I suggest simply disabling the cache?

For folks who might be using Linux, let me suggest a few utils that are really worth having.

Albert is a launcher that behaves a lot like Spotlight/Finder with the popup, quicksearch of certain directories.

Guake is a terminal emulator that behaves like the console in a lot of video games, it pops down from the top of the screen and can be hidden and shown at will. I like it because it's able to maintain a session and pop in and out of focus. When doing config changes or development that ties into our test server I often SSH into the server on guake so I can change stuff locally, push it and then just pop guake back up to see what the effect was.

Terminator is a terminal emulator that can sub-divide and run multiple sessions in a window, side by side or in a number of configurations, I use this for standard terminal work in lieu of whatever comes with my distro.

Atom is a fairly robust editor/lightweight IDE. I use it for opening arbitrary code files for which I don't maintain a full IDE install. If I need to open a C# file or an Objective-C file I can use Atom to get basic syntax highlighting etc without going to great lengths. 

I suggest getting the GIMP and learning at least a little about it. I'm no designer and the crap I made when I was 15 and thought I could do wonders was awful, but I can cut things out, crop, save to another format and the like. It's worth having around.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#26 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Been using GIMP as of late, specially since I haven't found a suitable crack for the Adobe suites. 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#27 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Fun fact: I'm getting good at audio manipulation.

and goddamn I wish I had photoshop. That magic wand tool is just the best.

#28 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

All Open Source:

Windows BInaries:

FFMPEG

Blender

Meshlab

Gimp

Inkscape

VisualSFM

Audacity

VLC

Putty

WinSCP

For Developers (Windows Binaries Available):

Cygwin, Qt Framework & Creator, Cmake, Git Bash, Python w/ Pip & Conan (Python orchestrated C++ Deps Mgmt), Netbeans (Java Framework & IDE) Linux Stuff:

For *nix System and Network Admins and Experts:

gparted

gnuradio

zenmap

apache directory studio

grafana (web app)

elasticsearch

apache nifi

apache httpd (LAMP/WAMP)

I'm just going to stop because I could go on for a while.  I <3 the Open Source Community and can recognize hundreds of packages from CentOS and Debian distros.

#29 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Bless VLC.