76 replies to this topic

#1 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Twelve people died in France because some of comics they drew.

This is incredibly screwed up.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#2 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

The pussies defending the assholes who murdered them is far more fucked up.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#3 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Is that happening? Wow.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#4 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

That sounds pretty crazy

Ginger, is the spice of life

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Very tragic indeed.

It speaks volumes about a faith when some French satirists making some cheesy cartoons can be taken as such a threat.

Their beliefs are so shallow that their ankles aren't even wet with it.

Their actions have made a mockery of their rationale and reasoning more effectively than any public backlash ever could.

Though I do not think it wise to fuck with France.

A country that has a history of conflict that made every other country nervous for the last few hundred years.

The French invented the guillotine and considered it a gentler way to execute the people who pissed them off for fuck sake.

I have a feeling that the French people are going to rise up and dismantle all of the terror that those zealots intended to inflict by simply refusing to let this incident change them in any way.

By the by, when I say faith I mean the specifically personal faith of the men who committed the atrocity, not the religion that they claim as their own.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

As I said, the real problem is the pussies defending the assholes who did it.

It's a massive problem when tyrannical regimes or terrorist organizations do things.  There's this small group of people who empathize with the terrible assholes over the people they attack.  For some reason.

I blame Noam Chomsky.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#7 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

I think the sad part is that now all the anti muslim people in europe (all over the world) feel that they are right in their belives and thus they try to increase the animosity against muslims in general. This attack should be condemmed regardless of the "faith" of these men but because they did something horrible.

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

I'm sure we'll see even more islamophobia in France now because of this. Punish the majority for the mistakes of a few and all that. Apparently a lot of those comics killed pushed their drawing beyond satire to outright misogyny and racism. With all that sad, this zealotry as a direct attack on free speech and democracy is unacceptable and I hope the culprits are caught alive.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

I think the sad part is that now all the anti muslim people in europe (all over the world) feel that they are right in their belives and thus they try to increase the animosity against muslims in general. This attack should be condemmed regardless of the "faith" of these men but because they did something horrible.

Of course. And in a way, it's justified. If somebody commits an atrocity and outright claims it is for their religion, you are going to have your opinion of that religion coloured. Islamic terrorism is a pretty big thing lately, and when you take into account what some of the leading moderate Muslim preachers have said (I forget who, but a British preacher claimed that everything is mandated by Allah; nothing is by accident, nothing is free will. All life is laid out by Allah) So, it's kind of understandable for people to be wary, when the people in power of the religion aren't outright condemning these actions.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#10 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Why the fuck would they, or any moderate Muslim? If an American punched you in the face, would you expect an apology from all Americans?

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#11 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

It happend roughly ten minutes from the place I study at.

I barely even feel concerned about France most of the time, but these events were dramatic.

There has been this heavy and surreal atmosphere all the week long. 

Three terrorists who were involved in the killing got neutralized and killed a hour ago.

One of them is still on the run, a woman, according to the police. 

One of my friends was stuck in his house all the afternoon, since he lives where shootings took place, followed by hostages being held in a store. 

He already had a hard time handling all this shit, so that kinda sucks. It's a relief that all this shit is now over. It's been a stressing week. 

shit shit shit. 

userbar.gif

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

I'm sure we'll see even more islamophobia in France now because of this. Punish the majority for the mistakes of a few and all that. Apparently a lot of those comics killed pushed their drawing beyond satire to outright misogyny and racism. With all that sad, this zealotry as a direct attack on free speech and democracy is unacceptable and I hope the culprits are caught alive.

The people killed were definitely pushing the envelope a bit further than satire, which I don't see the point of doing.

The stuff they put out wasn't even that clever or witty, just cheap and slanderous.

Not that that justifies murders, but they weren't exactly contributing anything productive and got killed for it.

They died for creating works that really had no purpose other than to stir shit up, and that makes the whole thing even more sad.

Why the fuck would they, or any moderate Muslim? If an American punched you in the face, would you expect an apology from all Americans?

That is sort of a different ball game.

A religion or belief system is easier to lump in to one big ball than a geographical location.

Most of the larger, more in your face religions world wide tend to get a lot of heat because of specific douche bags within their system.

That is completely unjustified, but honestly not all that surprising given that humans are hard wired to segregate and judge on a very basic synaptic level.

Luckily the act of higher thinking is on a massive upswing, despite the opposite appearance, and I expect at least as much defense of the non-psychotic Muslims as aggression wrought by the ignorant.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

Nope. But if there were semi-regular attacks all around the planet, and the reason given was "We're American, bow before us!" I'd expect some of the upstanding ones to be like "actually no that's not us, those guys are just fucking nuts"

LL1Yc5i.gif

#14 midnightblue

midnightblue

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

There have been statements made my moderate muslim groups condemning the attacks.

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Good, then.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#16 Benihime

Benihime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDee. Eff. Dub.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Very tragic indeed.
It speaks volumes about a faith when some French satirists making some cheesy cartoons can be taken as such a threat.
Their beliefs are so shallow that their ankles aren't even wet with it.
Their actions have made a mockery of their rationale and reasoning more effectively than any public backlash ever could.
Though I do not think it wise to fuck with France.
A country that has a history of conflict that made every other country nervous for the last few hundred years.
The French invented the guillotine and considered it a gentler way to execute the people who pissed them off for fuck sake.
I have a feeling that the French people are going to rise up and dismantle all of the terror that those zealots intended to inflict by simply refusing to let this incident change them in any way.

By the by, when I say faith I mean the specifically personal faith of the men who committed the atrocity, not the religion that they claim as their own.

The problem is the faith itself.
Their Koran teaches them to perform a plethora of what we see as acts of barbarity.
And then they cry that they are so misunderstood and that they are victims and are being oppressed.
Even as a Christian, I cannot seem to drum up any "give a fuck" for these turds.
image-54.jpg

#17 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

The problem is the faith itself.
Their Koran teaches them to perform a plethora of what we see as acts of barbarity.
And then they cry that they are so misunderstood and that they are victims and are being oppressed.
Even as a Christian, I cannot seem to drum up any "give a fuck" for these turds.

The Christian Bible is in exactly the same boat as the Quran as far as content goes.

They share a lot of common stories, themes and people, but recognise different prophets as the son of God.

They both have words of immense wisdom and peace, and contain some of the most fucked up barbaric shit you could imagine.

When the Westboro Baptist Church pulls one of their parades of jackassery and makes the whole religion look like a shit sandwich, every not-batshit insane Christian steps up and apolgises for Westboro's ignorance and begs the rest of the world to not judge all Christians by the actions of one group that sports their same religion.

A system of faith is never the problem.

What people choose to do with that faith is what can cause problems, or it can be a huge benefit.

Basically, people are often a bunch of bastards who just need a half decent excuse to be pissed off over nothing and do something stupid.

Which has nothing to do with which Big Book of God they prefer.

#18 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Well, religion is a choice, your nationality of birth is not.

See, being Jewish is a choice.  Being Israeli isn't.  See the difference?

The people killed were definitely pushing the envelope a bit further than satire, which I don't see the point of doing.

The stuff they put out wasn't even that clever or witty, just cheap and slanderous.

Not that that justifies murders, but they weren't exactly contributing anything productive and got killed for it.

They died for creating works that really had no purpose other than to stir shit up, and that makes the whole thing even more sad.

BULL-FUCKING-SHIT.

They ran a for-profit satirical magazine.  Which had the balls to make fun of everybody.  Which is what The Onion does, to a degree.

"Not doing anything important" is your opinion.  Who the fuck says what somebody does for a living should be "important" by your nebulous standards?

How dare you, honestly.

Everyone has a right not to be murdered, but nobody has the right not to be offended.

#19 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

BULL-FUCKING-SHIT.

They ran a for-profit satirical magazine.  Which had the balls to make fun of everybody.  Which is what The Onion does, to a degree.

"Not doing anything important" is your opinion.  Who the fuck says what somebody does for a living should be "important" by your nebulous standards?

How dare you, honestly.

Everyone has a right not to be murdered, but nobody has the right not to be offended.

I don't see where I said that what they did for a living wasn't important.

I said it wasn't productive due to its fairly low brow level of satire.

Yes, that is my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree with it.

However, you need to read and understand what people say before you have a little flip out and take such offense, especially when you misquote, speak aggressively, and use double negatives.

There is no need for things to become petty and angry.

#20 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

I don't see where I said that what they did for a living wasn't important.

I said it wasn't productive due to its fairly low brow level of satire.

Yes, that is my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree with it.

However, you need to read and understand what people say before you have a little flip out and take such offense, especially when you misquote, speak aggressively, and use double negatives.

There is no need for things to become petty and angry.

It's the principle of the thing.  Defending freedom of speech means defending even the worst speech. Because if it becomes OK to censor the worst speech, all speech is open to it.

If more publications had the balls to do what they did knowing the potential (and now realized) risk, it would break the fever of the insane assholes who think it's OK to kill people for offending them.

It is only low brow in your opinion.  You don't have to agree with their tastes to understand that it doesn't matter what their tastes are.  Their tastes were used as justification by maniacs to kill them.