Photo

The Interview, pulled because... I DON'T KNOW!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

BREAKING NEWS!

The Interview will be released on Crackle for free.  Expect the site to get hacked before I finish writing this sentence.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#22 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Saving innocent people from even the remotest threat of being blown the fuck up is not ridiculous. What's ridiculous is that there is a group that is so obsessed with the film in the first place.

Honestly, I think it is. We're bowing to an outside power and giving up freedoms over fear.

What if they threatened to blow up a newspaper factory if anyone reported them in bad light?

What if the taliban threatened to blow up any school that had women attending it?

Where's the line between protecting people and accepting terrorism? 

Freedom, especially of the press, will always come with risks and threats as long as there's someone that disagrees with you. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#23 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

When the CIA/FBI can find out exactly who is behind these threats then appropriate action could be taken to nullify them. Until then it doesn't hurt to put the film on hold I think. It's not like it never has to be aired, imo.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#24 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

But we're still letting idle threats from a country that has one of the most inept militaries in the world influence us. If they had a gun to someone's head, sure, wait on the movie. A threat? No.

Would you feel the same if the threat was against education, safe food, or the ability to practice religion?  

Would you give up freedom of speech for safety? 

China did. North Korea did. So did Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Cuba, Sudan and Ethiopia. 

I'm not saying that a movie getting pulled is as dire as the situations in these countries, but it sure is a good example of where trading freedom for safety can lead. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#25 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Who was it that said that he who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither?

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#26 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Also, I find my signature incredibly relevant.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#27 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

Ben Franklin. 

Also, it really is. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#28 Launch

Launch

Byte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm probably talking about things I know nothing about again, but on the theater's side, couldn't they get sued? Since they knew about the threats, but showed the film anyway and something happened, could they be held liable? I was just wondering about that. 

mowing_zpsee914621.gif

#29 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm probably talking about things I know nothing about again, but on the theater's side, couldn't they get sued? Since they knew about the threats, but showed the film anyway and something happened, could they be held liable? I was just wondering about that. 

Someone might have tried, but it probably wouldn't get anywhere.

There were still plenty of theaters willing to show it anyways. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#30 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Normally I'm a filthy liberal, to such an extent a lot of people don't like me for my opinions. So normally I'd be fully on board them showing this film and saying fuck the consequences. In this instance though, I think Sony has done the right thing, at least temporarily. Besides it's self censorship, it's not like the government had a hand it it. Censoring your own creative works is something that we as people have done for centuries.

#31 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

https://news.yahoo.c...-200418060.html

I think Obama's fighting back

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#32 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Normally I'm a filthy liberal, to such an extent a lot of people don't like me for my opinions. So normally I'd be fully on board them showing this film and saying fuck the consequences. In this instance though, I think Sony has done the right thing, at least temporarily. Besides it's self censorship, it's not like the government had a hand it it. Censoring your own creative works is something that we as people have done for centuries.

I just really feel like it's a step in the wrong direction.

https://news.yahoo.c...-200418060.html

I think Obama's fighting back

That's a "It would be bad form to publicly announce we did this, but we totally did." 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#33 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

Man, I read that thinking the wrong way I think. If "liberal" in the American sense is being used here, censorship is adored by the left right now.  But let me stop myself from going any further.

On the North Korea Internet outages:  Shutting down the Internet of a country with about only a thousand individual Internet connections is not even close to proportional and doesn't help anybody.

Also, Obama is asking oh so nicely for North Korea to pay Sony damages.

God, our foreign policy is being run by incompetent boobs.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#34 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Man, I read that thinking the wrong way I think. If "liberal" in the American sense is being used here, censorship is adored by the left right now.  But let me stop myself from going any further.

On the North Korea Internet outages:  Shutting down the Internet of a country with about only a thousand individual Internet connections is not even close to proportional and doesn't help anybody.

I think it's more of a "remember what we can do to you."

Kinda like when we flew SR-71's over communist speeches. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#35 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

American Liberalism =/= European Liberalism, this is something I learnt a while ago after confused debates with people over the pond where we weren't even on the same page with what we were arguing about.

To be honest, it'd be nice to see some actual transparent proof that the DPRK is to blame here. I'm not fond of going off of "just believe us, they did it," for anything, especially if it's coming from an oligarchic government. That talk smacks of the kind of "faith" bull shit I'm so wary of.

#36 Launch

Launch

Byte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Now Sony's announced that there will be a limited theatrical release of The Interview on Christmas day.

mowing_zpsee914621.gif

#37 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

I'm beginning to think it was a publicity stunt.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#38 Launch

Launch

Byte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

enhanced-buzz-17889-1365786077-4.jpg

mowing_zpsee914621.gif

#39 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

That photo just won the Internet.  Somebody at Mars, make that commercial a reality.

#40 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

They nailed this shit harder than I think anything has ever been nailed before.*

The culture of North Korea, based on all we do know.  They nailed it perfectly.

And Randall Park is amazing as Kim Jong-Un.  Nuanced and awesome.

Highly recommend.

*Das ist was sie sagte.