#41 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

Do you want me to give you a step by step tutorial?  :huh:

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#42 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Do you want me to give you a step by step tutorial?  :huh:

We seem to misunderstand what we're talking about.

I'm talking about getting rich and famous.  You're talking about sexual relationships, I think.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#43 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:04 AM

We seem to misunderstand what we're talking about.

I'm talking about getting rich and famous.  You're talking about sexual relationships, I think.

No I understand you just fine.. I just don't know what you're whining about. If you want to be rich and famous.. go and do it.

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#44 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Pretty much this ^ make excuses and get nowhere or be fucking proactive and adapt. Companies will not go out of their way too look for people to hire, it is a luxury of being an employer that people come to them. I started in the building industry as a labourer earning half minimum wage working from 7-5. Now I'm a quantity surveyor with my own team bidding on projects valued in excess of £45,000,000. All without a degree. My advice is: don't think you're better than any job. Working your way up is a legitimate and respectable method of gaining affluence.

In Regards to rings, when the inevitable happens and I get a ring sometime, I'm fortunate in that I live very close to Hatton Square, the diamond centre of England and one of the main diamond areas in Europe. Very easy to get a beautiful solitaire below market price. :)

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#45 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

Pretty much this ^ make excuses and get nowhere or be fucking proactive and adapt. Companies will not go out of their way too look for people to hire, it is a luxury of being an employer that people come to them. I started in the building industry as a labourer earning half minimum wage working from 7-5. Now I'm a quantity surveyor with my own team bidding on projects valued in excess of £45,000,000. All without a degree. My advice is: don't think you're better than any job. Working your way up is a legitimate and respectable method of gaining affluence.

In Regards to rings, when the inevitable happens and I get a ring sometime, I'm fortunate in that I live very close to Hatton Square, the diamond centre of England and one of the main diamond areas in Europe. Very easy to get a beautiful solitaire below market price. :)

I have a college degree.  In America, you can't get the work you're talking about without a degree without working for a good decade in the shit.  Finding an entry-level job that requires a college degree in America tends to require connections or having graduated from an Ivy League university or a household name one.  Doesn't matter what you know.  All they see is the resume, which, if they ever even look at it, will spend an average of six seconds looking at before they decide to hire you (if they don't run resumes through a program designed to look out for special keywords like "Harvard.")

I lost my first job out of college when the company imploded less than a year into it.  Most employers see that on my resume and assume I was fired.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#46 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

A lot about getting a great job in Aus are the connections you have. While studying I also have 2 jobs. One was advertised in the paper which I applied for in person. The other was also in the paper but I knew one of the managers, who sat in on my interview and was a good help at me getting the job.

The entire educational system is different here than US, but still comparable. You either, finish grade 10 or 11 then start trade school and become a chef, or electrician, boilermaker, bricklayer etc etc - or you finish yr 12 then go to uni and do a degree then get a job, or remain at uni for honours and phD before leaving - or you  finish grade 10/11/12 and join the military. Those are basically your options, if you want to 'succeed'.

I finished grade 12, got some (or half of) trade qualifications, the journalism diploma, a networking diploma, Cisco certification, now I'm at uni for an undergrad degree. Pretty much all because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do.

At least I'm versatile =)

All they see is the resume, which, if they ever even look at it, will spend an average of six seconds looking at

Same here.

08a3135221d201e16e67c55a94880e7fbc16ae27

#47 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

Great things inife aren't easy

Ginger, is the spice of life

#48 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

I have a question.. What's the difference between a college and a university?

#49 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

Here college tends to be for 16-18 year olds and is more geared up for preparing people for trades or non-academic studies. Uni is just uni haha.

#50 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

Okay.. So it's like what we call an apprenticeship here I guess.. Where you get a diploma at the end..

#51 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

I have a college degree.  In America, you can't get the work you're talking about without a degree without working for a good decade in the shit.  Finding an entry-level job that requires a college degree in America tends to require connections or having graduated from an Ivy League university or a household name one.  Doesn't matter what you know.  All they see is the resume, which, if they ever even look at it, will spend an average of six seconds looking at before they decide to hire you (if they don't run resumes through a program designed to look out for special keywords like "Harvard.")

I lost my first job out of college when the company imploded less than a year into it.  Most employers see that on my resume and assume I was fired.

Look at me, in a field I don't have a degree in, employed solely because of my hard work and skill.

Sure, a degree makes things easier, but if you're willing to put out the work, you can still get a job without one. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#52 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

Okay.. So it's like what we call an apprenticeship here I guess.. Where you get a diploma at the end..

Kinda, you can do an apprenticeship with or without here. 

Look at me, in a field I don't have a degree in, employed solely because of my hard work and skill.

Sure, a degree makes things easier, but if you're willing to put out the work, you can still get a job without one. 

My girlfriend just secured a remote job as a PC repair help-desk type person with no provable experience in technology repair and a pretty lousy high school GPA.  The only other jobs she's had equates to a year in retail for Walmart and Dollar General. There's no fucking excuse if you have the get-up-and-go to do stuff if you're aged 18-28.

#53 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

Here (us) we call trade school a trade school haha then you move to apprentice. College and uni (university) are the same.. Then there is community college which is just a smaller less expensive two year college. Most go to community college either to get there GPA higher for a uni, or they only need an associates degree.

#54 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

America is built on the backs of hard workers.. There is no try, there is only do. No giving up, keep pushing.. Meet people, make your name a wanted name! You can do it!!!

#55 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Try showing hard work and skill on a resume for a position that received 300 applications.

It's a fool's game trying to win in that system.

There's a reason I recently wrote an industry policy paper.  See if that helps with various connections a professor who used to work in the industry was willing to hand me.

Connections get you the job in white collar fields.  Blue collar fields are fairly easy to demonstrate hard work and skill, as there are certifications and licenses and whatnot in those fields.  Only the white collar sales fields (which are a joke as only about 2% of the people who enter them are in them profitably long-term) have licensing, and those jobs are beyond terrible.

The last two or so years have been instructive.  I've taken some of the worst jobs available because they were all that was available.

Hell, a lot of office jobs will refuse to let me even interview even though I'm a known good catch by several recruiters because I live more than an hour away from the employer.

(In short, my surrounding area is not growing in the white collar job market, but places about 30-50 miles are.)

Doesn't matter if I'm willing to make the commute or relocate.  They don't even want to hear that.

#56 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

That's why you do smaller gigs to get attention, you can't start at the top, you have to work your way up.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#57 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

That's why you do smaller gigs to get attention, you can't start at the top, you have to work your way up.

Yeah, no. I want an office job, as in one that uses the knowledge I spent four years learning.  But no one willing to consider me will let me interview because I live too far away.

I'm in with a bunch of recruiting companies.  There's just no company within 30-50 miles who will let me interview no matter how good I am.  A bunch of recruiters have told me this constantly:  You're a candidate we recommended for an interview but our client (the employer) said you just live too far away to be interviewed.

Doesn't matter that I'd drive 3 hours in both directions for a good job.  Just doesn't matter that I'd relocate if I got the job.  They just don't care.

#58 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, no. I want an office job, as in one that uses the knowledge I spent four years learning. 

I wanted a job as a writer after spending two years studying English language and did countless pieces of SEO content, journalism, short story writing and even smutfic under an alias.

I became a QS.

What you want to do and what you end up doing are very rarely the same thing.

#59 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

I wanted a job as a writer after spending two years studying English language and did countless pieces of SEO content, journalism, short story writing and even smutfic under an alias.

I became a QS.

What you want to do and what you end up doing are very rarely the same thing.

I got a business degree from a top-tier non-Ivy League business college.  And you don't live in America, so your advice will be based on experience that may not translate well to where I live.  America just works differently.

I have a question.. What's the difference between a college and a university?

A college is an independent thing or a school of a specific study within a larger university.

Penn State University, as an example, is a massive university.  Within it is an honor college for the best of the best Penn State applicants, which they have to state they're applying for in their first application.

I went to one of the top business colleges in the state of PA and in the top 30 nationally.  It is itself within a larger university.

#60 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

So I kept seeing new posts show up in this thread and thought to myself "Gee, Disney princess engagement rings must be a hot topic right now.".

Yet when I pop in to see what all the talk is about, all I see is William Styles informing everyone of how he is a special gem in a world of darkness.

It is easy to sit there and gripe about how shitty everything is and how unfair the job market can be.

I went to one of the best colleges in Canada for cabinetmaking and ended up working for about eight months in the field in a shop that was never going to bump my pay over $12/hour, even though my certifications required them by law to pay me a much higher wage. When that didn't work out, I slugged my way through life working in a kitchen and night cleaning for a good long while until my family started a business, which is what I am currently doing.

You think I didn't have a few days where I took a step back and got angry at how I was a grown ass man flipping burgers and scrubbing toilets instead of doing the job I went to school for, paid for out of pocket. There were more than a few.

I have met people like you before.

People who put themselves on a pedestal up above everyone else and refuse to take a step backward in order to build a foundation for them self.

Not willing to do what needs to be done to survive on their own because it would mean stepping down from the high point they think they deserve to stand, regardless of situation.

Maybe you should take a look around and see that there are countless people in exactly the same situation that you find yourself in.

You are special little flower in a sea of special little flowers.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.