82 replies to this topic

#21 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

Depending on how big you want the stones, and the ring's metal (Stirling silver, platinum, white/yellow/rose gold etc) you're looking at quite an expensive piece of jewelry, 

Not if I go the lab-made route.  Lab-made stones are really cheap in comparison, especially Sapphire.

You think I'm spending my money on blood diamonds?

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#22 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

Depending on how big you want the stones, and the ring's metal (Stirling silver, platinum, white/yellow/rose gold etc) you're looking at quite an expensive piece of jewelry, with all those stones. Ruby is very expensive, followed by emerald. Sapphire depends on the colour, blue sapphire is generally most expensive, but you can substitute that with Blue Topaz (saving a few G) and hope she doesn't notice.

I'm pretty good when it comes to buying my partner jewelry. I've done the research on engagement, anniversary jewelry etc etc so relatively prepared (I hope).

This morning I checked out the store for these rings and picked one I'd buy if I were to actually get one, tweaked it a little. It's over US$9,000 cheaper with a Topaz center stone than Sapphire .. 0_0

My darling Cinderella, will you be my bride.

cushion-blue-topaz-14k-white-gold-ring-w

Yeah, engagement rings can be insanely expensive.

I have the following problem.. I really don't like to wear rings...

Get a necklace instead? 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#23 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

og9fdF4.jpg
This was mine. I loved it. It is a diamond.. Fae.. You'll probablh love your ring.. Properly sized, you can't even feel them. I don't wear jewelry.. But my ring rarely came off. I'd be open to any stone.. But to "cut pricey" forgive me for going brat, but I don't see why saving for it is not an option. Engagement rings are to show an ability to take care of the other partner. Plus the shear investment would be very worth wild.. I want real, and that's what I expect.. Not lab created, and not a lesser color. Haha

Ginger, is the spice of life

#24 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

That may be true.. but rings just feel weird on my fingers..

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#25 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

That may be true.. but rings just feel weird on my fingers..

Then don't ask for a large stone then, unless you plan to cut fools (or windows...)

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#26 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yeah you know it's not like i have anyone to buy me a ring.. so it's not something I think about a lot... ^^

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#27 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Yeah you know it's not like i have anyone to buy me a ring.. so it's not something I think about a lot... ^^

Life can be tough.  I wish I had more money in the bank and a good job to keep the cash flow going.  I don't, not right now.  My generation is getting double fist-slammed right up the ass right now.

#28 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Life can be tough.  I wish I had more money in the bank and a good job to keep the cash flow going.  I don't, not right now.  My generation is getting double fist-slammed right up the ass right now.

honestly I don't mind most of the time.. there are still plenty of good things going on..

#29 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

honestly I don't mind most of the time.. there are still plenty of good things going on..

Yeah, but I want more.  Ya know?

#30 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, but I want more.  Ya know?

yeah I can understand that. There are things I want too.. but I'm getting there. some things you can't rush

#31 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

yeah I can understand that. There are things I want too.. but I'm getting there. some things you can't rush

I'm a writer.  I know about that.  I need my shot to prove I'm amazing.  If I never do, I'll never make it as a writer.

#32 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

My girl likes the Cinderella ring but would prefer something more 'traditional', a diamond and sapphire 3-stone. *facepalm*

Nothing is really in our favour, it's only going to get worse.

The Australian government tried to put interest rates on uni fees, so that we'll be in debt for the rest of our lives (not including house or car debts), just so they could try to make back some money that the government spent willy-nilly in the first place. Plus, the retirement age will reach 67 in 2023, so by the time we're that age, it'll be 75 or something ridiculous. (In Aus) So no superannuation till just before or after I'm dead.

I'm a writer.  I know about that.  I need my shot to prove I'm amazing.  If I never do, I'll never make it as a writer.

I used to write and got a freelance journalism diploma, buuuut then I got bored and did other things.

Good luck!  

#33 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

so what do you need to get a shot to prove yourself?

#34 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

My girl likes the Cinderella ring but would prefer something more 'traditional', a diamond and sapphire 3-stone. *facepalm*

Nothing is really in our favour, it's only going to get worse.

The Australian government tried to put interest rates on uni fees, so that we'll be in debt for the rest of our lives (not including house or car debts), just so they could try to make back some money that the government spent willy-nilly in the first place. Plus, the retirement age will reach 67 in 2023, so by the time we're that age, it'll be 75 or something ridiculous. (In Aus) So no superannuation till just before or after I'm dead.

I used to write and got a freelance journalism diploma, buuuut then I got bored and did other things.

Good luck!  

Yeah, the government coddled the Baby Boomers.  Our generation won't be so lucky.  I made my peace with that a long time ago.  Anybody with any understanding of "NPV of unfunded liabilities" knows this.

#35 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

I was most interested in writing about and shooting music events. I started-out attending gigs and hanging out with bands (who became friends and still are) and eventually got to a point where local event organisers knew me. I was able to take my camera to a gig and get in free, shoot the bands and get tipsy at the same time (or after). Figured I'd then study and learn how to write most effectively, and hopefully sell some articles to local publications. I got more photos published than articles, because I never totally followed up on the writing more than completing assignments.

So if that interests you then it's one way to go. You've just gotta get your name out there.

If you're interested in getting qualified just check out the colleges, art schools, or other institutions near you and they might have something. I did mine through an online school, so it was correspondence based. I got a media pass and accreditation with the Australia-news-&-feature-services so I could get into and write about non-local events, gigs etc easily. That was my aim all along.

Contact local publications and find out what you wanna know, or research into what you can do in your country. And most importantly keep writing, find your style, write about what interests you. 

#36 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

The ear of someone with the power to give me a shot.

Because I know few people either with that power or willing to give me their ear.

#37 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

I was most interested in writing about and shooting music events. I started-out attending gigs and hanging out with bands (who became friends and still are) and eventually got to a point where local event organisers knew me. I was able to take my camera to a gig and get in free, shoot the bands and get tipsy at the same time (or after). Figured I'd then study and learn how to write most effectively, and hopefully sell some articles to local publications. I got more photos published than articles, because I never totally followed up on the writing more than completing assignments.

So if that interests you then it's one way to go. You've just gotta get your name out there.

If you're interested in getting qualified just check out the colleges, art schools, or other institutions near you and they might have something. I did mine through an online school, so it was correspondence based. I got a media pass and accreditation with the Australia-news-&-feature-services so I could get into and write about non-local events, gigs etc easily. That was my aim all along.

Contact local publications and find out what you wanna know, or research into what you can do in your country. And most importantly keep writing, find your style, write about what interests you. 

Sounds like you have a plan... but I was actually asking Big_Willie_Styles since he said he needed a shot to prove that he's amazing.. I'm more into science and I will get my shot no worries ;)

The ear of someone with the power to give me a shot.

Because I know few people either with that power or willing to give me their ear.

good for you ;) then go for it

#38 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Sounds like you have a plan... but I was actually asking Big_Willie_Styles since he said he needed a shot to prove that he's amazing.. I'm more into science and I will get my shot no worries ;)

good for you ;) then go for it

You misunderstand.  I need the ear of someone with the power to give me a shot.  I just don't have those kinds of connections.  I will eventually, but not right now.

#39 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

You misunderstand.  I need the ear of someone with the power to give me a shot.  I just don't have those kinds of connections.  I will eventually, but not right now.

ok..

i can still say got for it

#40 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

ok..

i can still say got for it

With who and with what money?

(Those are the answers I do not have.)