Photo

Reservation system in 4 days (about 18 hours)

PHP website

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

samtobia.com/reservation

This is a system i made in about 4 days

Uses a custom xml Database that I created a Binary Search for
Was pretty happy about that :)
I'm probably going to rework it a bit and put all the php inside the actual database folder so It would be a simple include function to get all the functions and etc (much like java's import)

Also Plan to rework the database so that I can neatly pack away massive data as well as a SQL to XML conversion tool

I like XML more because...
1) it makes a hell of a lot more sense visually than SQL
-Nested information within information just makes sense to me. Attributes make sense to me. A giant table does not
2) Due to the fact it shares schema with HTML, I'll eventually find a use for DomDocument there also I'm sure
-Like making themes actually a complete HTML document with nothing in it (unlike wordpress <.<) and just inputting the appropiate data on the fly

Oracle also created a XML database framework that could go through hundreds of nodes very very quickly.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the name of it is
But I saw it in a "birds of a feather" at Web 2.0 expo in think back in 2010

But for the most part this is meant to be touch screen and have a login system
So I still need to rework some of the kinks like Eliminating the use for a keyboard and making sure an admin can create simple users

Likewise the admin will be the only one who can create and remove tables
Need to be able to catagorize and place tables into size and locations

However, the Bones are done, just need to put in the meat :)

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

The bones are the most important part of any good code, and it looks like that is pretty solid. I can see how it would be very efficient on a touch screen phone or tablet once it's polished, and i think you could make some profit off this code, or other very similar ones from new companies.

I believe the framework you are talking about may be part of the Berkeley Database project, not entirely sure though. Here's the website if you want to look though it. http://www.oracle.co...view/index.html

XML seems very friendly, and though I don't know how well it works on very large scales vs SQL, I'd like to see it used more often.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

The bones are the most important part of any good code, and it looks like that is pretty solid. I can see how it would be very efficient on a touch screen phone or tablet once it's polished, and i think you could make some profit off this code, or other very similar ones from new companies.

I believe the framework you are talking about may be part of the Berkeley Database project, not entirely sure though. Here's the website if you want to look though it. http://www.oracle.co...view/index.html

XML seems very friendly, and though I don't know how well it works on very large scales vs SQL, I'd like to see it used more often.

This might be it, Java is all kinds of fucked up on my mahcine right now though

At the bar I work at, theres some guy that was looking for this sort of thing, so I decided I basically would make a very quick example of it just to have "proof of concept"

generally XML isn't great for database storage, expecially since it takes up extra space with allof the "<"s and ">"s and "="s and attributes and etc
But I believe when a server is 50gb+, I'm not too concerned about storage

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hopefully it is. :)

Have you shown him yet? If so what was his response?

Stuff like that can really add up on the larger databases, but I think it'd be great for smaller stuff.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hopefully it is. :)

Have you shown him yet? If so what was his response?

Stuff like that can really add up on the larger databases, but I think it'd be great for smaller stuff.

He said he's going to text me this week
If he doesn't I'll text him

Regardless he seems serious/excited and I'm pretty excited though a bit intimidated
I'll probably ask for help from digitalpoint or vworker if necessary

But yeah, it seems to be looking up if I can just make it happen :)

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Awesome, it's always good when you have serious interest in something.

It seems like a pretty solid code, so I don't think you'll need much help with it. Good luck. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

My 2 cents:

XML is much, much slower than SQL. SQL is made for databases, XML is an import-export language, it's not to be used for live data queries. That's like writing your essays out on sticky notes because you think it looks cooler.

You don't need to put it in the same folder as your database engine to use includes, includes can accept full filesystem trees for the input.

Also this:

generally XML isn't great for database storage, expecially since it takes up extra space with allof the "<"s and ">"s and "="s and attributes and etc
But I believe when a server is 50gb+, I'm not too concerned about storage

is very, very wrong. You always want to be concerned about storage. Not only are you adding several extra kilobytes of bloat per entry, but because that has to be processed by your parser, you're making your program slower and more processor/memory intensive.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#8 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

SQL is a lot faster and a lot safer...
Consider the following: Where I work we have to store a shit ton of data, some of our queries return 300k+ rows with 12+ columns, it takes ~15 seconds depending on what time of day you run it (a lot of background operations). Trying to parse through an XML file that size? I don't even want to know... :/

What would prevent anyone from manually looking at the XML file? Are there any security settings? How do you handle greater than or less than signs within the data?

Smart backups?

Lazy loader AJAX?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHP, website