71 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

Probably Skyrim on Steam. But it doesn't even come close to the 300+ hours I've apparently spent on Animal Crossing: New Leaf -.-

My mom transferred some bells to my father last night so he could buy her the moon.

I love being here for these conversations.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#22 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

You misspelled addict :P

Haha, I think you're right on this one. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#23 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

My mom transferred some bells to my father last night so he could buy her the moon.

I love being here for these conversations.

d'aww that is pretty sweet, pretty awesome that your family games together.

I haven't been able to touch the game in a few months, I really let the city go to ruins and can't bring myself to put it back together.

#24 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ohh, the guilt.

Know that feel, bro.

#25 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:17 AM

I thought this was gonna be about Steam as a whole and thought it was gonna be about FNAF.

/sigh

What's the deal with FNAF? Like, why is everyone obsessed with it?

The kids in my vg class always talk about that and Terraria, and Terraria is pretty rad so I get that, but FNAF just relies on jumpscares? I watched Markiplier play it and cool concept, but I don't get why it's getting two sequels and all this attention.

#26 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

What's the deal with FNAF? Like, why is everyone obsessed with it?

The kids in my vg class always talk about that and Terraria, and Terraria is pretty rad so I get that, but FNAF just relies on jumpscares? I watched Markiplier play it and cool concept, but I don't get why it's getting two sequels and all this attention.

People love to love shit? That's the only way I can rationalize it. It's just like Amnesia. Gameplay is weak, relies totally on things popping out on you, which you can't fight or defeat.

Funny how people hate quicktime events, though... PRESS THIS BUTTON TO NOT- OH TOO BAD YOU'RE DEAD

Amnesia/FNAF are basically those.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#27 Sophientis

Sophientis

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationInside my room

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Skyrim...But I keep making new characters. I've only spend 75 hours on a single character at a time.

tumblr_n98h1pNiU71qkw2uho1_500.gif

#28 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

Beacuse the fandom .

#29 Sophientis

Sophientis

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationInside my room

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

Mister Sympa, your signature reminds me of NF People...Was that on purpose?

tumblr_n98h1pNiU71qkw2uho1_500.gif

#30 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

What, like, us? Nope! Coincidence! It's from Ninja Sex Party's Dragon Slayer vid.

#31 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

FNaF is more than just the jumpscares. It's a pretty neat indie game [although from a /really/ weird dev] that uses minimalism and unfamiliar mechanics to create the feeling of helplessness that gives most horror games that great ambient atmosphere, or at least used to.

People don't get that horror games are way different any other genre. Most other genres focus on spectacular visuals and over the top gameplay to get the create a unique experience for the player and anyone watching. Horror games have to rely on creating an atmosphere of fear for the player, something most AAA devs seem to struggle with more and more as they try to shoehorn in graphics and other things that don't necessarily lend themselves to the goal of creating that frightening atmosphere. FNaF reminds me of kinda a "back to the roots" type of horror game, with strange, unfamiliar controls, cryptic visual feedback, and an oozing sense of helplessness.

The sequels, though, stem directly from an inexperienced, quirky dev and a fanbase too large for a small dev group to handle.

#32 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, Wolfie!

I've been meaning to start a FNAF thread, to show off the COOL SHIT that people've done, but.

This weekend, probably.

#33 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

In no particular order; Total War: Shogun 2, Path of Exile, Quake Live, Team Fortress 2, Euro truck Simulator 2.

Probably have more hours on Age of Empires I, II, III than all my Steam games combined.

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War and it's expansions kept me busy for a few years.

#34 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

Skyrim...But I keep making new characters. I've only spend 75 hours on a single character at a time.

75 hours really isn't that bad I think.

In no particular order; Total War: Shogun 2, Path of Exile, Quake Live, Team Fortress 2, Euro truck Simulator 2.

Probably have more hours on Age of Empires I, II, III than all my Steam games combined.

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War and it's expansions kept me busy for a few years.

We need actual times so we can judge you. :P

nmjUGDL.jpg

#35 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

But what's the best game everyone has played on Steam?

I'd say Painkiller: Black Edition.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#36 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

Best game for me is probably Age of Empires or Skyrim.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#37 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

You should probably play Painkiller: Black Edition.  It's the FPS that proved to me that all of them weren't shit.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#38 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

I was killing Rocksmith for about a month but I'm losing my urge to play it and have hit a massive wall. I can't even make myself play lately because I have no desire to. So I've been zoning out to indie games like Papers, please and The Cat Lady.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#39 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

I was killing Rocksmith for about a month but I'm losing my urge to play it and have hit a massive wall. I can't even make myself play lately because I have no desire to. So I've been zoning out to indie games like Papers, please and The Cat Lady.

Shovel Knight was fantastic.  Highly recommend.  Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams was pretty good as well.

#40 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

We need actual times so we can judge you. :P

I see how it is.

Euro Truck Sim 2 - 34 hours, Path of Exile -  108 hours, Quake Live - 28 hours, TW: Shogun 2 - 13 hours.

Those aren't big numbers, mehh

Age of Empires would eclipse all that though, been out for nearly 18 years. Similar with Dawn of War, which I recently decided to get on Steam using my key. Sadly didn't work for Dark Crusade though =(

As for Team Fortress, I play it often but get bored after one match.

Vindictus is something that's tickled my fancy recently, probably clock up some hours on that.