• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EpicDudeNic

EpicDudeNic

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

I plan to make a video game, but this requires help. I can do the maps and character models with the program I am using, but I will need a writer, a group of voice actors,and somebody who can design a logo. I will get the software sometime in January, and then the heavy work gets done. If this game turns out great I am going sell it and split the profits with the people who helped make the game. Add me on Skype @ NicTheOverlord to chat.

#2 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

So much nostalgia for me in this post.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#3 EpicDudeNic

EpicDudeNic

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

How so?

#4 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

Few years ago, I tried to get a major project like this off the ground. At the time, I had no experience in the world of comp sci or game design. Like you, I offered a cut of the profits as payment, because I had no money. I also made promises on things before I had even nailed down the necessary software. The whole eventually fell through for a lot of reasons, most of which related to my inexperience and naive optimism.

I'm gonna wish you the best of luck, but recommend that you cut your teeth on a smaller project first. Check out ludum dare

#5 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

Hey bud!

So the cold, hard truth is unless you pay them upfront, you're going to find very few people who are willing to help you. Making a game is really hard and you're asking people to lend in their talents and effort in their spare time for only the chance of seeing some cash. It's not worth it to most people, especially for those with considerable talent. Projects like these get started and fail all the time, they have no reason to believe yours will succeed. 

My suggestion would be to attempt it yourself. You seem to imply you've got the coding skill, which is one of the hardest steps (usually we get people with only a story and asking for programmers) so you only need the artistic side of things to make up for it. Developing a logo in Photoshop isn't too hard, and as for voice acting, when your game is ready, ask some friends who might be interested. 

I hope your project goes well. From the format it looks like you copy-pasted it a few places so I hope you find someone else on another forum.

#6 EpicDudeNic

EpicDudeNic

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

Hell I'm really not asking for extraordinary talent. I was thinking I could get a group of people who have always wanted to make a game (that are not actually professionals) to do the voice acting, designing, etc. I could use pretty much anyone with a passion for gaming.

#7 EpicDudeNic

EpicDudeNic

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:06 AM

Well things are already looking up for me. Found a voice acting forum where people try to get their name out by doing free voice acting for projects.

Check it out: http://voiceacting.proboards.com/

#8 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Good for you. Again, best of luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game, videogame, makegame, makingvideogame, videogamemaking