23 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

http://www.dailymail...eal-wounds.html

Within 15 seconds this plant-based gel stops even profuse bleeding. It could potentially minimize the chances of people bleeding to death. I approve.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

The thing about this is that humanity will inevitably create a means of neutralizing this stuff for warfare purposes.

It's a "Take one step forward; take one step back." deal. We'll be standing in the same place forever. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, however. If we're in the same place, things shouldn't get worse.

The universe is basically in an eternal state of whack-a-mole, or at least that's my politically uninformed view. It just feels that way.

#3 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:27 AM

The thing about this is that humanity will inevitably create a means of neutralizing this stuff for warfare purposes.

Not likely.
When this stuff becomes approved, it's more like going to be distributed as a humanitarian item than be "neutralized". It's much easier for one and neutralizing would mean more money and more scientists to work on it, to me the idea seems fruitless. 

Good find though, this would seriously advance wound care, and this stuff would probably relatively cheap to produce if it's a plant polymer.

Put the band-aid guys out of business, that's for sure. But I have to say, it would definitely be more sterile and I suspect wound dressings wouldn't need to be changed as often with this stuff. Sounds like win-win-win all round.

Because I can...

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't think it'd put bandaids out of business, since at least currently this stuff is only really useful in sterile environments, I think.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

I wonder how it is compared to QuikClot http://www.quikclot.com/

Stuff works great in the field, but once they get the person to a doctor it causes some serious problems cleaning the wound. 

It's a "Take one step forward; take one step back." deal. We'll be standing in the same place forever. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, however. If we're in the same place, things shouldn't get worse.

The universe is basically in an eternal state of whack-a-mole, or at least that's my politically uninformed view. It just feels that way.

That's not how war works anymore. If we want someone dead, no amount of clotting gel is going to save them from a drone attack.  It's no longer about massive unaimed damage, it's all about precision strikes. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Not likely.
When this stuff becomes approved, it's more like going to be distributed as a humanitarian item than be "neutralized". It's much easier for one and neutralizing would mean more money and more scientists to work on it, to me the idea seems fruitless. 

That's not how war works anymore. If we want someone dead, no amount of clotting gel is going to save them from a drone attack.  It's no longer about massive unaimed damage, it's all about precision strikes. 

Ha ha, I guess I shouldn't have tried discussing politics/warfare. I'm not really good with that stuff.

I guess I was just trying to make myself think that I could contribute something positively meaningful to other people's lives instead of realizing that I'm going to be a constant burden on everyone I come in contact with. An ignorant social abomination destined to wander digital and concrete realms, drowning others' kindness in an infinite well of want and laziness, chipping away at peers' good-natured composure until their personalities degenerate into the demeanor of Sisyphus, confusedly stammering and appalling like a confused abortion's malformed soul turned demon wandering the muted and loneliest pits of hell forever.

On another note, Taco Bell put way too much ice in their sodas.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

That's a pretty shitty reaction to someone disagreeing with you. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

I don't think it'd put bandaids out of business, since at least currently this stuff is only really useful in sterile environments, I think.

Not currently, or possibly any time soon, but they said in the video that they wanted to mass produce the stuff. Put in every med kit, stick it every mother's purse and as soon as that happens, it definitely could put traditional band aids off the market. Kid gets a cut, mum pulls out a little ampule of the veti-gel, snap off the thing that keeps it sterile, squirt on wound, wait for the clotting in the blood to naturally occur, the stuff just falls off. Sounds much more sterile and efficient than band-aids to me and you don't need to put pressure on the wound to stop it from bleeding out.
Great for first aid, you'd never need to use a tourniquet to staunch bleeding.

Because I can...

#9 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:33 AM

I for one, approve. Maybe they can give me some for these disgusting fucking semi-infected blisters on my feet that won't close up because LEATHER FUCKING SHOES.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

Socks, gol. You're supposed to wear socks with shoes. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Socks, gol. You're supposed to wear socks with shoes. 

This is exactly what I was thinking :P

Because I can...

#12 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Right? I wear leather work boots damn near every day and no blisters.

I feel like his parents missed teaching him an important step. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#13 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Just weighing in that my work shoes are also leather, and I also don't get blisters.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#14 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

How verified is this? I know enough about the Mail to be dubious.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

http://medicalxpress...mer-wounds.html

http://www.suneris.co/vetigel/

http://www.medicalda...d-future-311514

http://www.cnet.com/...ing-in-seconds/

LL1Yc5i.gif

#16 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

Upon further reflection, I have no idea what I was talking about.

Forgive me, I was on a weird medication when I wrote this.

But still, way too much ice.

#17 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

Upon further reflection, I have no idea what I was talking about.

If I ever write a book, I want that to be the foreword.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#18 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

If I ever write a book, I want that to be the foreword.

That would be an amazing foreword.

Because I can...

#19 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

No worries, meds do weird things to your mind. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

@Spleen, Rose, etc. Y'all don't wear fucking half brogues though. They are the creation of the devil. >.>

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.