• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CopeSuperComputer

CopeSuperComputer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

Im looking at creating a cluster out of 3 raspberry pi's with the idea to upgrade the system. Im looking at using the system to run simulations and possibly graphics design software.

1) How do I connect 3 raspberry pi's together to create a cluster computer.

- Im 18 and fairly tech savvy but never tried to create a networking system before. I know whats going on with hardware    but by no means am I a Supernerd with networks.

2) Will I be able to add extra raspberries after I've run software on it etc.

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

It's been done over ethernet before, and that would probably be the best option, considering the relatively low computational power of these.

http://www.tldp.org/...ng-HOWTO-3.html

nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 CopeSuperComputer

CopeSuperComputer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

yeah the power kind of sucks on them but its a little challenge to see how I can build a bigger one over time. money constraints etc.

Will I bottleneck my network btw? Ive already got 5 -6 home computers connected to a wifi. Id be buying a new router to do this so id have two routers in the house. I assume because the raspberry pi's are only using the local network they won't slow down computers that are trying to connect to the internet?

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

You're going to want a switch, not a router. It shouldn't cause any problems. All information should transfer through the switch and not leak over to your internet. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 CopeSuperComputer

CopeSuperComputer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

oh ok. Told you I wasn't the best with networking lol. I assume that keeps all the data passing between the raspberry's from being sent over the full network and acts kind of like the old lan gaming (flight sim ftw) connecting 2 computers together?

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

Pretty much.

You might want to practice some networking before you go this path though. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 CopeSuperComputer

CopeSuperComputer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

yeah ill defo look at networking before I try doing this. Ill have to get used to linux too. Not my favourite os by far but better for this sort of thing from what I can gather.

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm thinking everything on RaspberryPi is in linux anyways. Start off with some basics. Run it in a VM and toy with network settings.  

nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 CopeSuperComputer

CopeSuperComputer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

thanks for the advice ill let everyone know if I get anything working. have a feeling it might take a while though.