Photo

Comodo Dragon

#comodo #dragon #incognito #anonymous #encrypted add-on vpn full-scale co-existence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pendragon

Pendragon

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Fellow Mammals,

I'm very new to the forum and lacking the knowledge of where to post these question I like to place them here.

I've come to understand that BigData is a very real fact and that's why I wanted to enable my Comodo Dragon browser with the best security available.

First I set my referred and Alternate DNS Server settings to the ones provided by Comodo.

I thought this might (as written on their site) traffic my internet activity over their server system instead of my provider's. Now, I tried to check this simply by using the "tracert" command in Command Prompt my Windows 7 OS. It still showed IP Addresses from my provider along the way and I don't really know what to make of it. I assume the cmd.exe takes a different path than my Comodo Dragon but I'm not sure about this. 

Then I searched the web for even better settings and followed the instructions from this link

I copied the part about the add-ons I've installed on the Comodo Dragon:

Hide My Ass! Web Proxy:  This one let's you enter the URL of a website you want to visit and it proxies it so the owner doesn't know your IP address. 

ScriptNo: This isn't all so different from the Firefox extension "NoScript".  

AdBlock Plus for Google Chrome: This is a fantastic app - a real must for everyone.  It cleans out web-pages and makes them load faster by removing ads. 

WOT (Web of Trust): This is another must have extension.  It lets you know what websites are safe to visit and what isn't.  It also will let you know whether the web page is suitable to minors.

Now when I open Comodo Dragon it enters Incognito mode (mentioned in the text I linked to) and I wonder about these points:

1. Does it still apply the add-ons I've installed? (e.g. are my searches still encrypted?) I've enabled them in Incognito Mode, of course. I wonder how clean they'll work together.
2. The option to "Switch Into Virtual Mode" must be something similar to a Virtual Machine on a computer, I guess. What does it mean regarding the state of being untraceable (incognito with encrypted data). Is it some sort of VPN? 
3. Do the mentioned extensions work together or is one of the giving out data, it should give out?

I understand this may seem sort of chaotic, but I'm new to the whole thing and wish to learn more.

regards

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

I feel this isn't a regular post, but a coded message

where are our crypo-whatever guys?

#3 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

First I set my referred and Alternate DNS Server settings to the ones provided by Comodo.

I thought this might (as written on their site) traffic my internet activity over their server system instead of my provider's. Now, I tried to check this simply by using the "tracert" command in Command Prompt my Windows 7 OS. It still showed IP Addresses from my provider along the way and I don't really know what to make of it. I assume the cmd.exe takes a different path than my Comodo Dragon but I'm not sure about this.

DNS, or domain name server, takes a name (such as nerdforum.org, or google.com) and resolves it to an IP address. Basically, when you're visiting a page or connecting to any other machine it needs to know the IP to connect, so when you try to look things up by a name it needs to resolve it to an IP. A DNS can theoretically log your traffic to know what domain names you've attempted to resolve, but your ISP is still the one handling the connection and can see all traffic in between you and whatever you're connected to.

Hide My Ass! Web Proxy:  This one let's you enter the URL of a website you want to visit and it proxies it so the owner doesn't know your IP address. 

Normally when you visit a webpage, you establish a connection between your computer and the server directly. A web proxy is another server in between the two of you.

So normally you would have

Your PC -> Web server (page request)

Your PC <- Web server (sending the data to your PC to view)

With a web proxy the connection is as follows

Your PC -> Web proxy (telling it to request such and such page)

Web proxy -> Web server (page request)

Web proxy <- Web server (sending data)

Your PC <- Web proxy (sending the data to your PC to view)

This way the web server can't log your IP to track your visit(s).

The option to "Switch Into Virtual Mode"

This is commonly referred to as sandboxing. Basically, it's letting webpages run inside of a little fenced off playpen - any malicious stuff they try to do to your PC is stuck within the sandbox and won't relegate out. Do note that this doesn't mean you're immune to getting viruses from your browser, it's basically just added security. Unless there's a drawback to using virtual mode in comodo (I haven't used it) I would always have virtual mode on.

This is a decent start. If you want to be untraceable by your ISP you should get a VPN service, but even at that the VPN service is still going to be able to see what you're doing (and in most cases slow your speeds down a little bit).

Additionally, it would be wise to use throwaway temp emails for forums and not have social media accounts (facebook, twitter twatter, linkedin, etc) and I would argue the data they get from you is far worse than having your traffic tracked.