7 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

A team of researchers at Michigan State University has developed a new type of solar concentrator that when placed over a window creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window.

It is called a transparent luminescent solar concentrator and can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a clear surface.
And, according to Richard Lunt of MSU’s College of Engineering, the key word is “transparent.”
Research in the production of energy from solar cells placed around luminescent plastic-like materials is not new. These past efforts, however, have yielded poor results – the energy production was inefficient and the materials were highly colored.
“No one wants to sit behind colored glass,” said Lunt, an assistant professor of chemical engineering and materials science. “It makes for a very colorful environment, like working in a disco. We take an approach where we actually make the luminescent active layer itself transparent.”
The solar harvesting system uses small organic molecules developed by Lunt and his team to absorb specific nonvisible wavelengths of sunlight.
“We can tune these materials to pick up just the ultraviolet and the near infrared wavelengths that then ‘glow’ at another wavelength in the infrared,” he said.
The “glowing” infrared light is guided to the edge of the plastic where it is converted to electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.
“Because the materials do not absorb or emit light in the visible spectrum, they look exceptionally transparent to the human eye,” Lunt said.
One of the benefits of this new development is its flexibility. While the technology is at an early stage, it has the potential to be scaled to commercial or industrial applications with an affordable cost.
“It opens a lot of area to deploy solar energy in a non-intrusive way,” Lunt said. “It can be used on tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader. Ultimately we want to make solar harvesting surfaces that you do not even know are there.”
Lunt said more work is needed in order to improve its energy-producing efficiency. Currently it is able to produce a solar conversion efficiency close to 1 percent, but noted they aim to reach efficiencies beyond 5 percent when fully optimized. The best colored LSC has an efficiency of around 7 percent.
The research was featured on the cover of a recent issue of the journal Advanced Optical Materials.
Other members of the research team include Yimu Zhao, an MSU doctoral student in chemical engineering and materials science; Benjamin Levine, assistant professor of chemistry; and Garrett Meek, doctoral student in chemistry.

http://msutoday.msu....block-the-view/

This is pretty cool on a lot of levels, and can have a huge impact on energy needs. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

That's really really cool. Imagine if a whole skyscraper had them fitted. Just think of the potential if large, sunny cities such as Lagos, Houston and Yuma ran some sort of scheme to create tax breaks or partial subsidies for companies that fitted them. There'd probably be a surge in cleaner energy.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, most of the buildings in houston have a ton of glass; http://images.kaneva...72/100_1647.jpg

I could see this being a big thing, we already do a bunch of tax breaks for solar and wind power. I can imagine the nicer houses having them as well. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Oh wow! I was trying to think of a of a solution for the current solar panels recently actually. I read this article last night, the mirror effect of the solar panels singed the feathers of birds overhead. I was trying to figure out if there was a solution. Transparent panels would work.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rhead-1.2739512

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

We had an issue here last year with windows being slightly concave and it was melting the vinyl siding off of the neighboring houses. I'm assuming this solution doesn't reflect anything back more than a normal piece of glass would? 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Theoretically, yeah I think it would reflect like glass, but I'm not sure, since it only looks transparent and still reflects light out of our spectrum of vision. Does glass still do that? I think I've confused myself.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

At some point it does. This particular issue was that it was double pane glass with a vacuum between instead of a nitrogen or argon fill, so it sucked the glass in a bit. I know somehow they are scattering more light to the edges though. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

But, then theoretically, you might have a problem of refraction resulting in an ant-and-magnifying-glass situation.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif